News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

Advanced Reputation System

Started by Fustrate, March 25, 2008, 12:51:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AngelikaCourtois

alan,

I have SMF 1.1.9 installed, as well as the Advanced Reputation System 0.1.3

On my board I can change the preferences by:

Admin Tab
Features and Options
Reputation Tab
Standard settings are already filled in after install
Now you can set your preferences for what works for your Forum

*I played around with my preferences, had my staff test them each time I changed it until I figured out which preferences I liked.

Hope this helps.

Angelika

Quote from: alan081954 on June 26, 2009, 02:38:50 PM
I looked through all of the post's here...........did I miss where the standard settings are for setting up the rep system?

AngelikaCourtois

Paracelsus,

Ja, Ano *laughs* ... yes, I can see that very easily but I work around that by creating a Forum/Category/Thread that says ... beg for reps here. It channels people's need to click on cute icons, to afford them to be cute to others since it also give the opportunity to leave little blurbs, and its amazing how creative people can get when begging for reps *laughs* (negative reps have been disabled).

But then again mine is a social Forum targeted at a specific group of people, so bantering of that sort is welcomed (but needs to be harnessed) .... rather than frowned upon. This type of approach is not for everyone and on the more serious scale, I can see where it would be better all around if there was a way to use some sort of mathematical approach to the repping.

Angelika

Quote from: Paracelsus on June 26, 2009, 02:56:43 PM

I understand your explanation, but imagine this:

Member A is one hell of a poster ;D and have a huge Rep Power, let's say 40, compared to 90% of the other members that have between 0 and 2. Then there's member B which is a novice that has Rep Power 0. Member A decides to applaud a post from member B. The result is that member B gets 40 Rep Power in a single vote and becomes one of the most Reputated members of that forum because of a single post that the member A decided to applaud, even though member B hasn't done anything special to deserve that reputation.

I think that there should be a limit to how much you can give in Reputation, even if you have a huge Rep Power. Join date, number of total applauds or smites, number of posts, etc should be taken into account to those that receive Reputation in order to "buffer" the system, otherwise my feeling is that it will just increase and increase with no real control.

universalsameera

Hello this is a great mod but I have never been able to successfully install mods like this. Here is my folder with all the edited files. If anyone can check them and correct I'll be forever greatful because I really want this mod. With this mod when I try to add reputation power it says can not load karma template, I can't change the name of reputation to anything else either. When you edit files I sometimes get extra spaces between lines. Is this a problem? Also I didn't edit the files that are not compulsory for installation.

Here is my file

If someone can check this and tell me where I went wrong I'll be so greatful. Thankyou very much   :)

alan081954

Quote from: AngelikaCourtois on June 26, 2009, 03:54:46 PM
alan,

I have SMF 1.1.9 installed, as well as the Advanced Reputation System 0.1.3

On my board I can change the preferences by:

Admin Tab
Features and Options
Reputation Tab
Standard settings are already filled in after install
Now you can set your preferences for what works for your Forum

*I played around with my preferences, had my staff test them each time I changed it until I figured out which preferences I liked.

Hope this helps.

Angelika

Quote from: alan081954 on June 26, 2009, 02:38:50 PM
I looked through all of the post's here...........did I miss where the standard settings are for setting up the rep system?

Could ya post a pic as to what yours are for I can use them? Thanks.

AngelikaCourtois

alan,

There you go, its attached.

Angelika

Quote from: alan081954 on June 26, 2009, 04:18:30 PMCould ya post a pic as to what yours are for I can use them? Thanks.

alan081954

alan081954

Now......Does anyone know how to change the text in the attached image?

universalsameera

I can't chane the reputation name to anything else. It always shows as reputation power. When I give Karma to someone it doesn't show. It stays at zero. Here are all my edited files. Please help!!

Fustrate

universalsameera - did Karma.template.php get uploaded to your /Themes/default/ folder?

alan081954 - look in /Themes/default/languages/index.(your language).php and find the strings, then replace them. http://www.fustrate.com/dev/sources/Advanced%20Reputation%20System/Reputation_2-0/install.xml should help. Afterwards, if you're on 2.0, go to Admin > Maintenance > Routine Maintenance > Clear file cache (it's something like that, I'm not looking at an installation to make sure)

As for the "stays at 0", that's because you don't have any reputation power to give. Go into your profile and give yourself 10000 positive reputation points, and that'll give you 100 power, so that every time you (as the admin) give reputation, they themselves get 1 power. I really need to finish the tool for this...

Anyone else, if you still need help, please re-post your problem and I'll try to figure it out.
Steven Hoffman
Former Team Member, 2009-2012

Thenewguy2009

Getting this error code and I believe its from this mod. 

When I go to remove a topic, Im getting this error code.   Im hoping im just missing a squiggly or something.  Can someone figure this out?

You have an error in your SQL syntax; check the manual that corresponds to your MySQL server version for the right syntax to use near '' at line 3

File: /home/content/t/e/t/test/html/Sources/RemoveTopic.php
Line: 242

Note: It appears that your database may require an upgrade. Your forum's files are currently at version SMF 1.1.9, while your database is at version 1.1.4. The above error might possibly go away if you execute the latest version of upgrade.php.

Attached is my removetopic.php

Fustrate

Try this - SMFShop isn't using very clean code to accomplish what it's doing...
Steven Hoffman

Thenewguy2009

Fustrate, awesome man thank you.  What was the problem on that?

On my original post, I stated it was with smf shop then a wise man told me it had to do with this mod so i posted it here. 

I really appreciate the help. 

Fustrate

It was because they commented out a portion of code that was vital to this mod and replaced it with the exact same thing, but closed it off before the rep system could use it. If you look at a diff of the original and new files, you'll see that I moved the rep system code inside the shop's brackets.
Steven Hoffman

alan081954

Quote from: Fustrate on June 27, 2009, 11:33:35 AM
universalsameera - did Karma.template.php get uploaded to your /Themes/default/ folder?

alan081954 - look in /Themes/default/languages/index.(your language).php and find the strings, then replace them. http://www.fustrate.com/dev/sources/Advanced%20Reputation%20System/Reputation_2-0/install.xml should help. Afterwards, if you're on 2.0, go to Admin > Maintenance > Routine Maintenance > Clear file cache (it's something like that, I'm not looking at an installation to make sure)

As for the "stays at 0", that's because you don't have any reputation power to give. Go into your profile and give yourself 10000 positive reputation points, and that'll give you 100 power, so that every time you (as the admin) give reputation, they themselves get 1 power. I really need to finish the tool for this...

Anyone else, if you still need help, please re-post your problem and I'll try to figure it out.

I have it working.............All I was wanting to do is change the text in the box in my previous post above.

Thenewguy2009

Yes, nice work fustrate. I see what you are talking about.  Thanks again.

neteater

i am getting this error reputation is printed many times attached thubnails

Aryon

Hello everyone ...

The administrator of our forum, of which I am the global moderator has set her reputation at 10,000 in her profile. This gave her a visual rep of 199. Following this, she made one posting on the forums and it upped her rep power to 200.

Then she repped the staff, they each got 4 rep points, thereby moving their rep power up by 4. So those who had 2 points showing, now show 6, and so on.

Would someone be so kind as to outline how the reputation system actually works? IE ... with 10,000 points, why would it only give 4, based on the above mentioned information.

Thank you in advance.

~ Aryon

Thenewguy2009

well that is all controled in the admin control panel. 

Aryon

Quote from: Thenewguy2009 on June 29, 2009, 01:36:25 AM

We do appreciate that it is controlled in the admin control panel ... however, that is not precisely what I am looking for. I would like an outline that will inform our staff in case any of our members inquire ... based on the scenario above:

10000 points = 199 reputation power = ??

how much reputation power does the next person she reps get.

I mean ... why 4, it does not appear to be logical.

Logic would indicate:
10000 points = 199 rep power = 1 rep
10001= 200=2
etc., etc.

Thanks in advance.

~ Aryon

Thenewguy2009

Quote from: Aryon on June 29, 2009, 01:54:11 AM
Quote from: Thenewguy2009 on June 29, 2009, 01:36:25 AM

We do appreciate that it is controlled in the admin control panel ... however, that is not precisely what I am looking for. I would like an outline that will inform our staff in case any of our members inquire ... based on the scenario above:

10000 points = 199 reputation power = ??

how much reputation power does the next person she reps get.

I mean ... why 4, it does not appear to be logical.

Logic would indicate:
10001= 200=2
etc., etc.

Thanks in advance.

~ Aryon

Aryon..all that is set in the admin control panel.  Why you set up:

why 4, it does not appear to be logical

or

10001= 200=2
etc., etc.

That is up to you. 

Maybe make a sticky post and detail how the system works according to your settings.  All that is set in admin cp and why its configured that way on your forum is up to you.  Why dont you ask the admin, since your just the global mod to explain it?

Advertisement: