multisite SMF + MOS + coppermine questions

Started by weekend camper, December 03, 2004, 06:04:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

weekend camper

Hello.

I am looking for advice/input on the following project I am planning on for work.

Background:
We are the head organization that helps two smaller groups provide community support/work. We will have three domains (one for each group, that way there is some small individuality on each website, but more importantly for the ability to have [email protected] email addresses).  I am planning on purchasing a reseller type hosting package (ie, one host/server for all three sites).

I would like to have the main site to have Mambo, Coppermine, and SMF and some form of calendaring script.  The secondary sites may have Mambo, or they may have custom HTML/php coding done by yours truly.  At this time, I don't think that the public will be using SMF, it would be used primarily for SSI purposes by administrators.

Questions:

1 - I was thinking of using SMF SSI to the secondary sites.  What question do I ask the hosts to make sure that SSI works? 

Or does it always work and I just didn't know (in the dim past now) how to make it work across sites?

2 - There will likely be a tertiary site off the main site (ie subdomain)  IF that site had Mambo as well, would there be a problem with (dual Mambo/SMF) cookies across subdomains?  I'm asking because IPB gave me grief when I tried similar in the past. 

Or should I just use SSI (across the subdomain) and custom HTML/php code the tertiary site?

TIA

[Unknown]

Sorry for not getting to this earlier, I generally don't worry as much about Mambo topics.

Quote from: weekend camper on December 03, 2004, 06:04:27 PM
1 - I was thinking of using SMF SSI to the secondary sites.  What question do I ask the hosts to make sure that SSI works?

If you do the reseller thing, you shouldn't have any problem.  As long as SMF can run on the host, and the other sites aren't jailed into their home folders, (in other words, as long as they can access the other account's SSI.php, etc...) you should have no problems.

QuoteOr does it always work and I just didn't know (in the dim past now) how to make it work across sites?

It can't work across servers, only across accounts on the same server.  You just need access to the other account's files, and then include them - that is, from user2, include /home/user1/smf/SSI.php.

Quote2 - There will likely be a tertiary site off the main site (ie subdomain)  IF that site had Mambo as well, would there be a problem with (dual Mambo/SMF) cookies across subdomains?  I'm asking because IPB gave me grief when I tried similar in the past.

I can't say anything about Mambo or the integration, but you can do subdomain cookies as long as the cookies are set to the ".domain.com" domain. (that first dot is important!)  SMF has an option for "subdomain independent" cookies, but the bridge may or may not respect that.

So, in your case, you want just NOT to enable this option.

-[Unknown]

weekend camper

Advertisement: