News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

mySQL problems

Started by MunchaenUSF, December 03, 2004, 01:34:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MunchaenUSF

All,

I have installed a few portals, however this is the first one that I am install on a box of my own.  I have installed all the neccessary components....However I am having issues with mySQL....This is the message that I get when I run the install PHP....

"Cannot connect to the MySQL database server with the supplied data.

If you are not sure about what to type in, please contact your host.
Client does not support authentication protocol requested by server; consider upgrading MySQL client"

I am a total newb with mysql, I am not even sure how to create a new database?

Any help would be greatly appreciated....

Oldiesmann

First of all, this is a forum system, not a portal...

Second, you need to create a user account (other than "root") on MySQL. You could always user root, but I don't recommend that because of the damage that can be done if someone gets that password. To learn how to set up users, check out the User Account Management section of the MySQL manual.

Once you've got users set up, you should download and install phpMyAdmin. It makes managing databases much easier.

Once you've got your user and database set up, run SMF's install script again and fill in all the info. The server can usually be left as "localhost" (meaning the same machine that php is running on). The username is the user you just created, and the password for that account.
Michael Eshom
Christian Metal Fans

[Unknown]

Specifically, this is a PHP problem with MySQL 4.1.

Please set the password using the OLD_PASSWORD function.  For more information, please search for "does not support authentication protocol requested by server"...

http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=18671.0

-[Unknown]

Advertisement: