News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

Override SEF Checks

Started by SleePy, July 21, 2007, 06:40:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SleePy

Link to Mod

This Mod is intended for those who are unable to use SEF URLS because of checks that fail but are still able to use urls such as http://yoursite.com/forum/index.php/board,1.0.html

Make sure that urls such as http://yoursite.com/forum/index.php/board,1.0.html work on your site before enabling this option! This can cause your forum to not work. If you do happen to enable this option and it does not work on your forum you can fix this temporally until you can shut the option off by adding this to your Settings.php:
$disable_sef = true;

You can Enable the Override Option in
Admin -> Features and Options
You will find it right below the "Search engine friendly URLs" Option.
Jeremy D ~ Site Team / SMF Developer ~ GitHub Profile ~ Join us on IRC @ Libera.chat/#smf ~ Support the SMF Support team!

Daniel15

QuoteThis Mod is intended for those who are unable to use SEF URLS because of checks that fail
Basically, if your web host is running PHP as a CGI application, it is sometimes misconfigured (and SMF thinks that the friendly URLs will not work). If SMF thinks that the friendly URLs will not work, it will not use them. This mod allows you to bypass this check :)

Daniel15, former Customisation team member, resigned due to lack of time. I still love everyone here :D.
Go to smfshop.com for SMFshop support, do NOT email or PM me!

L.G.S

Sleepy you just saved my life :( :)
FREE and LIVE World Cup + Premier League football streams:

www.gamesandgoals.com

Daniel15

Quote from: L.G.S on July 22, 2007, 03:33:59 PM
Sleepy you just saved my life :( :)
Why the sad *and* smiley face? Mixed reactions? :P
Daniel15, former Customisation team member, resigned due to lack of time. I still love everyone here :D.

L.G.S

Cos I almost cried lol. Three weeks almost of my host not taking in a word I tell them got real heavy

www.gamesandgoals.com

cru

is this something like prettyURL?

SleePy

Quote from: cru on July 23, 2007, 10:02:23 AM
is this something like prettyURL?

This is the default built in SEF Urls SMF has but does not work on all server setups. This ignores the checks for the few who it still works even though the checks SMF performs says it can not do SEF Urls.
Jeremy D ~ Site Team / SMF Developer ~ GitHub Profile ~ Join us on IRC @ Libera.chat/#smf ~ Support the SMF Support team!

L.G.S

Hey I don't know if its your mod or what but I might as well ask.

I have the mod installed alongside SEO4SMF (I ask here because support for this mod takes days) and when I post in a topic, it always takes myself and my members to the first page of the topic, not their new post.

Any idea what's causing this?

www.gamesandgoals.com

SleePy

That I believe is a problem with SEO4SMF
My mod doesn't make SEF urls just uses the SMF default SEF urls ;)

forty

hi sleepy i just installed Override SEF Checks with v1.1.3 and can see that links changed  to the static link but when i click on the link it shows this note.

"No input file specified."

heres my setting

Search engine friendly URLs      =   Checked
Apache only!

Disable SEF Checks.                   =   Cheked
WARNING!: May cause SMF to fail to load, If this occurs add "$disable_sef = true;" to your Settings.php

im with dreamhost and someone told me that mod_rewrite is enabled by default.
what should i do? i installed smf 4 times already.

SleePy

I am going to assume you are running php as CGI.
try to set cgi.fix_pathinfo in your php.ini and see if this fixes it.

If that doesn't then you are unable to use SEF at all on the server/setup you have.

Daniel15

forty, that sounds like a problem with your web host rather than a problem with SMF. As SleePy said, get them to check the fix_pathinfo setting (or if you have your own php.ini, set it to "1" in there).

masss

i have installed this mod but now almost nothing is working (but finally SEO4SMF is almost working :D). What can i do? Where is the problem?

Link: http://www.spletka.org/smftest/index.php (chack Help, Search..nothing is working)

It  seems now finaaaaaaaaaaly SEO4SMF works!!!! I cant' belive it!!!! OMG!!!!!! OMG!!!!!!!! :P :P  :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

wilsy

I know SEF friendly url's work on my server (siteground) but they wont activate normally and this mod doesnt solve the problem.

I'm desperate to improve my search engine rankings - FTP/admin access to Sleepy or Daniel if they would have time to take a look? ;)

Sorry to be a pain guys, just spent another day trying without success :(

Regards,

Wilsy.

Busy RewindBikers offered to Good Home! 1000+ members, loads of mods, SMF Gallery PRO, TinyPortal installed with great use of blocks, ultimate profiles, PAID SUBSCRIPTIONS (works flawlessly), great theme, 1,500 posts per month - PM or email me if interested.

SleePy

The urls work if you manually put them in?

Are you sure the edits where made? Meaning does the uninstall pass?

wilsy

Hi Sleepy,

I had the sef url's working temporarily by amending the .htaccess file and editing a line of code in querystring.php - then I installed seo4smf and it screwed everything. I cant now remember what I did to the .htaccess or querystring.php file to make the sef url's work (but they definitely did!) :(

The edits worked as they installed and uninstalled just fine - would you take a look? ...theres a virtual beer in it for you and you would have a friend for life! ;)

Regards,

Wilsy.

Busy RewindBikers offered to Good Home! 1000+ members, loads of mods, SMF Gallery PRO, TinyPortal installed with great use of blocks, ultimate profiles, PAID SUBSCRIPTIONS (works flawlessly), great theme, 1,500 posts per month - PM or email me if interested.

SleePy

SEO4SMF is a complete different mod.

My mod overrides the default SMF checks for the built-in SEF features in SMF.

wilsy

Hi Sleepy,

I understand that. I think I may have put it badly (:

Basically I know that the SEF friendly URL's work on my server as they have done so before, although I had to perform a workaround to get them to function. I have installed your mod with no problems but the sef friendly url's still dont work :(

Regards,

Rick.

SleePy

Did you enable the option?
It adds a new option next to your SEF settings to override the checks.

wilsy

Yes, I enabled it and it did make the links change but when you clicked on them they were dead links.

Regards,

Wilsy.

Advertisement: