News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

A couple of questions on warning system

Started by Kirys, March 24, 2008, 07:59:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kirys

I'm testing smf 2 in a controlled enviroment.
I must say that it is an excellent forum, but there are some thing about the warning system that i don't know if are bugs or is the wanted beheaviour.

When the user is watched (even with the display enabled from the admin panel) he doesn't have any warning in his user page or any visibile area except for his own posts, maybe a warning near his nickname on the top of the page would be of help.

Another problem is that whan is muted if i tries to post there is a warning that say that his post need to be moderated, while actually it cannot post at all, so maybe i writes a long post and then discovers that he could not, this can be frustrating.

Are those a wanted beheaviour or just is a work in progress status?
Thank you
Kirys

Jade Elizabeth

Wanted.
If the user is muted then he or she should probably be notified that they have that status with the notification option, which you can send when you warn someone.
I tend not to tell people they are on watch myself, but you could. A simple modification to some files could make the status of the user show elsewhere, if you wanted to put in a mod request :D.

Also, Administrators can never be muted in my experience (the other admin wanted to play a joke on me :P).
Once proud Documentation Writer and Help Squad Leader | Check out my new adult coloring career: Color With Jade/Patreon.

Kirys

Well if this is the wanted behaviour I will adapt to it.
The only thing that I find strange is that the user doesn't know that he cannot post anymore (muted) till he press the "post" button, I think that a behaviour like the one you have in a read only forum, could be more user friendly.
But if he had been muted he must be a bad user :) so he have to suffer  8)
Bye
K.

Jade Elizabeth

I thought muted would remove the post button/quick reply?

Doesn't matter I suppose.
Once proud Documentation Writer and Help Squad Leader | Check out my new adult coloring career: Color With Jade/Patreon.

Kirys

Quote from: Alundra on March 24, 2008, 05:25:29 PM

That is the behaviour I would like :) , but actually the button is still there but the user cannot create a post/reply because after pressing the "post button" (the one on the reply/quick reply form) the forum answer that he cannot post to that board.

Anyway I'm just curious to know the reason of this choice.
Cya

Jade Elizabeth

Quote from: Kirys on March 24, 2008, 05:52:19 PM
Quote from: Alundra on March 24, 2008, 05:25:29 PM

That is the behaviour I would like :) , but actually the button is still there but the user cannot create a post/reply because after pressing the "post button" (the one on the reply/quick reply form) the forum answer that he cannot post to that board.

Anyway I'm just curious to know the reason of this choice.
Cya

It does? Well that's probably better, because simply put I'd be getting emails asking where the button's gone ::)
However, quick reply should leave...

Kirys

That's a good point!
This shows that everything is a matter of points of view :)
cya

Grudge

This should probably be improved in the next beta as I agree it should be obvious to the user that they are under some restriction. Either a message at the top of the forum or, at the very least, a more informative message (i.e: "You cannot post due to having been warned to a muted status" with some additional note on their profile summary page.
I'm only a half geek really...

Kirys

Advertisement: