News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

Message Icon Problem

Started by Jonny555, November 07, 2004, 11:33:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jonny555

I have installed the message icon mod and then started to replace a few icons.  I removed the standard icon, xx.gif and realised that it was needed because of the threads already using it. 

I have replaced it and it shows fine in the message icon manager.  However on the forums it's not showing and just got the dreaded red cross.  When I check the properties of the red cross it's showing as xx.gif.gif and so this is the reason it's not showing.

How can I fix this without having to go through every post?

Christian A. Herrnboeck

Hello there, This is simple, take a copy of the file, put it onto your harddrive, right click on it, and rename it to "xx.gif" (with quotes) Then, put it back onto the server. Just seems that you made a bit of an error with renaming....

Good luck!
Christian

Farmers:Producing food for the world!

Jonny555

It is named correctly.  I didn't rename it.  Thats my point.

For some reason when I restored the icon as useable it's corrupted the page code.

Amacythe

First, try to view just that file by entering the full path into your browser.  This will show if the file is indeed corrupt.

If this works, go to your ftp delete the original xx.gif and rename xx.gif.gif to xx.gif.  It seems some servers don't ask you to overwrite old files, but instead rename them. 

Christian A. Herrnboeck

Oh, so you're saying that the Location: field of the properties page says it's xx.gif.gif? Well, in that case go to the icon manager, and remove it, then replace it but only name it xx  without the extension... That might work ;-)

Farmers:Producing food for the world!

Jonny555

There is no xx.gif.gif on the server.

Yes the xx.gif shows perfectly.

I removed it from use in the icon manager and replaced properly with the file name xx as the ext is placed automatically..

What has happened is the link to the file has become corrupted, obviously in the database.  Any new posts being made and using the xx.gif are fine.  It's just those that were already posted before I removed it and put it back.  I didn't remove it from the server, just from those that are used.

I've got my staff going through the thread starter posts and putting it right.  Obviously there is a bug.

A.M.A

I suggest reporting this to Grudge.
Really sorry .. real life is demanding my full attention .. will be back soon hopefully :)

Grudge

This *was* a bug, but I thought I'd got it fixed. Basically, on a new install the filename for xx, is set up as xx.gif, causing a problem. you could have solved this in a phpMyAdmin query as:
UPDATE smf_messages SET icon = 'xx' WHERE icon = 'xx.gif'
I'm only a half geek really...

Jonny555

Thanks for your help.  :)

MyphpAdmin is playing up at the moment, but it might be due to network problems in the UK.

I know what to do in future if it ever raises itself.

Advertisement: