Building community site -- your input required!

Started by wing, August 28, 2007, 11:02:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wing

Hi All,

I currently run a web forum using SMF a blog using wordpress and a gallery using plogger all integrated into my site.  The blogs using wordpress can only be written by manually registered users (employees of the company) but comments are posted by all and posted into SMF as well.  The gallery is also only accessible by employees for posting.

Here is my current site to give you can idea:  http://www.cartalkcanada.com

We plan on redoing the site graphic wise and adding features.  I could cobble together something but I would like something that is more maintainable for the future.  What we are looking to do is have forums (of course keeping the current data), blogs (keeping the current data) but also providing the ability for anyone to register for free and have their own "webpage" with maybe a "gallery", with the slight possibility to allow for peoples own blogs (I don't see the benefit in the blogs though so I'm going to push back on that requirement).

So I guess what I'm looking for is an easy way to allow members to upload their own photos and link them on their own "webpage" within the community all integrated with one logon.  I'm a PHP amature, but I can do a good deal it just might take me longer, I did do all the integration on the current site myself.

Any guidance on packages and such would be greatly appreciated.  I was thinking of going with something like Mambo, but it may be as simple as adding a package that allows for member webpages on top of our current infrastructure.

Advertisement: