Threaded view

Started by Tilla, August 13, 2008, 09:07:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thantos

Quote from: Clara Listensprechen on July 26, 2011, 11:56:02 AM
Quote from: Dannii on August 13, 2008, 09:44:18 PM
I actually find it very hard to use. I much prefer a flat forum with lots of quoting.
I'm posting in this thread not only because I've checked the Notification box and want a link to this thread, but also to comment on Danii's attitude which reflects the problem of "dealing with customers" that persists on being a difficulty here. This is the Bill Gates attitude, which states that Bill Gates knows what the customer wants better than the customer does.

The customer knows what the customer wants better than the coders do, and this will ALWAYS be the case. People who consider themselves professionals simply because they collect money for services are badly mistaken about what the word "professional" means.
Actually, I quite often find that my customers don't know what they really want.  They think they know what they want but quite often it isn't what they really want.  It is my job to figure out what they really want (and sometimes what they need instead of what they want).

Kindred

Good point, Thantos...   That too is part of my role as a business analyst (yes, yet another hat that I wear)
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

青山 素子

Quote from: Thantos on July 26, 2011, 05:27:00 PM
Actually, I quite often find that my customers don't know what they really want.  They think they know what they want but quite often it isn't what they really want.  It is my job to figure out what they really want (and sometimes what they need instead of what they want).

I have to agree with that. Often a customer will ask for a very specific thing, but it's not really what they want. What they want is a certain problem to be fixed, which they feel will be done by that thing. Usually, it's better to find the actual problem they want solved and determine the correct way to solve it. Sometimes it's what they asked for. Often, it's not.

Way Overblown Example to Illustrate the Point:

Customer: I want you to kill John Doe
Me: That's kinda not a good idea. What is the actual problem?
Customer: I don't want John Doe here.
Me: Well, I'll just tell him to leave and post a guard to keep him from coming back. That'll be cheaper and won't cause people to go to jail for murder.
Customer: Wow! That's exactly what I want and it saves me money!

Now, can we get back on topic, or let the topic sink back down into the depths?
Motoko-chan
Director, Simple Machines

Note: Unless otherwise stated, my posts are not representative of any official position or opinion of Simple Machines.

Clara Listensprechen

The topic is what me and my demographic want. As in multiple people. Anybody who thinks that a bunch of people is just me is off topic. Forums are for communities, not echo chambers.  Speaking of which....

For what crumbs of assistance I did get, thank you. The rest can sink back to the depths.  Kids, you can have your thread back.
I shall continue to be an impossible person so long as those who are now possible remain possible. {Michael Bakunin 1814-1876}

Thantos

Quote from: Clara Listensprechen on July 27, 2011, 08:03:07 PM
The topic is what me and my demographic want.
Which demographic is that?

Clara Listensprechen

Already posted that info in the other thread. I'm done with SMF, and that's final. [/discussion]
I shall continue to be an impossible person so long as those who are now possible remain possible. {Michael Bakunin 1814-1876}

Thantos

Good luck to you then.

Alpay

Advertisement: