News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

Email notification of PM change "Reply" link to a "View" link

Started by splatman, March 28, 2008, 04:40:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

splatman

Hello,

I've been able to remove the actual text of the PM from the notification email, but I would like to change the "Reply to" link to a "View" link.  Currently, you get a notification of the PM and a link to reply to it.  So the user clicks it and is taken to the forum and the PM loads in reply mode.  I would just like to send the user to the PM and allow them to read it first and reply if they want to.  Since it takes them there in reply mode, the PM is hard to read since it quotes everything.

So I would just like to send the user in view mode and not reply mode...  Any ideas?

Thank you for your time.

greyknight17

This is not tested....make sure you backup the files before editing them.

Open up /Sources/Subs-Post.php:

Code (Search for) Select
$mailmessage .= "\n\n" . $txt['instant_reply'] . ' ' . $scripturl . '?action=pm;sa=send;f=inbox;pmsg=' . $ID_PM . ';quote;u=' . $from['id'];

Code (Replace with) Select
$mailmessage .= "\n\n" . $txt['instant_reply'] . ' ' . $scripturl . '?action=pm#' . $ID_PM;

Open up /Themes/default/languages/PersonalMessage.english.php:

Code (Search for and modify to your own wording) Select
$txt['instant_reply'] = 'Reply to this Personal Message here:';

splatman

First off - Thank you for taking the time to work with me on this.  Ok, so I get this error when I click on "My Messages" now.

Parse error: syntax error, unexpected T_STRING in /forumTEST/Sources/Subs-Post.php on line 846

Line 846 is:     sendmail($notification_list, $mailsubject, $mailmessage, null, 'p' . $ID_PM);

greyknight17

Edited my last post....use this instead:

$mailmessage .= "\n\n" . $txt['instant_reply'] . ' ' . $scripturl . '?action=pm#' . $ID_PM;

splatman

Link works great, although, changing the text in /Themes/default/languages/PersonalMessage.english.php has no effect.  I'm using the default theme, isn't there a second place to adjust email text.  I thought I ran into this problem when adjusting one of the other messages....I had to do it in two places...

greyknight17

Look at the SMF Language Strings link in my signature. Search for the text you get in the email (part of it will do). You should find out which file is responsible from looking it up on that site.

splatman

Ok, so here is why it didn't work.  For whatever reason, I had to go and do the same changes to my real forum before it would work.  Not sure why, since I even have separate DB's for my real one and the test forum...

Oh, well.  Thank you very much for your time and efforts - This is exactly what I needed.

Advertisement: