News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

Why the long faces?

Started by erlend_sh, August 17, 2007, 08:25:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

青山 素子

Quote from: AmyStephen on August 19, 2007, 01:45:56 AM
Whether or not the distribution of JoomlaHacks bridge violates Joomla!'s license is not SMF's concern because it's not their bridge.

While you are free to speak your mind on things, please be respectful. If we want to make an observation, we have just as much right as you to post it.

Frankly, you aren't part of the SMF or Joomla! teams, so your words can be just as much applied to yourself, in that the issues between SMF and Joomla! aren't your concern.

Now, lets go back on topic please.
Motoko-chan
Director, Simple Machines

Note: Unless otherwise stated, my posts are not representative of any official position or opinion of Simple Machines.

AmyStephen

Quote from: Motoko-chan on August 19, 2007, 03:21:13 AM
While you are free to speak your mind on things, please be respectful. If we want to make an observation, we have just as much right as you to post it.

Motoko-chan - my comment was not intended to be disrespectful, it was just truthful. The question was asked why people don't just use the JoomlaHacks Bridge. You and Orstio immediately commented that the JoomlaHacks Bridge violates Joomla's GPL. That response did not answer the poster's question. It was the type of response that might cause others to believe it's not okay to use the JoomlaHacks Bridge because official SMF people mentioned license infringement.

I wanted to clarify for them - the JoomlaHacks Bridge is not SMF's concern.

I could care less about Joomla! and SMF relationships, so no worries there. It's *people* who use software - those who are in a lurch right now - that I was hoping to clarify the fact that the JoomlaHacks Bridge is, indeed, a valid choice. Since that was the original question in the first post - I think it was on topic.

Sorry for the confusion and I very much appreciate the opportunity to be able to clarify this. In time, this will all work out. The best thing we can all do is be clear and truthful and specific with our comments. If we do that, we provide people with valid information and trust them to make the right choice for their needs.
Amy :)

flame baiter

Why should it be a valid choice if it violates Joomla's GPL as well?

Thantos

Quote from: AmyStephen on August 19, 2007, 10:37:27 AM
I wanted to clarify for them - the JoomlaHacks Bridge is not SMF's concern.
Yes and no.  We certainly aren't going to lose any sleep over the joomlahacks bridge being compliant or not.  At the same time we aren't going to point our users to something that (in its current form) might become unavailable.  That really doesn't solve anyone's long term problems.

I could care less about Joomla! and SMF relationships
I'm happy to hear that you care about our relationships.

Orstio

QuoteI wanted to clarify for them - the JoomlaHacks Bridge is not SMF's concern.

It might be.  It is a fork of my earlier (GPL) work.  I may still own copyright on some of the code.

Douglas

Let me see something here....  How many times did you link to the JB in the quoted text below?

Quote from: AmyStephen on August 19, 2007, 10:37:27 AM
JoomlaHacks Bridge
JoomlaHacks Bridge
JoomlaHacks Bridge
JoomlaHacks Bridge
JoomlaHacks Bridge
  Wow, five times.  Once was MORE than enough.  No need to spam the link here.

Second of all, as was pointed out several times, you are NOT an OFFICIAL member of either team.  Joomla has a rep here, and a nice one at that.  Since YOU are not a member of the Joomla team, please stop representing yourself as such.

Onward...

QuoteThat response did not answer the poster's question. It was the type of response that might cause others to believe it's not okay to use the JoomlaHacks Bridge because official SMF people mentioned license infringement.
Actually, this was explained from an official SMF standpoint in the News & Announcements forum.  Any further concerns to that should be directed to the OFFICIAL points of contact.  The issue isn't up for debate.  Period.

QuoteI wanted to clarify for them - the JoomlaHacks Bridge is not SMF's concern.
There you go, trying to sound like an official rep.  You're not.  Back down, lady.

QuoteI could care less about Joomla! and SMF relationships
Then why the heck are you over HERE trying to stir up trouble?  The final decision is in, stop stirring the pot already.

QuoteSorry for the confusion and I very much appreciate the opportunity to be able to clarify this.
It is not YOUR responsibility to clear the air here...

QuoteThe best thing we can all do is be clear and truthful and specific with our comments.
I disagree.  The best thing that we can do is have you stop responding and stirring the pot with this.  This has NOTHING to do with you, as evidenced in your replies, both on here, and on the Joomla site.

There's a word that's been coined on these here intarwabs, especially when requested that you stop reporesenting yourself like you're a member of either team and trying to hand out edicts:  troll.

Brad, I'm sorry, you know I got a lot of respect for ya, but this person seriously needs to be reigned in.  Granted, you can't control what people say, but she's doing nothing but stirring the pot on both sites, which isn't helping the situation any.

Put it to rest, AmyStephen.  You've already said you don't give two sh*ts about Joomla and SMF's relationship.  That means you have no dog in this fight.  Back off before you bury yourself any further, please.
Doug Hazard
* Full Stack (Web) Developer for The Catholic Diocese of Richmond
(20+ Diocesan sites, 130+ Church sites & 24 School sites)
* Sports Photographer and Media Personality
* CFB Historian
* Tech Admin for one 1M+ post, one 2M+ post and one 10M+ post sites (last two are powered by multiple servers)
* WordPress Developer (Junkie / Guru / Maven / whatever)

AmyStephen

Quote from: Orstio on August 19, 2007, 12:27:43 PM

It might be.  It is a fork of my earlier (GPL) work.  I may still own copyright on some of the code.

I'm certain you do own copyright on some of that code, Orstio. Are you suggesting JoomlaHack is working outside of the rights defined by the GPL? If so, that is absolutely your right to pursue. But, the GPL did afford them the right to fork the code and I do not believe they have violated your rights. I hope you will say so if I am wrong on that point. Your initial comments in this thread, and therefore, my response was about Joomla!'s rights and license.

Thantos - you and Motoko-chan get together and decide - am I supposed to care about that relationship, like you suggest? Or, is it none of my business, like Motoko-chan indicated? Again, I just don't see the relationship between the project teams as being "the issue." I see the end users as being the ones we should all focus on.

Both Joomla! and SMF made decisions. That is the right of both project teams. Now, that those decisions are behind us, can we *please* make valid options available to people? Then, people can make the best choices possible for their needs. That is what the original poster asked, and yes, the JoomlaHacks bridge is the choice at this point, especially for those who want to upgrade to Joomla! v 1.0.13 and stay with SMF.

Please relax. This doesn't have to be a fight and I have no interest in stirring up trouble. We can find the way if we focus on the people impacted by this situation.
Amy

Edit: Removed the link. You already linked it multiple times in your previous post, I'm sure people can find it if they look. Spamming links is not appreciated. - Motoko

Thantos

QuoteThantos - you and Motoko-chan get together and decide - am I supposed to care about that relationship, like you suggest?
Actually I was pointing out your total mangling of the saying.  "I could care less" indicates a level of caring.  "I couldn't care less" indicates that you care so little that it'd be impossible for you to care less.

flame baiter

Sorry, this is pretty off-topic but it's kind of funny that the "could care less" / "couldn't care less" debate comes up on this board. I'm a native German speaker and was VERY confused back then in Vancouver when people kept saying "could care less" but actually meant "couldn't care less" - it seems to have the very same meaning over there. I remember asking my language teacher about it (he was a very intelligent and classy fellow) and he just laughed and said:

"Well, you know...I guess we just cannot but be a little oddish at times!" 

(sorry for the off-topic guys)   o.O

Oh, and btw, his bug has already been reported.   ;)

Thantos

rofl!  Thanks for that flame baiter.  I loved the page and the graph.

gasg

Quote from: Douglas on August 19, 2007, 01:27:56 PM
Let me see something here....  How many times did you link to the JB in the quoted text below?

Second of all, as was pointed out several times, you are NOT an OFFICIAL member of either team.  Joomla has a rep here, and a nice one at that.  Since YOU are not a member of the Joomla team, please stop representing yourself as such.

Onward...

QuoteThat response did not answer the poster's question. It was the type of response that might cause others to believe it's not okay to use the JoomlaHacks Bridge because official SMF people mentioned license infringement.
Actually, this was explained from an official SMF standpoint in the News & Announcements forum.  Any further concerns to that should be directed to the OFFICIAL points of contact.  The issue isn't up for debate.  Period.

There you go, trying to sound like an official rep.  You're not.  Back down, lady.

QuoteI could care less about Joomla! and SMF relationships
Then why the heck are you over HERE trying to stir up trouble?  The final decision is in, stop stirring the pot already.

QuoteSorry for the confusion and I very much appreciate the opportunity to be able to clarify this.
It is not YOUR responsibility to clear the air here...

QuoteThe best thing we can all do is be clear and truthful and specific with our comments.
I disagree.  The best thing that we can do is have you stop responding and stirring the pot with this.  This has NOTHING to do with you, as evidenced in your replies, both on here, and on the Joomla site.

There's a word that's been coined on these here intarwabs, especially when requested that you stop reporesenting yourself like you're a member of either team and trying to hand out edicts:  troll.

Brad, I'm sorry, you know I got a lot of respect for ya, but this person seriously needs to be reigned in.  Granted, you can't control what people say, but she's doing nothing but stirring the pot on both sites, which isn't helping the situation any.

Put it to rest, AmyStephen.  You've already said you don't give two sh*ts about Joomla and SMF's relationship.  That means you have no dog in this fight.  Back off before you bury yourself any further, please.
TRUE!

anna.young

Quote from: AmyStephen on August 19, 2007, 03:48:29 PM
...I see the end users as being the ones we should all focus on.

Edit: Removed the link. You already linked it multiple times in your previous post, I'm sure people can find it if they look. Spamming links is not appreciated. - Motoko

I consider myself an END USER, Amy Stephenson and I certainly do not wish YOU focusing on me and I certainly do not need YOUR input. Your site in your profile does not appear to be a Joomla site and I am not able to find the SMF forum there. 

Even though I am just an END USER does not mean that I am stupid and need to be spoon fed by you or anyone else some philosophical/political/legal crap...

So thank you Amy for caring about me, an end user of both Joomla and SMF, but please be assured that I receive here a very good, professional support by people whose opinion I respect and trust...

Of course, I don't represent any other end users and this is just my personal opinion.

Anna

Edit: spelling error
Toronto German Shepherd Dog Rescue

"Here's to the crazy ones, the misfits, the rebels, the troublemakers, the round pegs in the square holes... the ones who see things differently -- they're not fond of rules... You can quote them, disagree with them, glorify or vilify them, but the only thing you can't do is ignore them because they change things... they push the human race forward, and while some may see them as the crazy ones, we see genius, because the ones who are crazy enough to think that they can change the world, are the ones who do." (SJ)

anna.young

As to the original question, I'm still wading through various CMSs including Mambo, Elxir and Typo3.  I'm definitely staying with SMF and I definitely need my site integrated/bridged

I got another domain just to experiment with various systems before I commit myself to one.  It's a long and frustrating road.

The limited number of extensions of Mambo is a drawback, Elxir has some colorful group of committed people but it's hard to know where they are heading.  Typo3 seems like an awesome system with thousands of extensions but it took me a month just to install it...  and now six weeks later I'm only beginning to grasp the concepts...

No, I do not intend to stay with Joomla, I do not intend to support that system.  The way the latest 'cracking' of their sites was handled by them sealed my decision to move.

I'm not going to rush, maybe still look at some other options... looking at other websites, there is a whole world of choices out there...  ;)

Anna
Toronto German Shepherd Dog Rescue

"Here's to the crazy ones, the misfits, the rebels, the troublemakers, the round pegs in the square holes... the ones who see things differently -- they're not fond of rules... You can quote them, disagree with them, glorify or vilify them, but the only thing you can't do is ignore them because they change things... they push the human race forward, and while some may see them as the crazy ones, we see genius, because the ones who are crazy enough to think that they can change the world, are the ones who do." (SJ)

Douglas

Anna, check your PMs, please.
Doug Hazard
* Full Stack (Web) Developer for The Catholic Diocese of Richmond
(20+ Diocesan sites, 130+ Church sites & 24 School sites)
* Sports Photographer and Media Personality
* CFB Historian
* Tech Admin for one 1M+ post, one 2M+ post and one 10M+ post sites (last two are powered by multiple servers)
* WordPress Developer (Junkie / Guru / Maven / whatever)

AmyStephen

Quote from: Thantos on August 19, 2007, 05:06:22 PM
QuoteThantos - you and Motoko-chan get together and decide - am I supposed to care about that relationship, like you suggest?
Actually I was pointing out your total mangling of the saying.  "I could care less" indicates a level of caring.  "I couldn't care less" indicates that you care so little that it'd be impossible for you to care less.

You are right. That was a poor word choice and I apologize for the inconsiderate remark. It truly was not intended as it sounded.

zigzag

Like others I'm stuck as a; I can't afford to loose my url's & b; I've bought commercial components that are essential and there are no other workable/working alternatives to them.

With the whole in MHO ridiculously silly Joomla GPL issue some of these component developers are not going to continue with Joomla and instead only produce for Mambo but even though the two are very similar some of my vital Joomla components don't work with Mambo and unfortunately all require a login which at present is a single one thanks to Orstio's bridge.

So personally I couldn't care less about GPL and I couldn't care even less about Joomla at this point, I just want a working, supported bridge whether i'ts  - GNU GPL, GNU LGPL, GNU FDL,  commercial  or whatever  :o

P.S. The code for the angry smiley is broken.

青山 素子

Quote from: zigzag on August 20, 2007, 02:16:36 PM
Like others I'm stuck as a; I can't afford to loose my url's & b; I've bought commercial components that are essential and there are no other workable/working alternatives to them.

Why not ask the authors if they plan to support other systems? Some of them are probably looking at doing that given non-GPL components are considered illegal now.

P.S. The code for the angry smiley is broken.

The proper code is:

>:(
Motoko-chan
Director, Simple Machines

Note: Unless otherwise stated, my posts are not representative of any official position or opinion of Simple Machines.

flame baiter

Quote from: zigzag on August 20, 2007, 02:16:36 PMWith the whole in MHO ridiculously silly Joomla GPL issue...

Yeah, so much for enforcing the GPL is all about freedom.

The fascist GPL interpretation of the Joomla! guys takes away the freedom I had before to use whatever Joomla! components I wanted to, be it proprietary, open-source or something in between.

It also takes away the freedom of developers to make new Joomla! components and publish them under whatever license they choose.

GPL and freedom? LOL, gimme a break...

Kindred

Like others I'm stuck as a; I can't afford to loose my url's

Well, I don't know about your commercial components, but the URLs for a mambo installation would be the same as for Joomla...
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

zigzag

I also rely on the Sobi2 component, as yet there is no alternative that will take paid listings - commercial or free, then there's the problem with commercial templates that may work now but probably won't later.  >:(

QuoteThe proper code is...
When you click the smiley it produces this:  >:(

Advertisement: