News:

SMF 2.1.4 has been released! Take it for a spin! Read more.

Main Menu

RP Stats Mod

Started by Daisuke_aurora, June 05, 2008, 01:02:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Daisuke_aurora

I was wondering if anyone here can help me make a mod for a Role-Playing site. I want a mod that will work like this:

-at pre-set post increments, player's will recieve 2 stat points.
-There will be a tab at the top called stats, in which members can go to spend their points.
-Their stats are reflected in custom profile fields that update as they spend their points on them.

Any help? or ideas as to how to make it work?

spearfish

Interesting.... what would these "stats" be?

Eliana Tamerin

Might work in a shop-esque kind of way.
Do NOT PM me for support.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 is OUT!
SimplePortal Project Manager
Download | Docs
SimplePortal: Power of Simplicity!

spearfish

Yes.... which makes me figure he might want to consider the SMF Shop Mod.

What I don't understand is what the driving purpose of this is:
Someone's profile could say that they have 100 strength, defense, whatever, but who gives a rats rectum?  You can't actually play an RPG.  That said, many people have requested a RPG integrated with Simple Machines.

Eliana Tamerin

Sure you can, there are some RPGs that are based on writing instead of button clicking like WOW and Final Fantasy. Those RPGs can make use of stats to assist the game.

Download | Docs

spearfish

I do not know of any internet RPG that will pull stats from a simple machines database.

Eliana Tamerin

spearfish, maybe they're making their own with the forums? And some of the RPG scripts can be bridged.

But this isn't an argument for whether or not RPGs can work with SMF, it's a mod request for an RPG stats mod. I'd suggest taking the off-topic discussion elsewhere.

Download | Docs

spearfish

What I'm trying to get across is that this would have a low interest level among forum admins if this didn't come with a built in RPG itself.

ccbtimewiz

Quote from: spearfish on June 06, 2008, 02:13:36 PM
What I'm trying to get across is that this would have a low interest level among forum admins if this didn't come with a built in RPG itself.

I don't really think you can speak for admins in general without asking for more opinion.

It depends. Some admins would like having this feature for such things that go beyond yielding information in a database and converting it into processed data. Things that would make use of a human's mind to process it.

spearfish

Whatever.  I would suggest this be based off of the SMF Shop Mod, and have items made that set up the profile fields + go into the shop to increase these.

Eliana Tamerin

spearfish, if you're not interested in this mod, I suggest that you refrain from offering further comments on it. I can assure you there there is a definite interest in RPG mods like the OP has requested.

If it's not your thing, just ignore it, and it won't bother you. ;)

Download | Docs

spearfish

Bahh!! What if it attacks me in my sleep!?!

I don't meant to butt heads here, I'm just giving my input about how this would be best accomplished.... there's already a framework in place.

Daisuke_aurora

Basically, I wanted to make is to that when a person posted enough times, he would make it to a higher "level" defined by user groups. When this person "levels up" he/she will get a few points to distribute to their stats. These points can only be spent in the Stats area, so yes it would function a lot like the Shop. I am just bad at scripting though. All it would need to do is be able to give a member 2 Stat points when they change membergroups, and have an area like the shop but the items would all cost 1 stat point and would make additions to the stats in the custom profile.

@ Spearfish: I was originally using custom profile fields, but for security reasons I had to make it so only Admin could change them, otherwise they would be pointless. That meant every time a member "Leveled up", they would have to PM an admin, who would have to go and manually make the changes... this will save a lot of time and effort.

spearfish

Okay, definitely look into SMF Shop then.  I'm not sure if it'll 100% suit your needs, but it gives users credits for each post.... then you could make a custom item in the shop that levels up their stats.

Look into SMF Shop, see if you like it, and if you need help making the item let me know.

Daisuke_aurora

I was wondering if I could take the SMF shop mod, then rename the tab "Stats" and have the Points become a new type of points. Basically, I'd be running 2 SMF shops side by side, but they'd be named and use different currency. SOunds fairly easy, right?

And how would I make items that affect stats? Your help would be greatly appreciated, thanks! :D

Eliana Tamerin

You'd have to do some renaming for the second shop version, for tables and variables and such, so it doesn't get conflicted.

Download | Docs

spearfish

Yes, a pair of SMF Shops would require you do go into the install file and change names, and then some.

Would a single shop work?

As for the statistics, I would suggest creating a custom profile field that cannot be edited by the user.  Once you've done that, post the EXACT field names and I'll help you make the items.

Daisuke_aurora

Well, I currently have a shop installed, so limiting it to one shop would be great! I just wanted to use 2 shops for the member group thing, and the Stat currency, and make it so if you didn't have Stat points, you couldn't see the Stat items or area.

I've decided to try it Spearfish's way. I'll make the fields and post the names once I'm done (and have time to come back online  :)). Thanks again for your help!

spearfish

Alright cool.  It is possible to have two separate shops installed, but again, it would require effort and would be error-prone.

I've made a few SMF shop items before, so I should be able to help you out.

If you want go ahead and PM me, but we'll be able to work it out here :-)

Daisuke_aurora

Alright, here's the first one. The exact Name (in brackets): [Atk]. And it's profile field code ( or whatever it's called) is [CP2]. The item needs to basically increase the number displayed in the field by 1 when used.

Advertisement: