News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

A question about editing mods

Started by dxyy, December 05, 2007, 06:39:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dxyy

Sorry if this has been asked before, but I was unable to find something that addressed this directly. Admittedly, I didn't look around too much in search of an answer.

If I edit an existing mod to function the way I would like it to work, is it ok for me to release it to the community here? I was thinking that it would be fine as long as I gave credit to the original author. I really like the ultimate profiles mod, but I would really like to have some changes made (see my post) quickly otherwise I might miss a really great window of opportunity to promote my forum.

I was thinking of just paying someone to help me implement the changes I desire and then sharing that with everyone else. The feedback I received seems indicates that other members would like some of the same capabilities installed. As far as I can tell the mod author is a student, and so I doubt he can work on this much at the moment.

So, if I re-work this mod, is it ok for me to openly share it?

Thanks! :)

HoTmetal

Thats a good question hugodiaz.

Like the core of SMF, you may edit and or change code on your site as you see fit.
Now when it comes to re-packing and re-distributing a mod, there are a few general guidelines.

You should obtain permission from the original mod maker 1st.
And personally, I'd try to work with the mod maker, and see if he/she is willing to implement
your changes. 
IF permission is granted heres what you should do next...

Once you edit it, you can submit it here for others to D/L. Our team will look over the code and then either approve it, or provide you tips on how to fix your code to bring it up to standards.

Lastly, though its not required, its always nice if you can help provide support of the mod. There's nothing worse for SMF users to find a mod they like, that never get updated for future releases....

Hope that helps :D

Advertisement: