News:

Wondering if this will always be free?  See why free is better.

Main Menu

Search index creation woes

Started by Roph, February 13, 2008, 08:11:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Roph

Going to have to bump, is there no way I can re-start creating a custom index?

I'm back to my problem as I explained it in the first post, so please read that.

Rumbaar

I'm still at a loss to how you were able to create an index in the first place, with the field set to MEDIUMTEXT.  But then I'm not sure of how it might have turned from just TEXT to MEDIUMTEXT.  From the error message it indicated it is in fact limited to TEXT property.
"An important reward for a job well done is a personal sense of worthwhile achievement."

[ Themes ]

Roph

Hmm.

Is there a query I can run on the database to make sure that none of my messages are over the size limitation of TEXT?

As said, my post size limit is 40,000, though I know it hasn't always been that. If there are any over 65535, the likely culprits will be scripts (game creation scripting language boards), and if they were cut off it would render them useless.

H

Hi Silverline,

Did you manage to sort this out?

If not I don't know if you can achieve this with just SQL but I imagine you should write a php batch script to grab all the messages and then count each one.
-H
Former Support Team Lead
                              I recommend:
Namecheap (domains)
Fastmail (e-mail)
Linode (VPS)

NightHorse

Hi, i have the same problem !
the table "smf_messages is in "text" " so I think there would be something else..

I was successfully using custom index, but when server crashed down (after restart) I had the same problems like silverline also I couldn't create it anymore. Now i'm using fulltext index but forum is always crashing.. sometimes cannot be run via watchdog and so we must go to telehouse and start it manually..

H

I was successfully using custom index, but when server crashed down (after restart) I had the same problems like silverline also I couldn't create it anymore. Now i'm using fulltext index but forum is always crashing.. sometimes cannot be run via watchdog and so we must go to telehouse and start it manually..

So you can't even recover the server via SSH? SMF shouldn't cause the whole server to crash or reboot :)
-H
Former Support Team Lead
                              I recommend:
Namecheap (domains)
Fastmail (e-mail)
Linode (VPS)

orange

Quote from: Silverline on February 13, 2008, 08:11:37 PM
I went though the processes of starting to create a large index.

As those of you with larger forums may know, this takes absolutely ages and is very boring :P, so I left it going and went off for a while. When I came back, I was met with the admin login screen. Maybe my session timed out or something?

I'm trying to create a search index at the moment, and yes it's painfully slow. But the worst part is that I can't just leave it overnight, because once an hour it stops and prompts for my admin password, though I'm still logged in (I presume the admin session is timing out or something).

Is there a fix for this? For me to remember to come back to the thing and type in my password every hour, in an operation that looks like it's going to take about 24 hours, is a painful prospect...

Alternatively, is there a query script to generate the index that I could run manually in MySQL while taking the forum offline, so that I don't have to keep waiting for this page to refresh itself 5000 times and finally get to 100%?

Rumbaar

I'm not sure if it will allow for the whole process to continue, but you can temporarily disable 'admin security' while you run this process and it shouldn't prompt for the admin password after the default timeout period for admin security.
"An important reward for a job well done is a personal sense of worthwhile achievement."

[ Themes ]

Sarge

Quote from: orange on May 03, 2008, 03:35:18 PM
I'm trying to create a search index at the moment, and yes it's painfully slow. But the worst part is that I can't just leave it overnight, because once an hour it stops and prompts for my admin password, though I'm still logged in (I presume the admin session is timing out or something).

Is there a fix for this?

Quote from: Rumbaar on May 03, 2008, 08:30:40 PM
I'm not sure if it will allow for the whole process to continue, but you can temporarily disable 'admin security' while you run this process and it shouldn't prompt for the admin password after the default timeout period for admin security.

Yes, creation of a search index should complete automatically if "Disable administration security" is checked from Admin > Features and Options > Basic Features tab.

Once I was creating an index in a large forum and SMF prompted me for the admin password every hour or so; I just disabled it and the index creation finished by itself after that.

Please do not PM me with support requests unless I invite you to.

http://www.zeriyt.com/   ~   http://www.galeriashqiptare.net/

<H> I had zero posts when I started posting

orange

Thanks guys, that should do the trick!

Advertisement: