News:

SMF 2.1.4 has been released! Take it for a spin! Read more.

Main Menu

[SMF Converter] phpBB3

Started by JayBachatero, January 23, 2008, 04:49:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sarge

Quote from: Yoohoo on March 12, 2008, 07:15:32 PM
where is the attachment for the converter of phpbb3 to smf?

First post of this topic.

Please do not PM me with support requests unless I invite you to.

http://www.zeriyt.com/   ~   http://www.galeriashqiptare.net/

<H> I had zero posts when I started posting

decas

guys, i converted my greek forum succesfully to smf.
however i worry about the password conversion modification. Is there any possibility to face problems later on? i mean, do we have to modify the php as described, everytime that we will update our smf forum?

thanks in advance

Aaron

Quote from: decas on March 18, 2008, 07:57:05 AM
however i worry about the password conversion modification. Is there any possibility to face problems later on? i mean, do we have to modify the php as described, everytime that we will update our smf forum?

Only if you don't use the package manager updates. SMF 2.0 has support for both phpBB2 and phpBB3 password hashes built-in. :)

decas

Cheers Aäron!

but one more question please!

what if i'll need to update to 1.x version? will i have to modify the php file everytime i update, untill the release of SMF 2?

dinci5

hello

I'm totally new to all of this.
I just tested SMF on my new host and I love it.

I'm using phpbb3 on my current host and I want to import the users and forums to SMF.

I don't know anything about this so I'm going to need some guidance.

So, my phpbb3 is on one host and SMF is on another.
Is there any chance to import the users and forums of phpbb3 to SMF without converting it.
I don't want anything to get lost as I have many users.
I would like to keep everything as it is.

decas

Quote from: dinci5 on March 19, 2008, 06:17:14 PM

So, my phpbb3 is on one host and SMF is on another.
Is there any chance to import the users and forums of phpbb3 to SMF without converting it.
I don't want anything to get lost as I have many users.
I would like to keep everything as it is.

Welcome to SMF, as a both SMF and PHPBB3 user my self, i guarantee you, that you will never think to return back to PHPBB3

i think you missunderstood the conversion option. The conversion doesnt "transforms" your PHPBB forum to SMF.
This is why you need to have a clean install of SMF on your host.
during the proccess you will be asked to locate both of your SMF and PHPBB folders.

So
1) move your PHPBB3 to your new host

2)do a clean install of SMF at the new host

3) modify the loginout.php on SMF folder, as described here

4)upload the converter of this topic and point your broswer to it.

5)fill the fields of the converter and you are ready to go!

good luck!

edit: have a look at this:
http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=191602.0

dinci5

thanks for the explanation decas.
For what I've seen till now, I like SMF more.
It has some really nice features and it is extremly user friendly.
Many mods and themes are also available.

What do you suggest me...
Should I stick with phpbb3 until this converter leaves BETA?

/EDIT
I also made some modifications to the phpbb3 forum.
Does this affect the conversion process?

Thanks

JayBachatero

The converter works.  Just that some things are not converted like explained in the main post.
Follow me on Twitter

"HELP!!! I've fallen and I can't get up"
This moment has been brought to you by LifeAlert

decas

as JayBachatero says, the convertor works 100% and personaly i didnt faced any problem. 

i just worry about the password hush so maybe an idea would be to move this way: phpbb3>mybb>smf

JayBachatero

The password hash should work.  I tested it many times.  Also from the looks of it it works for almost everyone with the exception of a few people.
Follow me on Twitter

decas

Quote from: JayBachatero on March 20, 2008, 12:36:11 AM
The password hash should work.  I tested it many times.  Also from the looks of it it works for almost everyone with the exception of a few people.

It worked for me jay, you did a great job!  but i am interested in a converter that converts the passwords in database. so i wont have to modify the loginout.php, during the updates!

dinci5

I just tried to convert, but didn't work

I get this error:
SELECT command denied to user 'sabur_be'@'srv85.one.com' for table 'ai_users'

I can only have one MySQL database on my host, so I've imported the DB from phpbb3 directly there
I don't know if that matters?

JayBachatero

Decas, since encryption is a one way deal that can't be done.  What we do instead is when the user logs in and enters their password we has it as if it were a phpBB pass and then compare it to the old password.  If they match then we overwrite the phpBB password that was converted and we rehash it and use our method.

dinci5, install SMF in the same database as phpBB3.  That should work for you.
Follow me on Twitter

dinci5

no that doesn't help
I just did a clean install of SMF and that doesn't help neither

decas

Quote from: JayBachatero on March 20, 2008, 01:19:25 PM
What we do instead is when the user logs in and enters their password we has it as if it were a phpBB pass and then compare it to the old password.  If they match then we overwrite the phpBB password that was converted and we rehash it and use our method.

thanks but do you mean that after the first login of users, their password will be stored in db in smf format?

Quote from: dinci5 on March 20, 2008, 02:02:36 PM
no that doesn't help

mate, what i did was to add the smf user to phpbb3 database. it will work for sure!

by the way, even though that google is my best friend, it didnt help me find the smf 2 feature list. does anyone knows where i'll find it?

SleePy

decas,

Password Hashes are a one way street. You can't go backwards and get the original password.
The developers had this in mind and have implanted a nice little method of "updating" other styled passwords to its style.
All you need to do is before the conversion, use the package file attached in the first post, If there are no errors on the test install screen, then you can proceed to apply it.
Once applied and everything is still working you can start the conversion.

After the conversion all you do is login. With the mod package installed it adds a new login password method. SMF will detect this and then using the password you sent make one with its encryption style ( sha1(strtolower(username) . password) ) and update into the database.
Jeremy D ~ Site Team / SMF Developer ~ GitHub Profile ~ Join us on IRC @ Libera.chat/#smf ~ Support the SMF Support team!

JayBachatero

Quote from: decas on March 20, 2008, 05:04:01 PM
Quote from: JayBachatero on March 20, 2008, 01:19:25 PM
What we do instead is when the user logs in and enters their password we has it as if it were a phpBB pass and then compare it to the old password.  If they match then we overwrite the phpBB password that was converted and we rehash it and use our method.
Correct.  They will be stored in SMF format.

Quote from: dinci5 on March 20, 2008, 02:02:36 PM
no that doesn't help

What user if SMF using for the database?  What user if phpBB running under?
Follow me on Twitter

decas

thanks guys! so this is my last question!
if all of the users login at least one time in the new smf forum, there wont be need for the mod or loginout.pp file modification right?

JayBachatero

Nope.  There wont be a need for the code after all the passwords have been converted.
Follow me on Twitter

malcomxar

Sorry, but newbie here :)

Could you tell me wich of the phpbb3_to_smf is the correct one cause in page 2 there are like 5 diferent ones.
Should i use the one that is teh "last one" posted?

Where do i place the install.php and the phpbb3_to_smf??
What does this means "Use this convert.php with the .sql file attached in this topic."
Thanks!

Advertisement: