News:

Wondering if this will always be free?  See why free is better.

Main Menu

Mambo & SMF Examples !?

Started by playareal, November 05, 2004, 10:36:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Orstio

That looks really great, Nephilim.   :D

Nephilim

Quote from: marcnyc on December 01, 2004, 07:58:08 PM
Wow cool, it's nice that through SMF forums we even found two sites with SMF/MOS that are about the same type of music, what a coincidence! ;-)
I didn't know there was such a scene in Nashville ;-)

Believe me, I didn't know it either when I moved here about 8 years ago.  I was very suprised that the scene here was so large.  When the previous admin of the community site gave up the site about 3 years ago (she moved away) I took over and went through several changes in an attempt to bring more functionality to the users (it used to be just a message board and nothing else).  I've finally settled on Mambo and SMF and it has been pretty smooth sailing since then.  Of course, now that I say that everything will break in one day. :)

Nephilim

marcnyc

Quote from: Nephilim on December 02, 2004, 11:19:25 AM
Believe me, I didn't know it either when I moved here about 8 years ago.  I was very suprised that the scene here was so large.  When the previous admin of the community site gave up the site about 3 years ago (she moved away) I took over and went through several changes in an attempt to bring more functionality to the users (it used to be just a message board and nothing else).  I've finally settled on Mambo and SMF and it has been pretty smooth sailing since then.  Of course, now that I say that everything will break in one day. :)

If you give me your FTP's username and password I'll make sure it breaks in less than a day... oh no wait, let me guess, your username is: DonWilliams and your password is JohnnyCash, right? I'm loggin in... ;-)

Nephilim

Quote from: marcnyc on December 02, 2004, 11:37:54 AM
... oh no wait, let me guess, your username is: DonWilliams and your password is JohnnyCash, right? I'm loggin in... ;-)

LOL!

I went though a bit of culture shock after moving here, especially after living in places like Manhattan, Toronto, and New Orleans.  Nashville isn't bad though, as suprising as that is and not to mention that if you are a musician, it's hard to sneeze and not hit a recording studio.

Orstio

I used the Blue Dot template, with a few modifications.

marcnyc

I am aware of that actually, which is why I'd live to visit some day... see this is me (www.marc-us.com), now you know why I know ;-)

Nephilim

Quote from: marcnyc on December 02, 2004, 04:14:16 PM
I am aware of that actually, which is why I'd live to visit some day... see this is me (www.marc-us.com), now you know why I know ;-)

Sweet.

BrandonMiller

got a ways to go to get it fully functional but I'll throw up a link for a pretty much not modified SMF/mambo/coppermine install (thanks Orstio)

http://rivercityrockcrawlers.com/mambo/

BrandonMiller

Quote from: BrandonMiller on December 03, 2004, 03:57:14 PM
got a ways to go to get it fully functional but I'll throw up a link for a pretty much not modified SMF/mambo/coppermine install (thanks Orstio)

http://rivercityrockcrawlers.com/mambo/

scratch that, and replace coppermine with gallery ;)

tjay

I just got started with Mambo and SMF, as we needed a more robust forum for facileforms.biz. I can not move the facileforms site over until I get a way to move all the posts that currently reside in simpleboard.

But I am also playing with it on a test site for a project I am working on with some kiteboarders.

it is at www.cyprex.biz
use the test link, as the forum link hooks to the simpleboard forum. I need a way to make SMF integrate tighter with the template. Is there a way to get rid of the header graphics in templates and remove the user greetings since the user is logged into Mambo, and have the nav buttons closer to the forum index.

I have been hoping to find a SMF template that was made with a tight integration in mind as apposed to most of the templates that are designed to give a stand alone look.

Is there a good resource for editing templates?

Thanks, great work on this bridge. It is sure to improve the position Mambo and SMF

xenovanis

I just finished (well, I'm wondering if I'm ever finished  ::), I just remember I forgot to add a gallery ) my mambo-smf site:

http://www.taxibalk.nl

And a week ago I didn't even know mambo excisted...
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results."

marcnyc

Quote from: tjay on December 15, 2004, 08:46:41 PM
But I am also playing with it on a test site for a project I am working on with some kiteboarders.

Hi tjay, I am interested in your project because I am a kiteboarder myself. What is it about?

tjay

Quote from: marcnyc on December 16, 2004, 09:44:57 AM
Quote from: tjay on December 15, 2004, 08:46:41 PM

Hi tjay, I am interested in your project because I am a kiteboarder myself. What is it about?

Well I hope to be moving to pensacola in mid 05,  I started talking with a group out of Virginia that are currently using yahoo groups. They want a full blows site. So I am using that site as a prototype for what will become the Virginia Site when it all comes together.

Where do you board??

marcnyc

I am in NY where the scene is lame. There is no group, people seem not to connect. There aren't many (nice) beaches either. And they are forbidden to board-sports in the summer. Currently I am boarding in Italy, until January.

DAB Empire

Might as well join the fun.  :P  I have SMF, Mambo and Coppermine all integrated.

http://www.eliterides.com

User:  test
Pass:  test

NoRad

Bleh I see the same thing on every single mambo + SMF site out there. They look ugly and entirely too busy. I really want to take advantage of Mambo, but it seems like overall it's not adding any value to the websites I'm looking at, and more importantly it's disrupting the consistency that SMF provides.

Does anybody have a single example of a website that uses a more minimalistic, clean, and streamlined approach of Mambo AND actually flows into the forum without overloading the visitor with useless information and obsessively annoying banner ads?

This is totally not meant to be rude *AT ALL*, but I'm trying desperately to find something that really shows it off. I've also noticed this problem with Mambo in general (hell, look at their homepage).

tjay

Maybe it would be helpful if you could show us an example of what you are looking for using SMF and any other CMS. I love looking at new ideas.

For me I find the simplemachines.org to be somewhat busy and confusing. It is a matter of perspective and what you are used to. In order to blend SMF into a mambo site and make it not look like too much going on I have found it very necessary to turn off a lot of SMF information as it detracted from the news and content, ie articles. I see the main function of a site to be content presentation and forums as a communication element to encourage discussion and traffic at the site.
That is just me, others will want to build everything around the forum, that is good too.
All in what the purpose of the site is, and how the designer is approaching the task

It is a great discussion topic, I look forward to hearing what others think

idigital

Quote from: Radianation on December 23, 2004, 03:41:19 PM
Bleh I see the same thing on every single mambo + SMF site out there. They look ugly and entirely too busy. I really want to take advantage of Mambo, but it seems like overall it's not adding any value to the websites I'm looking at, and more importantly it's disrupting the consistency that SMF provides.

I really don't think this can be attributed to Mambo, the same could probably be said of integrating SMF with any CMS. It's more a matter of design principles.

There's no reason why a Mambo site can't use SMF as a seamlessly integrated forum. As TJay pointed out, this is an issue of choosing what features from SMF or Mambo you want to keep, undoubtedly they do sometimes clash.

Quote from: Radianation on December 23, 2004, 03:41:19 PMDoes anybody have a single example of a website that uses a more minimalistic, clean, and streamlined approach of Mambo AND actually flows into the forum without overloading the visitor with useless information and obsessively annoying banner ads?

Well, I'm not sure if you'd place my site in that category, as we've attempted to design the site for the lowest common denominator of web resolutions, 800x600, so the area used for the forum is somewhat small.

http://reviewgamer.com

I'm actually planning to use the box I designed for the forum integration in the main review content areas of the site as well, to further extend the impression of a seamless integration rather than seperate forum + cms. I think this is one of the major flaws in many integrations, where the forum itself looks too much like it is a seperate entity.

Also, my integration puts all of the SMF header stuff into the Mambo template header, so there's no ugly html page within content that many Mambo sites get stuck with.

Anyway, that's my example. ;)

Cheers,

Damian

Advertisement: