News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

Getting the Most Out of SMF - XML, RSS and RSS2 (and Atom and RDF) feeds

Started by Oldiesmann, January 20, 2005, 12:55:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

merc123

Thanks guys, really helped me out with integrating SMF into WordPress stuff!

s1r10n

Hi,

I need a feed only for a specific topic, not a board

This is working but gives me all posts:
hxxp:forums.example.com/index.php?action=.xml;type=atom;board=17;limit=20 [nonactive]

This is obviously not working:
hxxp:forums.example.com/index.php?action=.xml;type=atom;board=17;limit=20;topic=23 [nonactive]

I can't modify the board because it's not mine.

Is there a way to access only a specific topic with xml? if not it seems I need to write my own parser :/

Arantor

luuuciano

I need to NOT show news of certain boards... any idea about how to hack it to achieve it?

Something like the inverse of boards=x,y,z - display only the recent posts from the specified boards
the... notboards modifier :-D

Or, at least, hardcoding it on the News.php file...

Will continue reading and searching too...

NEWSSSS: On the #smf IRC channel emanuele pointed me to: http://custom.simplemachines.org/mods/index.php?mod=3186
Amazing! thanks a lot
No me agradan los foros que no te dejan borrar TU PROPIO usuario, como por ejemplo smfsimple.com.
E incluso te mandan emails no solicitados, de los cuales, quizá, no puedas escapar porque NO te dejan posibilidad a deshabilitarlos (a menos que NO te tengan en su lista negra).

NoobDeveloper

How do i get RSS feed based on certain FROM DATER and TO DATE ?

Arantor

Booboy

I hope that someone ca help me.
On my new site RSS displayed correctly, but when someone want to put my rss on their site - return error. Without any other explanation.
Exactly - when my friend want to put my rss on his wordpress site (on same domain) - return feed is not available. I was try with all parameters here mention (rss2, atom...) but nothing

Here is a  link: hxxp:plavusin-kutak.com/forum/index.php?action=.xml;type=rss [nonactive], I was also try on some online reader, and nothing :(

Arantor

You don't have any boards accessible to guests, so nothing in the RSS feed.

Booboy

Quote from: Arantor Beeblebrox the First on December 19, 2013, 10:40:50 AM
You don't have any boards accessible to guests, so nothing in the RSS feed.

Well, almost everything is open for guests... but still nothing is visible for rss reader(s)
Can you open this link in your browser?

http://plavusin-kutak.com/forum/index.php?action=.xml;type=rss

Arantor

NOW you have boards available to guests. Before I said that before, I did actually check your site to verify that was the case.

And now I see items in the RSS feed as there should be because you have 3 boards visible to guests with a total of 9 posts in 8 topics.

burtedwag

Richard03 asked this back in 2011 [http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=25009.msg3114285#msg3114285] and i probably missed any responses to it but i'll throw my body into the flames

is it possible to get an rss feed of recent posts from a specific user on a forum? i feel like i'm getting close trying combinations of the first post on this topic but ideally if head into a user's profile then click on "Show Posts" i get a string after index.php? that looks like this:

action=profile;area=showposts;u=8

the few [i-have-no-idea-what-im-doing] combinations i've tried either show a static feed of the profile page (with no posts):
type=rss;action=.xml;sa=profile;area=showposts;u=8

..or of the entire forum (which i assume is being parsed by recent posts associated from index.php):
type=rss;action=.xml;sa=profile;sa=recentposts;u=8

margarett

It *should* be possible to add an extra condition to the query that fetches the recent posts. But I just had a quick glance at that, not totally sure...

I don't think this works out of the box, though...
Se forem conduzir, não bebam. Se forem beber... CHAMEM-ME!!!! :D

QuoteOver 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

novii

I'd like to see how that change in the way of displaying RSS. I tried to find where it is set, but I did not find instructions nowhere.

I set a screen shot, what part of what I do I remove the display RSS. When on the websiteset it to showing me the last posts of the forum, the message is displayed above the part that I marked.

Is there some rss.php or setingsrss.php or a third file in which you can adjust to what it shows and what it is not shown in the presentation of recent posts on the forum.

[nofollow]

margarett

All of the content provided by action=.xml is generated in Sources/News.php
// Show an xml file representing recent information or a profile.
function ShowXmlFeed()
{

I'm not totally sure of what you meant, sorry...
What do you want to change?

QuoteOver 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

novii

Website where I want to show the last message from the forum was made, using Joomla. Below is a picture where I marked the part of the text that we do not want to be displayed.

In a previous post I just marked part of the text that bothers me more, but now I marked the complete text I want to remove from RSS

margarett

Can you please switch to English for a moment and attach another image?
It's just so that I understand clearly what is the text there...

novii

That is not a problem. The first text is the Forum Title "Zanimljiv forum - boravak u prirodi". That text is actually a link that takes you to the home page forum.

Below is a picture that shows how it looks the second part of the text when I switched to the English language. This is the part that is changed "Live information from ", and behind it is the only  reiterated forum title. I would like you to disable part of the code that is used to display the text "Live information from Zanimljiv forum - boravak u prirodi "

novii

After a lot of testing, I finally did it so I intalirao module on site, Simple RSS Feed Reader [nofollow]. For all who would like to appear on Joomla Websites RSS feed from SMF forum may suggest to use this module.

cbsarge

Forgive me if this has already been answered but, I'm trying to embed the generated feed in another page but, what get's displayed in the iframe I'm using is the raw xml. How does one go about getting it to display as user friendly web content? Below is the feed I'm using (messed with a bit so I can display it here)

Thank you!

https cbsargecom,ipage,com/forum/index,php?action=.xml;type=rss;limit=10

Arantor

Pretty much, one doesn't. RSS feeds are not designed to be consumed as 'nice' content, they're designed to be machine readable.

Doubly so if you're futzing around with iframes, since there's almost certainly at least half a dozen ways to do it better than what you're probably trying to do. What are you trying to do, anyway? (And please don't go into how you think you need to do it, trying to choose the tool before understanding the task is never recommended)

Advertisement: