Changing profile says password incorrect

Started by Ðyєgσv, January 22, 2008, 11:26:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ðyєgσv

I have been trying to change my own profile in my board, and in order to save the changes I need to input my password. I do so, but it says that the password is incorrect. I have tried it multiple times but always get the same response. I know the password is correct because I logged out and back in plenty of times, and the password works normally for both logging in and the ACP, but doesn't work when I want to edit my account. What can I do?

greyknight17

Try clearing your cookies and temp files. Close the browser and login. See if that helps.

If not, try the below to see if there is any progress:

Go to Admin->Server Settings->Feature Configuration and see if you have the following options set:

Enable local storage of cookies -> Unchecked
Use subdomain independent cookies -> Checked
Use database driven sessions -> Checked

Ðyєgσv

I have deleted all cookies pertaining to my board, along with the cache, and that didn't work. I checked the configurations you told me and everything is exactly as you said it should be :( What else can I do?

greyknight17

Give this a try to see if it helps...

Go into phpMyAdmin and click on your database. Then click on the SQL tab and copy paste the following code and run it:

TRUNCATE smf_sessions;
TRUNCATE smf_log_online;

If that doesn't do it either, do you have another administrator there? If not, create a test account and grant it admin rights. Then login to that account to see if it has the same issue. If not, use that admin account and change your password on this problematic account. Then logout and login as that account to test it out...

Ðyєgσv

1st Thing didn't work, so I asked another admin to change my password to something really simple. I could make changes with that and get back to my last password, but then it didn't work again, so the problem is directly with my password.

I have a 13 characters long pass, with uppercase, lowercase, numbers, punctuation and some signs such as ~. Could that be the problem?

greyknight17

Take away the tilde ~ first. See if that fixes the issue. If not, try the other punctuations and see which one is causing the problem.

Ðyєgσv

No, I havre tried changing all the simbols what a a time and it didn't work with any. This is so frustrating. I thought that part of being secure was having symbols in your password, but it seems like it won't let me at all. Here the symbols Y was using:

# " ~ . @ '

The weird thing is that the same password with all those characters work perfectly in this forum . . .

Ðyєgσv

Sorry to bump, but I still need help with this.

greyknight17

Do you have another computer that you can use to go to your forum? If so, try using that to change the password back with the special characters. Then try changing something in your profile and see if it will accept your password this time around.

Ðyєgσv

I tried in another computer and the same error happened...

greyknight17

I'm asking other staff members to lend a hand on this one...I'm stumped :(

Ðyєgσv

Ok, thanks for your concern. If it's of any help, the board where the error is happening is the one on my signature ;)

Rumbaar

You have no issues inputing your password in other sections of the forum?  An other admin can reset your password, but still in that profile area it doesn't allow you to input even with a more simple password?

Are you the only account that is affected this way?  Have you installed any mods that have affect that profile template file?  Does it occur when using the default theme?
"An important reward for a job well done is a personal sense of worthwhile achievement."

[ Themes ]

Ðyєgσv

• No, my password works pretty fine in all other areas of the board
  • It allows me to input my password, but when I try to save the changes, it says that my password is incorrect. And it works with a simpler password
  • As far as I know I'm the only one affected, since nobody has made any complaint about it
  • I still have to try with the default theme, but I'm pretty sure it's not it

Here are my mods:

Modification Packages
   Mod Name    Version    
1.    View Single PM    1.3    [ Uninstall ] [ List Files ] [ Delete ]
2.    Member Color Link    2.0.5    [ Uninstall ] [ List Files ] [ Delete ]
3.    Signature Settings Mod    1.1    [ Uninstall ] [ List Files ] [ Delete ]
4.    vReportBoard Mod    1.03    [ Uninstall ] [ List Files ] [ Delete ]
5.    Custom BBCode    2.00    [ Uninstall ] [ List Files ] [ Delete ]
6.    Auto Embed Video Clips    2.0    [ Uninstall ] [ List Files ] [ Delete ]
7.    Karma Description Mod    2.3    [ Uninstall ] [ List Files ] [ Delete ]
8.    Ad Managment    2.3    [ Uninstall ] [ List Files ] [ Delete ]

Rumbaar

Well looking at the source files for Profile.php and others that you can use, say LogInOut.php can see the difference in the code used to check the passwords.  This could be the issue.

Profile.php
// Bad password!!!
if (!$good_password && $user_info['passwd'] != sha1(strtolower($user_profile[$memID]['memberName']) . $_POST['oldpasswrd']))
$post_errors[] = 'bad_password';

LogInOut.php
else
$sha_passwd = sha1(strtolower($user_settings['memberName']) . un_htmlspecialchars(stripslashes($_REQUEST['passwrd'])));

The fact the profile doesn't seem to un_htmlspecialchars or stripslashes could be the reason.  It looks like this is an issue even with SMF 2.0.  I'll have to try and get a developer in on this as I'm not sure of the implication of a difference action.
"An important reward for a job well done is a personal sense of worthwhile achievement."

[ Themes ]

Ðyєgσv

Ok, so I guess there's nothing I can do other than to wait. Thanks for bringing the problem up to the devs, and I hope they can fix it :)

Rumbaar

Well we can actually try an experiment.

In your sources/Profile.php
Find:
// Bad password!!!
if (!$good_password && $user_info['passwd'] != sha1(strtolower($user_profile[$memID]['memberName']) . $_POST['oldpasswrd']))

Replace with:
// Bad password!!!
if (!$good_password && $user_info['passwd'] != sha1(strtolower($user_profile[$memID]['memberName']) . un_htmlspecialchars(stripslashes($_POST['oldpasswrd'])))

Then try to change your details with the same 'special' character password and see how you goes this time.

[ Themes ]

anboni

Apologies for bumping this rather old thread, but since no feedback was given on the final suggestion by Rumbaar I figured it made sense so this bug can get squashed.

I was having the same problem, with a password containing ',}> and some letters and numbers, so I've modified the Profile.php as suggested (adding one more closing bracket at the end of the if-line) and this seems to work fine. My forum is still running SMF 1.1.4.

Rumbaar

Yeah the person having the issue never got back :(

Can you post the exact code changes you made, before and after so others might try it as well if they ever get the same issue.

[ Themes ]

anboni

Apart from the one ) the code is exactly as you posted.

The code is in Source/Profile.php at line 443.

Before:

// Bad password!!!

After:

// Bad password!!!
               if (!$good_password && $user_info['passwd'] != sha1(strtolower($user_profile[$memID]['memberName']) . un_htmlspecialchars(stripslashes($_POST['oldpasswrd']))))

Advertisement: