News:

SMF 2.1.4 has been released! Take it for a spin! Read more.

Main Menu

[Accepted] Uploadable Avatars

Started by Joel, August 03, 2003, 10:02:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spaceman-Spiff

just a suggestion: i think blank.gif file should be put in images directory, not avatars
some admins out there tend to delete blank.gif accidentally when changing the whole avatar set, and users cant use blank avatar anymore

Compuart

Though I agree this might be a problem for some admins, changing the directory for just blank.gif is a little laborious. I hope all admins read this and promise to never delete blank.gif again ;D
Hendrik Jan Visser
Former Lead Developer & Co-founder www.simplemachines.org
Personal Signature:
Realitynet.nl -> ExpeditieRobinson.net / PekingExpress.org / WieIsDeMol.Com

Joel

I notice in the profile description it says that the image must be JPG or GIF. Could you add PNG as well?

Anyway, great work, Compuart! Thanks a million!

Grudge

Wow - looking great!!

The resize feature is a really nifty feature. I assume when the use selects their own avatar (non uploaded) and it is to big it is uploaded to the server, resized and set as their avatar? If that is the case that is really well thought out!
I'm only a half geek really...

BiErLeEuW

[Unknown]

Yup, Compuart always does awesome stuff.

-[Unknown]

Spaceman-Spiff

GD cant resize GIF images, can it?

[Unknown]

Quote from: Spaceman-Spiff on August 11, 2003, 07:07:18 PM
GD cant resize GIF images, can it?

Well, yes and no.  GD 2 can do imagecopyresampled...

-[Unknown]

Compuart

Quote from: Joel on August 11, 2003, 04:28:34 PM
I notice in the profile description it says that the image must be JPG or GIF. Could you add PNG as well?
lol, I've been working on that screen for hours, no days and I didn't even read that description :o :P
(but yes, gif, jpg, png and bmp are resized and even more formats are allowed as external image)

QuoteAnyway, great work, Compuart! Thanks a million!
Quote from: Grudge on August 11, 2003, 04:50:41 PMWow - looking great!!
Quote from: BiErLeEuW on August 11, 2003, 05:00:23 PMnice new option!
Quote from: [Unknown] on August 11, 2003, 05:53:11 PM
Yup, Compuart always does awesome stuff.

QuoteThe resize feature is a really nifty feature. I assume when the use selects their own avatar (non uploaded) and it is to big it is uploaded to the server, resized and set as their avatar? If that is the case that is really well thought out!
yep, that's the case. It'll only work if you have GD module installed and if you are allowed to use the copy function on url's.
Quote from: Spaceman-Spiff on August 11, 2003, 07:07:18 PMGD cant resize GIF images, can it?
Some versions can. For those versions that can't I'm using a free-to-distribute library, which you can download worldwide, but are only allowed to use it in America   ;)
Hendrik Jan Visser
Personal Signature:

Spaceman-Spiff

::) that kinda sucks...

well, cant we just convert gifs to pngs, that will solve the problem

Compuart

Quote from: Spaceman-Spiff on August 11, 2003, 09:09:49 PMwell, cant we just convert gifs to pngs, that will solve the problem
That's what it does in the first place. As soon as it sees it's gif it tries to use GD (and on failure the PHP library) to convert the image to png. But it's still not legal in Europe. So, when I was developing this, I must have been temporarily unaware of where I was at that moment ;)
Hendrik Jan Visser
Personal Signature:

Joel

Thanks again Compuart! You rock! :)

Nikita

Hi Compuart...

Any idea on how the avatar on the index page can be resized in SMF 2.0 to a fixed size...

Thanks.

Consle 4 talk

Advertisement: