News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

SMF Search Deskbar

Started by OneLung, November 05, 2007, 11:10:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

OneLung

Hello everyone,

I would like an evaluation of my new SMF interface:

I have created a search interface for SMF that allows the user to search an SMF forum and directly check for new messages, unread posts and a few other things without having to open their browser.  To increase it's functionality, the deskbar also includes Google and eBay searches, but can be changed to suit any need.

The 'deskbar' resides in the Windows taskbar next to the quick-launch icons.  It looks similar to the Google deskbar and the AOL deskbar because it was created using the same development tools.

The deskbar uses it's own mini-browser which can be turned off in the program options.  You access the main menu by clicking the small down-arrow to the right of the "G" button.

As a test, I created a search interface for the SMF forum here.  You can download and evaluate it hxxp:www.onelung.net/test/deskbar.exe [nonactive].  Simply run the program and follow the simple install instructions. Depending on your operating system, you may need to re-start your computer after installation.  Also, the Web interface has been tested with XP and Vista using IE6+.  It has not been tested using FireFox.

Because it is beta software, it will take you to my Website automatically upon installation.  This page has nothing to do with SMF so simply close it when it opens.  In the real version, it would take you to the web page designated by the owner.

I would appreciate any comments on this software that would help make it better.  I certify this program to be virus/spyware free and welcome and questions about it's technical specs.

Note:  Although I used the SimpleMachines forum for the test and there is a SimpleMachines logo in the software, I am not affiliated with SimpleMachines.org in any way.  The software is simply a test.

Onelung.

Advertisement: