News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

ADVISE: Do NOT upgrade to smf2 from smf 1.x

Started by Sirius, May 21, 2009, 07:55:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sirius

I would advise everyone in here to think twice before upgrading to version 2 RC from version 1.1.8 or 1.1.9.  I have totally lost my old forum of 5 years and any attempts to reinstall 1.1.8 or 1.1.9 with a recent backup have failed .  I have played with SMF for ages, since the very beginning, I was a chartered member at one time so I'm supposed to know a bit about installing SMF...  even then I'm totally out of luck right now. There are so many errors and bugs, we end up screwing everything up.

I am not ******ing at anyone, since it's written in RED not to install version 2 on a production forum.  BUT  since I've installed version 2 successfully on 2 occasions, i thought that I would be able to upgrade my main forum to version 2 . So anyway... don't do like I just did, if you don't want to loose your entire forum and leave 300 members stranded.    :-\ :-[

Fustrate

Ouch. I'm guessing you didn't make a db backup before upgrading?
Steven Hoffman
Former Team Member, 2009-2012

Vekseid

Upgrading to 2.0 RC1 worked like a charm for me. I'm honestly having more issues with minor version upgrades *kicks avatar uploads*

But if you don't ask for help you won't get any. Your situation is not magically irrecoverable.
Adult Role Playing Forums - - Over five million posts - - Elliquiy's LAMP configuration (maybe NSFW)

Blog about Forums and Servers - - Twenty things to make Simple Machines Forum go faster

Private/Instant Message requests for free support will be ignored.

Sirius

Quote from: Fustrate on May 21, 2009, 07:57:19 PM
Ouch. I'm guessing you didn't make a db backup before upgrading?

yes i do have a fresh backup, table and all... as they say,  stupid but not crazy   :P   I really don't know why I can't rebuild a 1.1.8  or 1.1.9 from the backup.    I got it almost all done, with the tables and titles+ forum members names  but when we click on a post , there is nothing at all...   then more I play with it, worst it got...

One of the problem I have is that my hosting co has a very slow server, so, sometimes I try something and it will take effect only few minutes after,  then if I try something else in the mean time  I screw up everything...    Quite a long day I tell ya.  And my hosting co  suck big time , there are some files like theme1 that I can't even delete or chmod them at all.  This MIGHT be the main problem.

I will try again tomorrow and see what happen..  the first error that led to all this mess was the english language file error,  then it went from bad to worst..

One thing that I just don't get, is how to rebuild a database from the PHPmyadmin instead of the restore_backup.php .. I've tried to find the answer but I must be too tired or i don't know the right terms

Vekseid

Quote from: sirius on May 21, 2009, 08:10:14 PM
yes i do have a fresh backup, table and all... as they say,  stupid but not crazy   :P   I really don't know why I can't rebuild a 1.1.8  or 1.1.9 from the backup.    I got it almost all done, with the tables and titles+ forum members names  but when we click on a post , there is nothing at all...   then more I play with it, worst it got...

Check your character sets.
Adult Role Playing Forums - - Over five million posts - - Elliquiy's LAMP configuration (maybe NSFW)

Blog about Forums and Servers - - Twenty things to make Simple Machines Forum go faster

Sirius

Quote from: Vekseid on May 21, 2009, 08:38:27 PM

Check your character sets.

you mean ?

anyway.. I'm still working on it ,  the forum is reinstalled, ( 1.1.9) the tables and board titles are there but no topics at all..  all the member list is complete,  which is a good thing because i can send them a mass e-mail to tell them to go to forum 2..  so  what do you guys think i should do to regain all the topics and threads ?  the last time that i've tried to restore from that same backup, it was not successfull...  i got some topic titles but when we click on it, it's empty

Jade Elizabeth

Once proud Documentation Writer and Help Squad Leader | Check out my new adult coloring career: Color With Jade/Patreon.

Vekseid

Quote from: sirius on May 21, 2009, 08:48:18 PM
you mean ?

anyway.. I'm still working on it ,  the forum is reinstalled, ( 1.1.9) the tables and board titles are there but no topics at all..  all the member list is complete,  which is a good thing because i can send them a mass e-mail to tell them to go to forum 2..  so  what do you guys think i should do to regain all the topics and threads ?  the last time that i've tried to restore from that same backup, it was not successfull...  i got some topic titles but when we click on it, it's empty

If you go to a topic and click to edit a post, you should still see everything.

SMF does not handle character set changes at all well.

Sirius

Quote from: Jade Elizabeth on May 21, 2009, 08:51:35 PM
Would you like some help? :)
yep  i might need help i think

you have a pm

Jade Elizabeth

If someone would help with this part, that would be great. I have topics, but this appears when trying to view them:

Unknown column 'a.file_hash' in 'field list'
File: /home/httpd/vhosts/kebecanos.ca/httpdocs/forum/Sources/Display.php
Line: 711

Here's 700-720 from the file:
// Fetch attachments.
if (!empty($modSettings['attachmentEnable']) && allowedTo('view_attachments'))
{
$request = db_query("
SELECT
a.ID_ATTACH, a.ID_MSG, a.filename, a.file_hash, IFNULL(a.size, 0) AS filesize, a.downloads,
a.width, a.height" . (empty($modSettings['attachmentShowImages']) || empty($modSettings['attachmentThumbnails']) ? '' : ",
IFNULL(thumb.ID_ATTACH, 0) AS ID_THUMB, thumb.width AS thumb_width, thumb.height AS thumb_height") . "
FROM {$db_prefix}attachments AS a" . (empty($modSettings['attachmentShowImages']) || empty($modSettings['attachmentThumbnails']) ? '' : "
LEFT JOIN {$db_prefix}attachments AS thumb ON (thumb.ID_ATTACH = a.ID_THUMB)") . "
WHERE a.ID_MSG IN (" . implode(',', $messages) . ")
AND a.attachmentType = 0", __FILE__, __LINE__);
$temp = array();
while ($row = mysql_fetch_assoc($request))
{
$temp[$row['ID_ATTACH']] = $row;

if (!isset($attachments[$row['ID_MSG']]))
$attachments[$row['ID_MSG']] = array();
}
mysql_free_result($request);

I'm no good with DB errors, unless I can see a file issue - all files are 1.1.9, and the DB seems to be intact.

Error occurs on new topics too (I can post them, just cannot view them).
Once proud Documentation Writer and Help Squad Leader | Check out my new adult coloring career: Color With Jade/Patreon.

Fustrate

run upgradeDatabase.php from the upgrade package, that should add the missing column.
Steven Hoffman

Jade Elizabeth

Yeah, I fixed it :D.

See, it was throwing tantrums and he has a horrible host which doesnt do what I want it to do (such as overwrite files completely).

* Jade Elizabeth hugs Fustrate :-*

Sirius

we"ll have another go at it tomorrow...  thanks for the help

Sven17

The update worked fine for me ;)
I made 2 backups of my forum, one on my ftp and one my pc
and made at least 3 different Database copies

Sirius

My forum came back to life this morning,  smf 1.1.9...  I don't exactly know why.  told ya that that damn server was slow to update  ::)

so case close   I will not attempt to covert it to smf 2,  i'll do that with my other test forums

Thanks to Jade for her big effort !

Jade Elizabeth

Hey, I'm just happy to help!

I can attempt to upgrade you to 2.0 if you would like :).

d0brin

I have th4e sime error with line 711 and i cant find this file in the upgrade package:
upgradeDatabase.php
Can anyone attach it? It is for smf 1.1.9 pls

riker

Have to agree about not upgrading but for different reasons. SMF 2.0 just isn't ready and for them to put it in RC is a ruddy joke

Fustrate

Quote from: d0brin on May 22, 2009, 10:55:07 AM
I have th4e sime error with line 711 and i cant find this file in the upgrade package:
upgradeDatabase.php
Can anyone attach it? It is for smf 1.1.9 pls
Download this first attachment from this post, extract it, and there it is :)
Steven Hoffman

Advertisement: