News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

Better registration security

Started by silverdragon, November 14, 2003, 10:34:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

silverdragon

You know that cool little image grid that PHP Nuke has when registering or logging in, that only the human eye can figure out?  The one that requires a person no read it, no bot can get by?  This one:  http://www.phpnuke.org/modules.php?name=Your_Account

Is it possible to add that as an option to SMF?  I have had more than one request for it now, and I'm thinking it may actually be good for larger forums where security is a concern.

Thanks!

SD

[Unknown]

It could be added, but there are ways to circumvent it on the large scale.  I find IP blocking to be much more effective.

But, again, it could be added.

-[Unknown]

David

Even though this can be got around, it does deter many people as they would not put forth the effort to circumvent it.
This space for rent.

Fizzy

If it does go in, please make it optional from admin panel.

When I installed this on Yabbse I found my new membership dropped from an average of 175 per month to 40.
I tried to find out why, it may have something to do with proxy but I couldn't be sure.
Either way, for many users the image of the numbers/letters just wasn't showing so they just took that as a badly organised forum and moved on.
"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." - A.E.

Advertisement: