News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

Separating the sticky topics from the normal ones

Started by Alexandre P., September 05, 2004, 06:23:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alexandre P.

Hi,

I would like to know how to separate the sticky topics from the rest of the normal topics.  Like what you could see on this IPB-powered board or this PhpBB-powered board: the sticky topics are separated from the normal ones.

I believe this modification should be made in MessageIndex.template.php, around line 126 or 156, but I don't know how to determine if a topic is sticky or normal :-\

Thanks all :)
Aucun support par M.P., courriel ou messagerie instantanée / No support by P.M., email or I.M.

[Unknown]

I remember telling Owdy how to do this one.  Where did that topic go?

-[Unknown]

Ben_S

Tips and tricks I beleive.

Well it did, but now the topic is in the bin ???

MessageIndex.template.php

Find
foreach($context['topics'] as $topic)
{

Replace With

$stickybar = false;
$normalbar = false;
foreach($context['topics'] as $topic)
{
if($topic['is_sticky'] && !$stickybar)
{
echo'<tr class="titlebg"><td colspan="', empty($options['display_quick_mod']) ? '7' : '8', '"><b>Important Topics</b></td></tr>';
$stickybar = true;
}
else if(!$topic['is_sticky'] && $stickybar && !$normalbar)
{
echo'<tr class="titlebg"><td colspan="', empty($options['display_quick_mod']) ? '7' : '8', '"><b>Normal Topics</b></td></tr>';
$normalbar = true;
}

I take no credit for that, just a copy and paste.
Liverpool FC Forum with 14 million+ posts.

I accomplished the same thing on my board differently with less code (my method probably sucks).

Find:

foreach ($context['topics'] as $topic)
{

Add after:

if (isset($previousTopicClass))
echo (ereg("sticky", $previousTopicClass) && !ereg("sticky", $topic['class'])) ? '
<tr>
<td>&nbsp;</td>
<td colspan="5">' . $txt[70] . '</td>
</tr>' : '';

$previousTopicClass = $topic['class'];

[Unknown]

I would make it:

if (isset($previousTopicClass) && strpos($previousTopicClass, 'sticky') !== false && !$topic['is_sticky'])
echo '
<tr>
<td>&nbsp;</td>
<td colspan="5">' . $txt[70] . '</td>
</tr>';

-[Unknown]

Alexandre P.

Aucun support par M.P., courriel ou messagerie instantanée / No support by P.M., email or I.M.

TarantinoArchives

I think the second solution doesnt look very elegant. The first one seems to be more into what the idea behind this is, to mark those "important" and all.

somehow, when i tried out the first solution, it gives me a parsing error and something about single quotes and all. could somebody in here check this one and maybe post a better solution, that would be very nice. I think this should actually be part of SMF as an admin option, kinda like "enable seperating of sticky topics" or something like that

TarantinoArchives

ah well, here's what i did now:

if (isset($previousTopicClass) && strpos($previousTopicClass, 'sticky') !== false && !$topic['is_sticky'])
      echo '
         <tr class="titlebg">
         <td colspan="2">&nbsp;</td>
         <td colspan="7">&nbsp;</td>
         </tr>';

basically, the sedong TD can have some title like "normal topics", the first TD is just to align it. I added the TR class to have the bar in the same CSS style

evolus

~Tyris~

Awhile ago this script was posted... but i cant find it now it would be nice to use it to make things look neater; was just wondering if the code could be re-posted? thanks! :)

A.M.A

Really sorry .. real life is demanding my full attention .. will be back soon hopefully :)

Wolfden

can someone clarify this file name tho?  MessageIndex.template.php   - I'm not finding a template.php

Wolfden

ahhh I found it, taking me a bit to get use to the smf file system

SilentNoise

Quote from: TarantinoArchives on September 07, 2004, 03:33:12 PM
ah well, here's what i did now:

echo '
         <tr class="titlebg">
         </tr>';

basically, the sedong TD can have some title like "normal topics", the first TD is just to align it. I added the TR class to have the bar in the same CSS style

This is exactly what I was looking for, except for one thing... I was hoping to make that bar about 1/2 the height. Is there any way to change this?

[Unknown]

echo '
<tr class="titlebg" style="font-size: 1ex;">
</tr>';

-[Unknown]

SilentNoise

That didn't do anything to shrink the height of the seperator line. ???

TarantinoArchives' board shows the size that I'm roughly looking for: http://tarantino.loucreative.de/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=480e0db079a06cab594c0b26163b269b&board=4.0

[Unknown]

SilentNoise

oh ya.... I'm tired, and should go to bed.

Thanks again guys

Nederland

Advertisement: