News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

Hide SMF Version

Started by 青山 素子, January 01, 2008, 01:09:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ben K

QuoteEdit: I just checked and confirmed that the version is not shown in the print view either unless you are logged in and a member of the Administrators group.
Ohh, my bad, I was thinking that it dosen't show the version for any one ...

supahben

the option text does not show on the Basic Features but the checkbox is still there

青山 素子

There probably isn't a text string for the language you are using. Copy the string from Modifications.english.php to Modifications.language.php, where language is the name of the language you are using.
Motoko-chan
Director, Simple Machines

Note: Unless otherwise stated, my posts are not representative of any official position or opinion of Simple Machines.

supahben

Quote from: Motoko-chan on December 19, 2009, 01:06:13 PM
There probably isn't a text string for the language you are using. Copy the string from Modifications.english.php to Modifications.language.php, where language is the name of the language you are using.
the change has been executed properly on Modifications.engish.php because i see this there:
$txt['hideVersion'] = 'Hide SMF version from normal users';
but i can't still see the text on the settings page...

iam using a custom theme called anone by pixelslot.

InfoStrides

Bugo

Russian translation:

$txt['hideVersion'] = 'Не показывать версию SMF обычным пользователям';

derby

LATEST JOB VACANCIES

www.derbhotjobs.com

tyty1234

I'm not sure if this has already been discussed, but I feel that in the Admin Panel, it shouldn't replace the SMF version under version information. In addition, it won't show the current version information correctly as the installed version will be red. Not much of a big problem, but a good thing to consider. :)
My Activity: Inactive
My Links: tyty1234's SMF Site | SMF Package Parser | SMF Helper | My Mods [5]
Subscribe to my SMF blog for updates
PMs for support will not be accepted, unless requested otherwise.

青山 素子

Quote from: tyty1234 on February 15, 2010, 03:50:07 AM
I'm not sure if this has already been discussed, but I feel that in the Admin Panel, it shouldn't replace the SMF version under version information.

No, it shouldn't. The current SMF version should display correctly.

Quote from: tyty1234 on February 15, 2010, 03:50:07 AM
In addition, it won't show the current version information correctly as the installed version will be red. Not much of a big problem, but a good thing to consider. :)

If you're running an older version of SMF, this is correct.

This modification simply blanks the existing version string to non-admin users. It shouldn't cause a problem with the version number itself.

Of course, the simplest thing to do is to not hide the version to begin with. It's a false sense of security.
Motoko-chan

Note: Unless otherwise stated, my posts are not representative of any official position or opinion of Simple Machines.

waruna

Hye Motoko-chan.

I'm using SMF2.0 RC2. Installing is ok, but nothing happen. I go to Admin - Features and Options - General and no such option.

Have I done something wrong?
Trust of Lust

JD82

Hi, I'm wondering if the plugin will be updated shortly to release RC3 :)

Arantor

Quote from: JD82 on March 09, 2010, 04:43:25 PM
Hi, I'm wondering if the plugin will be updated shortly to release RC3 :)

Shortly as people have time. I've seen a lot of threads with people demanding updates, but forget that mod authors are real people and real lives... ;)

青山 素子

Try using version emulation. I can't think of any changes that would break this.

Besides, this mod is useless for security.
Motoko-chan

okae

this mod will be updated for 2.0rc3?

Nimnix

Well, shouldn't you be able to just edit the indextemplate.php?

Arantor

Quote from: Westlund on March 11, 2010, 07:39:56 AM

Considering it's not stored there, no.

青山 素子

Quote from: okae on March 11, 2010, 07:38:45 AM
this mod will be updated for 2.0rc3?

Yes, but it should work already. Use the version emulation dialog to report you are using RC2 and it should install cleanly.

Quote from: Westlund on March 11, 2010, 07:39:56 AM

You could, but the version isn't there. It's in index.php. However, removing the version information will break the package manager, update check, and other version-related things. As the mod description says, this is for people that are convinced they must do this worthless thing to do so safely so that those things are not broken.
Motoko-chan

karls

Hi,

How do I install this? On this page: http://custom.simplemachines.org/mods/index.php?mod=1046 there are 2 download links:

HideSMFVersion_1-0-5.tar.gz      (3kB)     [2029]     
HideSMFVersion_1-0-6.tar.gz    (3kB)    [13]

Which one do I download, and once I download where do I upload the file? And do I upload the file as it is?

The installation instructions are too weak on that page.

Thanks,
Karl

Arantor

Download the 1.0.6 file to your computer, then go to your forum's admin panel, Packages, and use the Download page to send it to your forum, then install.

karls

Thanks but I am not seeing anything in here:

SMF 1.1:
Admin -> Features and Options -> Basic Features

SMF 2.0:
Admin -> Configuration -> Security & Moderation -> General

Any idea why?

Karl

Advertisement: