SMF 2.0 Update Part IIIIII

Started by Grudge, July 07, 2008, 12:18:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grudge

Come one, come all,

So, it's been a little while since the last update which no doubt means that the World is coming to an end, all the developers of SMF have died in a freak swan related accident or we've got a bit caught up and haven't had much to say. Fortunately I can inform all those listening (I'm sure there are at least three people interested in this post) that it's the third of those points which is most true (Although it was touch and go for a minute on the who swan thing – I told Compuart that stop waving his body parts at our flying friends).

Anyhow, I don't really have any real excuses for why Beta 4 isn't out. Summer is always a difficult time to develop, there are times when programmers have even been to leave the house during the height of this season. Personally I've been quite busy with the whole inconvenience that is real life, and thus bugs haven't been getting fixed and our terribly efficient (and hence terribly irritating) beta team keep finding more bugs to fix – grrr. There are still a couple of real humdingers on the bug tracker which we simply must fix and I'm afraid Beta 4 must wait until then.

However, all is not lost. We should all be a little more free the next few weeks and we are trying damn hard to squash those remaining little critters. Once Beta 4 is out we just need to run through the bug fixing all the way to final – sounds so much easier to say than to do of course. In the mean time, those waiting patiently should probably visit their local Church/Mosque/Synagogue and partake in some lovely sing songs and praise their respective Lords to pass the time. Those who are not waiting patiently should try seeing how many malnourished gerbils they can stuff down their trousers and submit photos to RickC who is compiling them for marketing purposes; anyone who does so with a SMF T-Shirt on will be provided with one virtual "nod in the right direction" to show our respect without actually costing us any money, as we need all our money to fund Derek's server farm.

Anyway, "Happy Holidays" (The politically correct version of "Enjoy the Summer" as some people, like myself, live in rubbish countries which don't really experience sun.

Grudge
I'm only a half geek really...

SleePy

* SleePy wonders if grudges "I" key got stuck and just went with it :P
Jeremy D ~ Site Team / SMF Developer ~ GitHub Profile ~ Join us on IRC @ Libera.chat/#smf ~ Support the SMF Support team!

Fustrate

IIIIII for one appreciate the heads-up ;) I'll go find some malnourished gerbils... but does the SMF shirt have to be the official one? Or can I finger paint on a blank shirt?
Steven Hoffman
Former Team Member, 2009-2012

Sarge

Just when I thought I'd dedicate myself to some hardcore beta testing, starting with an upgrade of my live forum of ~362K posts from 1.1.5 to Beta 3.1... Oh well, you lose some, you gain some.

Hopefully you guys will get to have more time and less inconvenience during holidays. And please stay away from lakes and other bodies of water. We'll understand.

;D

Please do not PM me with support requests unless I invite you to.

http://www.zeriyt.com/   ~   http://www.galeriashqiptare.net/

<H> I had zero posts when I started posting

Tristan Perry

Enjoy the Summer too Grudge ;) Gotta love the UK... heh.

Nice to have an update - I think everyone is a little busy with real life right now, however as you say, that will soon get a bit easier, hence hopefully SMF SecretWorldDominationVersion 3.0 will soon be out ;D

* Wait, you mean you haven't announced your World Domination plans yet?

Jade Elizabeth

My gerbil is WELL nourished...I have a pic on my meet the team thread as proof :P

Good post though, made me laugh.
Once proud Documentation Writer and Help Squad Leader | Check out my new adult coloring career: Color With Jade/Patreon.

Amacythe

* Amacythe just shakes her head and chuckles

Grudge, you don't have time to be the Team Comedian AND squash bugs...

HecKel

Quote from: Grudge on July 07, 2008, 12:18:06 PM
So, it's been a little while since the last update which no doubt means that the World is coming to an end, all the developers of SMF have died in a freak swan related accident or we've got a bit caught up and haven't had much to say. Fortunately I can inform all those listening (I'm sure there are at least three people interested in this post) that it's the third of those points which is most true (Although it was touch and go for a minute on the who swan thing – I told Compuart that stop waving his body parts at our flying friends).

No news, are good news :P But I was quite impatient :P I'm glad that we've got more news about SMF 2.0 :)

Quote from: Grudge on July 07, 2008, 12:18:06 PMAnyhow, I don't really have any real excuses for why Beta 4 isn't out. Summer is always a difficult time to develop, there are times when programmers have even been to leave the house during the height of this season. Personally I've been quite busy with the whole inconvenience that is real life, and thus bugs haven't been getting fixed and our terribly efficient (and hence terribly irritating) beta team keep finding more bugs to fix – grrr. There are still a couple of real humdingers on the bug tracker which we simply must fix and I'm afraid Beta 4 must wait until then.

However, all is not lost. We should all be a little more free the next few weeks and we are trying damn hard to squash those remaining little critters. Once Beta 4 is out we just need to run through the bug fixing all the way to final – sounds so much easier to say than to do of course. In the mean time, those waiting patiently should probably visit their local Church/Mosque/Synagogue and partake in some lovely sing songs and praise their respective Lords to pass the time. Those who are not waiting patiently should try seeing how many malnourished gerbils they can stuff down their trousers and submit photos to RickC who is compiling them for marketing purposes; anyone who does so with a SMF T-Shirt on will be provided with one virtual "nod in the right direction" to show our respect without actually costing us any money, as we need all our money to fund Derek's server farm.

Anyway, "Happy Holidays" (The politically correct version of "Enjoy the Summer" as some people, like myself, live in rubbish countries which don't really experience sun.

Grudge

Enjoy the Summer ;) And I recommend you to go to Portugal :P My country is quite near UK and we have Sun :P
Quote from: Eliana Tamerin on August 23, 2008, 04:10:10 PM
SMF 7 is where it gets good. That has time travel. You can go back and post before the guy who flamed you. :P

aldo

Cool, I am working on a PHP project, and its soooo hot, and I have barely touched it, lol.

Anyways, I hope Beta 4 comes out soon, but it will get here when it is ready xD

MultiformeIngegno

RockCiclopedia (wiki - forum), Tutta la storia del rock, scritta da voi ...
Rimanere aggiornati sul mondo della musica grazie al nuovo feed "RockCiclopedia Music News"!

Dragooon

Beta 4 is out and RC 1 is in works, thats the news ^_^.

MultiformeIngegno

RockCiclopedia (wiki - forum), Tutta la storia del rock, scritta da voi ...
Rimanere aggiornati sul mondo della musica grazie al nuovo feed "RockCiclopedia Music News"!

Nao 尚

I don't think RC1 will ever get released... ;)
It would be like... Getting closer to a final release! Brrrr!!!!
I will not make any deals with you. I've resigned. I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered.

Aeva Media rocks your life.

codenaught

Heh it's a limit.

The limit as x (time) approaches infinity, we get closer and closer to final, but never quite get there. ;)
Dev Consultant
Former SMF Doc Coordinator

Jade Elizabeth

It's like tomorrow!!! Always coming but ever here!!!! >:D
Once proud Documentation Writer and Help Squad Leader | Check out my new adult coloring career: Color With Jade/Patreon.

Fustrate

Oh great, Jade, now all of the lovely newbies will be running around screaming "JADE SED IT WUD B HERE 2DAI!"...
Steven Hoffman
Former Team Member, 2009-2012

Jade Elizabeth

Quote from: YodaOfDarkness on November 14, 2008, 08:58:58 PM
Oh great, Jade, now all of the lovely newbies will be running around screaming "JADE SED IT WUD B HERE 2DAI!"...

Hee hee. That would entertain me at least ;).

Antechinus

Cool. I recommend that Jade be assigned to answer all future questions about RC1 and Final. ;D

Gotta keep her entertained.

Acans

Shouldn't IIIII be V

Blame Jade if you do not like it, she has changed my english.
"The Book of Arantor, 17:3-5
  And I said unto him, thy database query shalt always be sent by the messenger of $smcFunc
  And $smcFunc shall protect you against injections and evil
  And so it came to pass that mysql_query was declared deprecated and even though he says he is not
  dead yet, the time was soon to come to pass when mysql_query shall be gone and no more

Powerbob

Final ??? there's no news about an RC1, let alone a final!

My SMF 2.1 Beta test site; http://www.pplb.net/smf21/index.php

Advertisement: