News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

zCommunity 0.8.1 Beta Now available! (supports SMF 2.0 RC1 and 1.1.8)

Started by Charles Hill, June 16, 2008, 03:33:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sweetwater

Hi Charles,

I'm not seeing any login ability or link from your developement site... Am I missing something obvious??

Regards,

Sweetwater

Quote from: Charles Hill on June 25, 2008, 08:00:14 AM
Yes.  Check out my development site: http://dev.degreesofzero.com/index.php

username: test3
password: test

Go to Profile and look for Blog Settings on the left menu area of the profile.  Play around with it a bit and let me know what  ya think :)

Charles Hill

http://dev.degreesofzero.com/index.php

You need the index.php at the end there.  The dev site has v1.08 of my blog mod installed and 3 separate testing accounts already.. Just login using test, test2, or test3 and go to profile to check it out.

Sweetwater

Looks great charles. When are you releasing this version?

Sweetwater

Charles Hill

Most likely within a week.  I'm going to be adding some extra functionality here and there and testing it fully.

ilikeitalot

This is coming along very nicely.  Great job Charles!  One more feature request:

Can you add a link to "Blog Settings" on the blog page (only if the blog owner is viewing it, of course)?  You could put it at the top, just to the left of the "Post New Topic" link.  That would make it much more obvious to get to the settings... so they can easily add categories, etc.

And a question:  How will an admin be able to make a blog for a member?  Just curioius.

Thanks for all the great work.

Charles Hill

Admins don't make blogs for users.  Users initialize their own blog via a simple click of a mouse in their profile... On the blog settings page.  If they user doesn't already have a blog this is displayed: "You have not initialized your blog yet.  Click here to initialize it."

Once they click the link their blog is instantaneously set up with default settings and they can modify their categories and blog settings at will.  I'll add that link to the blog settings page like you suggested.

chrisb

We have installed the mod on a brand new forum, then went into features and options and we are unable to find the blog mod appearing in the forum at all,

Is there anywhere else it should appear as we are unable to activate the blog mod on the test forum.

Charles Hill

If you are using a custom theme you're going to have to make the modifications to your theme's template files manually.

You will also need to modify your template's language files manually.  Check the blog.xml file for the changes made to the default template and language files, and make the corresponding changes on your theme's template and language files.

chrisb

We have installed this on a brand new forum with the default mod and this is not working still, is there a reason why this might happen

musicman8oh8

I've installed the latest Blog mod on this site as of 28 Jun 08 with no apparent issues but when trying to post all I get is "There are no topics in this category." and I haven't a clue as to what the problem is, I'm using the default SMF theme as this is a test site. So where am I to add/edit topics. Thanx in advance!
"Providing World Class Entertainment"
http://dangerousmindz.com/forum

ilikeitalot

Another feature request... Could you add a setting where members could specify if guests (or members) can view their blog.  I know that some of my users would want their blogs to be for members only.

Charles Hill

Quote from: musicman8oh8 on June 28, 2008, 10:43:13 PM
I've installed the latest Blog mod on this site as of 28 Jun 08 with no apparent issues but when trying to post all I get is "There are no topics in this category." and I haven't a clue as to what the problem is, I'm using the default SMF theme as this is a test site. So where am I to add/edit topics. Thanx in advance!

I am unsure as to what would be causing such an error.  You could just wait for 1.08.   I will be testing everything very thoroughly.

Quote from: ilikeitalot on June 29, 2008, 08:07:40 PM
Another feature request... Could you add a setting where members could specify if guests (or members) can view their blog.  I know that some of my users would want their blogs to be for members only.
Scratch what I said about making a setting for the admin about allowing blog owners to restrict access.  I am going to make another permission to do this.  It'll allow admins to have a lot more discretion as to which of their users can do this.

edit--

Here is a taste of what you can expect from version 1.08 of this blog mod.........

- Multiple blogs mode, when enabled, will allow all users of your forum who have the write_blog permission to make their own blog.  Blog owners will automatically be given moderating ability for their blog (their blog board only).  All blogs appear on the Blog Index page.  Users can set all the blog related settings and create, edit, move, delete blog categories of their own via their profile page.

- Added settings for admin only:
   > Hide blog boards on board index
   > Target category for new blog boards (which category you'd like all new blog boards to be created in)

- New Permissions:
   > write_blog ... users with this permission can make their own blogs
   > multiple_blogs ... users with this permission can make multiple blogs (must have write_blog permission)
   > blog_restrict_access ... users with this permission can restrict access to their blog(s) based on member groups

New blog settings:
- Enable/disable Links window
- Enable/disable Friends Of window
- Set side windows to appear on left OR right

New blog tools:
- Links window allows users to show a list of links in a side window that will appear on every page of their blog
- Friends Of window allows users to shows links to blogs of other users

I am also planning on creating a few different blog themes that blog owners will be able to select from, but I don't think I'll get it done for v1.08.

ssufian

Sorry... I'm totally new here...

totally new in SMF forum and also this Blog mod...

I've installed this mod and enable it in hidden mod then how to post inside this blog?

what is the 'Blog Board ID' how to get the 'ID'?

ilikeitalot

Quoteblog_restrict_access ... users with this permission can restrict access to their blog(s) based on member groups

Can you make it where members can only see/choose from membergroups they are in (plus Guests)?  I wouldn't really want them to see all the defined membergroups.  It would also be good to exclude post-based groups.

Charles Hill

Quote from: ssufian on June 30, 2008, 04:00:37 AM
Sorry... I'm totally new here...

totally new in SMF forum and also this Blog mod...

I've installed this mod and enable it in hidden mod then how to post inside this blog?

what is the 'Blog Board ID' how to get the 'ID'?
Your blog is just a board you designate as your blog.  Once you've designated a board as your blog, you can post there just like any other board.

flapper

Quote from: Charles Hill on June 25, 2008, 10:37:29 AM
Most likely within a week.  I'm going to be adding some extra functionality here and there and testing it fully.

Any news on release date, my members are crying out for there own blog's :)

Charles Hill

Sorry things have been really crazy for me the last week.. Been moving into a new place and have had all kinds of network/cable problems.  It'll probably be 10 days or so before 1.08 is ready.

cr34t1v3

Hi Charles, it's me again.
I noticed some error during posting a calendar event.
When I click 'post event' in calendar below message appear:
'You have an error in your SQL syntax; check the manual that corresponds to your MySQL server version for the right syntax to use near 'ORDER BY t.categoryID
LIMIT 1' at line 5
File: /home/forumanu/public_html/Sources/Post.php
Line: 196 '

And it's pointing to the blog mod below:

189      // let's get the blog category that this topic is currently in
190     $request = db_query("
191         SELECT bc.categoryID, bc.name
192         FROM {$db_prefix}blog_categories as bc
193            LEFT JOIN {$db_prefix}topics as t ON (bc.categoryID = t.categoryID)
194         WHERE t.ID_TOPIC = $context[current_topic]
195         ORDER BY t.categoryID
196         LIMIT 1", __FILE__, __LINE__);
198      if (mysql_num_rows($request) > 0) {
199        $row = mysql_fetch_assoc($request);
200        $context['current_blog_cat'] = array(
201           'id' => $row['categoryID'],
202           'name' => $row['name'],
203        );
204     }
205      mysql_free_result($request);
206      if (isset($row))
207         unset($row);

Any idea?
Notebook & Computer Online Store in Indonesia:
http://www.anugrahpratama.com
Computer & Notebook Forum in Indonesia:
http://forum.anugrahpratama.com
Computer & Laptop Review & News Blog:
http://blog.anugrahpratama.com

Charles Hill

I haven't worked with the calendar portion of SMF at all.  I'm assuming that there is no such context variable as $context['current_topic'] when posting a calendar event.  Try adding single quotes around $context[current_topic] and see if that makes the error go away.

cr34t1v3

Tried to add single quote like this: $context['current_topic'], still not working.
btw, I see there is a message few line above: '// !!! These won't work if you're posting an event!'
Is this mean that I can't post even in calendar?
Notebook & Computer Online Store in Indonesia:
http://www.anugrahpratama.com
Computer & Notebook Forum in Indonesia:
http://forum.anugrahpratama.com
Computer & Laptop Review & News Blog:
http://blog.anugrahpratama.com

Advertisement: