News:

Wondering if this will always be free?  See why free is better.

Main Menu

Converting a phpBB bot for SMF

Started by Old Lynx, July 09, 2008, 06:50:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Old Lynx

Hello everyone

I have managed to get an  Auto Link Checker Bot for phpbb from another forum, and I really want it installed on my forum which is running SMF. So I am looking for someone to convert it for me to SMF, not for free of course :) I am willing to pay $50 to whoever does it :)

If anyone is interested then please let me know. the bot is attached to this post of mine.

I have it for phpBB2 and phpBB3.

Mod/Admin: if this is the wrong section to post this in, please forgive me and move this topic to the correct area.

Thanks, any help would be GREATLY appreciated.

Thanks Guys

*mod file was removed - but I now see permission has been granted - feel free to reattach it.*

Night09

Not sure if its intentional or your unaware the attachment has got password protection so no one will be able to look at the code.

Old Lynx

oooops sorry nightbre :)

you are right :) the password is {{ [email protected] }}

I forgot to put it :)

Eliana Tamerin

You would need to obtain the original author's permission to do this. A mod cannot be converted without permission.

I'm a little suspicious about why it was distributed on warez-bb.org. Makes me wonder if the mod is supposed to be paid for. If that's true, then you're illegally in possession of such a mod, and should dispose of the files until you obtain it legally.
Do NOT PM me for support.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 is OUT!
SimplePortal Project Manager
Download | Docs
SimplePortal: Power of Simplicity!

Old Lynx

do you want me to link you to the topic on Warez-BB ?? I read it and the original guys who worked on this said I could convert it to SMF .. not a problem as long as I give them credit for it :) (i.e. not say I made this Mod ... etc etc)

The whole topic on there is called { Auto Link Checker Bot - Link Detective (Script Released!) }

its 66 pages and I read them all :) Our good man Hawke has released it to the public as you can see from the topic subject :) However just to prove to you that I ain't lying Dear Eliana (nice name by the way) here is a link :)

http://www.warez-bb.org/viewtopic.php?t=969901&start=0

Thanks

Ohh by the way Can you do it ? lol

Eliana Tamerin

Well, here's the suspicious part: http://www.tamilfusion.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=648

Looks like a copy/paste to me. Which users on warez-bb are notorious for, along with every other warez sharing site. I'd suggest contacting the author's email listed in the install.xml and obtaining permission that way.

And btw, I read your request for a conversion on that topic, and the "author" (if that is him) never actually gave you permission.

Download | Docs

Old Lynx

hmm Ok I'll do that ! I'll open the install.xml and look for an e-mail in there.

Once I find the e-mail in there >> I'll send him an e-mail and ask him if I can convert it to SMF. I'll quote his reply on here :) Is that the correct way ? if not, and I've missed something let me know please ! :)

I don't understand though.. why would Hawke on W-BB say " Hi Guys just thought id post some info on a script that ive been writing, as its now fully working on my tes site. "

That seems evil to me :( and he doesn't look like the evil type

Eliana Tamerin

I wouldn't dare underestimate the ability of some people to steal credit and claim as their own, even going so far to support it. It seems far fetched, but it's happened.

Anyways, yes, that would be the correct procedure. Besides, he never did reply to your post, so this way you'll be sure he sees your request.

Download | Docs

Old Lynx

OK I'm in the middle of writing the e-mail to him :) I'll be back here when I get his reply

Thanks Eliana for showing me the correct way to do things ;) MUCH APPRECIATED :)

Old Lynx

Eliana in the install.xml it shows this ...

I try sending e-mails to that e-mail address but I keep getting a failure notification from hotmail, which suggests the e-mail address is either wrong or doesn't exist :(

Night09

See if you can find the mod anywhere else to check if theres updated details listed in a new version maybe

Old Lynx

I've checked a couple of sites and the Author info is the same on all of them !

Old Lynx

Hi again :)

Ok here is what I got from the great guys at W-BB.

QuoteTell em I say its ok. :D

This script is not stolen as the mod author posted this thread with the links to download his mod (Updated versions somewhere around page 60ish) and wrote this himself so if it is stolen, Hawke stole it from himself. lol

With the help of a few members, We just updated took over and updated it where he left off and he has been very supportive with us updating it.

Hawke is super busy with other behind the scenes stuff here and doenst have much time to check the thread but I am sure he wont mind. Maybe PM me the site or point them to this thread. As long as all the credit is left in place in the files as is now then all is good. :D

CONVERT AWAY ALREADY! :D Plus, I might set up a SMF test forum and if this would work with it and I like SMF I might make the switch.

Now can someone help me !! :( ....PLEASEEEEEEEEEEE

Hippie459MN

First of all I would like to say hello.

Next I would like to say that it is ok for this to be converted as I have worked on this with Hawke recently and this mod is his and he has publicly released it so no it is not stolen or anything of that nature. The only think we ask is that all the correct credit goes out to everyone in the original pbpBB install files.

I myself would convert this but I have no clue about SMF at all and my job right now does not allow me much time so even if I did myself it would be a year before I got it done. lol

Quote from: Eliana Tamerin on July 09, 2008, 10:42:08 AM
You would need to obtain the original author's permission to do this. A mod cannot be converted without permission.

I'm a little suspicious about why it was distributed on hxxp:warez-bb.org [nonactive]. Makes me wonder if the mod is supposed to be paid for. If that's true, then you're illegally in possession of such a mod, and should dispose of the files until you obtain it legally.

The reason it was distibuted on WBB is that he is one of the Deleloper Team Leaders at warez-bb and does alot of the phpbb coding for them.

Again, Hawke has made this version a public release.

Quote from: Eliana Tamerin on July 09, 2008, 11:08:21 AM
Well, here's the suspicious part: hxxp:www.tamilfusion.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=648 [nonactive]

Looks like a copy/paste to me. Which users on warez-bb are notorious for, along with every other warez sharing site. I'd suggest contacting the author's email listed in the install.xml and obtaining permission that way.

And btw, I read your request for a conversion on that topic, and the "author" (if that is him) never actually gave you permission.

Look again... Download the file and you will see that the person apears to be taking credit for everything in the post but if he is he forgot to change the install files so it shows himself as the mod developer and not Hawke as the mod developer. Looks like the person at that link is the guilty one of copy paste. Better check you facts before you say that someone is guilty of riping it off when in fact its the person in the link you posted that is the one riping it off. :D

Thats is a major copy past from WBB.

By the way, I do agree on the most users are great for that copy paste thing. Not just at warez sites (Just seems that way) but anywhere. :)

Quote from: Eliana Tamerin on July 09, 2008, 11:21:10 AM
I wouldn't dare underestimate the ability of some people to steal credit and claim as their own, even going so far to support it. It seems far fetched, but it's happened.

Anyways, yes, that would be the correct procedure. Besides, he never did reply to your post, so this way you'll be sure he sees your request.

Again, Hawke did not steal anything from anyone. He wrote this mod and with the help of a few others, Myself included.

Quote from: nightbre on July 09, 2008, 07:09:11 PM
See if you can find the mod anywhere else to check if theres updated details listed in a new version maybe

Yes there is an updated version. If you like I can post the link to download the file or the link the post on WBB. Just let me know. :D

Quote from: Old Lynx on July 09, 2008, 11:39:56 AM
Eliana in the install.xml it shows this ...

I try sending e-mails to that e-mail address but I keep getting a failure notification from hotmail, which suggests the e-mail address is either wrong or doesn't exist :(

That email is no good anymore and to respect him I will not be posting it. Sorry. :(

With all that said, Convert away!!! I wanna see it in action when your done if someone is willing to take on the task. :D

Old Lynx

awesome thanks Hippie459MN :)

Sorry about the e-mail friend :)

OK now that Mr. Hippie459MN had made it all CLEAR.....NOW can someone convert it to SMF ???? PLEASE !!

Thanks Guys

Eliana Tamerin

Thanks for the clarification, Hippie459MN. We can never be too careful here, people think up all kinds of nasty ways to get even if they think somebody has stolen their code. It's just easier to ensure that we have the right permissions first. And I apologize for my suspicion on the warez site, I hate to have to do that but it is unusual for something to be distributed on a warez site with full permissions and such.

Old Lynx, if somebody wants to convert it.

Download | Docs

Old Lynx

I've just updated my first post with the latest version of the script. the latest version where Mr Hippie459MN and others worked on improving the script.

So can someone PLEASE convert this for us !! PLEASE :(

Old Lynx

Lanthan

Quote from: Old Lynx on July 17, 2008, 12:40:15 PM
Someone Please help :(
Hi,
this mod is something I also need at my own SMF 1.1.5 forum.

I have downloaded the phpbb mod and looked into the code and its not easy to understand cause the structure of phpbb and SMF is slightly different 8).

But I will give it a try and look if I can convert it to an SMF mod.

Old Lynx

AWESOME

finally someone who is willing to help

Thank You Lanthan :)

Advertisement: