News:

Wondering if this will always be free?  See why free is better.

Main Menu

[SMF Converter] YaBB SE 1.5.4

Started by JayBachatero, January 08, 2007, 11:25:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

trilogi

Thanks again for your advise. Based on what you described I am beginning to understand what caused the conversion problem:

Basically the convert.php and the yabbse_to_smf.sql for the YaBBSE 1.5.x can only be converted to SMF version 1.1 and not to version 2.x because for some reason SMF decided to change the database field names such as "memberName" in version 1.1 to "member_name" in version 2.x and the converter could not handle the change.

I decided to install SMF version 1.1 and activated PHP version 5.4. I then use the convert.php and the yabbse_to_smf.sql in this link you provided:

https://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=140776.msg905770#msg905770

I did have to comment out a section of the convert.php that references 'SQL_MAX_JOIN_SIZE'   as described in this post: http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=528263.0 in order for the conversion to work.

In the end I managed to convert the YaBB SE 1.5.5 forum to SMF 1.1 using the above steps.  That is great! 

I next have to figure out how to upgrade SMF 1.1 to SMF 2.0 because SMF 1.1. would not run on PHP 7.0. I hope it won't give me as much problem.

Once again thanks for the great help. Good night.

vbgamer45

Glad you figured it out. Yes it was the case of SMF changing some variables adding a _ to make a space to the names. Going to SMF 2.0.x is easy though.
Community Suite for SMF - Take your forum to the next level built for SMF, Gallery,Store,Classifieds,Downloads,more!

SMFHacks.com -  Paid Modifications for SMF

Mods:
EzPortal - Portal System for SMF
SMF Gallery Pro
SMF Store SMF Classifieds Ad Seller Pro

trilogi

Just noticed that although all messages and members were posted correctly from YaBBSE 1.5.5 to SMF 1.1, all the attachments in the messages in YaBBSE posts were lost.

I tried to re-do the conversion again by re-installing the SMF 1.1 database and ensure that all attachment are allowed from admin. The conversion was completely successful but the attachment were still lost. The conversion message is shown below in brown.

I have used the attached convert.php and yabbse_to_smf.sql to do the conversion. I found that there was mention of the attachment conversions inside the yabbse_to_smf.sql file but there was still no attachment.

Is this expected or is there something else that need to be done to convert the attachment as well? Many of these attachments are quite valuable and since there are more than 8000 messages in the old forum it is not quite practical to manually restore them.

Thanks for any advise.

YaBB SE 1.5.x to SMF Converter
Converting...
Converting members... Successful.
Converting categories... Successful.
Converting boards... Successful.
Converting topics... Successful.
Converting posts (this may take some time)... Successful.
Converting polls... Successful.
Converting poll options... Successful.
Converting poll votes... Successful.
Converting personal messages (step 1)... Successful.
Converting personal messages (step 2)... Successful.
Converting topic notifications... Successful.
Recalculating forum statistics... Successful.
Conversion Complete
Congratulations, the conversion has completed successfully. If you have or had any problems with this converter, or need help using SMF, please feel free to look to us for support.
Please check this box to delete the converter right now for security reasons. (doesn't work on all servers.)

Now that everything is converted over, your SMF installation should have all the posts, boards, and members from the YaBB SE 1.5.x installation.

We hope you had a smooth transition!

vbgamer45

Do you see the attachments in your smf's attachments folder
Community Suite for SMF - Take your forum to the next level built for SMF, Gallery,Store,Classifieds,Downloads,more!

Mods:
SMF Gallery Pro

trilogi

No the only file in the SMF attachments folder is "index.php" and there is no other files.

I noticed that in YaBBSE the attachments are captured by the "attachmentFilename" field in the yabbse_messages table . But on SMF 1.1, the table  "smf_messages" there isn't such a field. How is an attachment info linked to a message in SMF 1.1?

vbgamer45

is your smf_attachments table filled with entries.

If so copy your attachments from yabbse to your smf attachments folder.

Mods:
SMF Gallery Pro

trilogi

No. Strangely  the smf_attachments table is completely empty. I have attached the screen shot.

Thanks.

trilogi

For some reason the screen shot was not attached in the last post. Here it is.

I tried to create a post in my new SMF 1.1 forum with an attachment and sure enough the entry showed up in the smf_attachments table with all the relevant fields. I then ran the convert.php again to re-do the conversion. After conversion the smt_attachments table again showed blank. So the conversion process wiped out the new post that I created with the attachment. I guess the convert.php somehow did not manage to convert the attachment in YaBBSE. 

vbgamer45

See if this attached file does anything...
I saw the conversion stopped at Converting topic notifications... Successful.
And didn't do any steps after from your log

It just does the steps after the first one

Mods:
SMF Gallery Pro

trilogi

Tried that and got the following errors:

Converting...
Converting attachments...
Warning: Unknown: It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected the timezone 'UTC' for now, but please set date.timezone to select your timezone. in /home/automa11/public_html/smf/convert.php(1109) : eval()'d code on line 13

Fatal error: Call to undefined function getAttachmentFilename() in /home/automa11/public_html/smf/convert.php(1109) : eval()'d code on line 13

Anyway we have decided to manually transfer the attachment info (attachmentFilenaame, attachmentSize, ID_MSG and and ID_MEMBER) from yabbse_massages table to the smf_attachments. Fortunately only several hundreds of the posts have attachment and it took a few hours of manual labor to do that. But now we got a converted SMF 1.1. forum that is more or less complete and will next try to convert from 1.1 to 2.0.

I wonder if the large upgrade installer posted at:  https://download.simplemachines.org/  is meant for upgrading from 1.1 to 2.0.15? Or is it meant for an upgrade from one version of 2.0.xx to 2.0.15?  Since the conversion from YaBBSE to SMF 1.1 was quite a struggle we are hoping not to encounter similar difficulties when upgrading from 1.1. to 2.0.15.

Thanks.

vbgamer45

yes it is meant to go from 1.1 to 2.0.x

Mods:
SMF Gallery Pro

trilogi

Thanks for the confirmation. We will work on it.

trilogi

We have upgraded from 1.1. to 2.0. We are glad to report that the upgrade proceeded smoothly without any hiccup. The upgraded SMF 2.0 has all the topics and posts.

However, the attachment issue came back up again. Although the posts show the attachment file name and file type but when I click on the attachment it returns a "404 - Attachment Not Found".  The same attachment was available when in SMF 1.1. I check that there are still lots of files in the public_html/smf/attachments folder but the forum is unable to locate it.

Comparing the smf_attachments table between 1.1 and 2.0 (see attached) show that aside from the column heading changes SMF 2.0 added more columns in the table. e.g. There was no fileext column in 1.1 but now there is in 2.0. There is no file_hash in those entries because it was manual input (when upgrading from YaBBSE to SMF 1.1). It did work in 1.1.

I tried to remove the extension from the file name itself (e.g. I renamed "numerical_code_tube1.png" in the "filename" column to "numerical_code_tube1" thinking that maybe SMF2.0 would append the file extension to the actual filename but that did not help either.

In the end I examined the files in the public_html/smf/attachments on the server and realized that a number of files that were in that folder were deleted by the SMF upgrader during the upgrade from 1.1 to 2.0.  The attachment that I clicked on happened to be the one that was deleted.

I then copied the original files from my yabbse/attachments folder to the smf/attachments and now the forum is able to serve up those files.

In other words for some reasons SMF upgrade.php decided that some of those files in the smf/attachments should be deleted during the upgrade. However there was no report of this actions and it is fortunate that we notice it during the testing.

Was that a know deliberate action by the upgrader or is that a bug?

Thanks.

trilogi

I just realized that the attachments only showed up when I logged in as the forum administrator. When I logged in as a regular user (even at the highest level as a moderator but is not Admin) the message board  still does not show the attachments.

[Edit] Just found out that this need to be enabled by Admin and set the permission to view the attachment.

Advertisement: