News:

Wondering if this will always be free?  See why free is better.

Main Menu

Look But No Read

Started by Deprecated, August 17, 2008, 08:55:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Deprecated

Please, do not ignore warning messages in the future, unless it is a test forum and not a production forum and you know what you are doing. You can crash your SMF by doing ignoring warnings. That's why they are there.

Important: Never uninstall mod packages if you get warning messages. Just in case  you have done that too...

Download your current ModSettings.php and attach it to your next post.

SpeedQuest

Here is the Sources/Modsettings.php

Thanks again!

Deprecated

Quote from: SpeedQuest on October 13, 2008, 11:54:30 AM
Here is the Sources/Modsettings.php

Thanks again!

Here ya go! :)

It was some mod with the name 'meta' in it that was interfering.

Dirtbike

Very good mod thanks for the effort

SpeedQuest

Thanks again Deprecated.  I downloaded the new ModSettings.php and put it in the Sources Folder.

Now I get this error when trying to click on Features and Options:

Parse error: parse error, unexpected ']', expecting ')' in Sources\ModSettings.php on line 118

I will try to look at it with ConText in a minute.  Trying to do all this through a remote virtual server makes it interesting.

Deprecated

My mistake. That's what you get when you manually edit files, and why we prefer automatic installation.

Corrected file attached. Please send a PM to Amacythe requesting a full refund. Tell her I said it was okay. ;) ;) ;)

SpeedQuest

Thanks yet again.  It seems there might still be more however.  This time when clicking on the 'Features and Options' menu I get the following error:

Parse error: parse error, inexpected T_CONSTANT_ENCAPSED_STRING, expecting ')' in Sources\Modsettings.php on line 149

I hate to see you working this hard just for one server, but if this works we will be putting it onto multiple forums and then the PayPal donations will flow in your direction.  Thanks again!

Deprecated

Bribes!!! Bribes!!! I just love bribes! ;) Funny, I was just thinking this morning of getting a PayPal...

File attached. :)

SpeedQuest

Made it further this time, but still not quite...

Clicking on 'Features and Options' get these (2) messages:

Parse error: parse error, unexpected ']', expecting ')' in Sources\ModSetting.php on line 181

Fatal error: Call to undefined function: modifybasicsettings() in Sources\ModSettings.php on line 162

You need to get PayPal.  When this is done it's worth some $$ for you.  No bribe. Just truth.

Deprecated

Again attached.

Problem is that I would notice that in an instant if I uploaded it to my own site, but I have no way to do that because your other mods would probably crash my test site.

Let me know how it works out.

SpeedQuest

Awesome stuff Deprecated.  I totally understand not being able to test it.  I don't get impatient, especially when the software is inexpensive.  I will see what I can do to reward you for the time spent today.

Do you ever get to Orlando? LOL! ;)

Deprecated

But did it work? (Been to Miami once, boarding the Song of Norway cruise ship. I'm in L.A.)

romper

I had an error during instalation of the mod, to be precise:
Execute Modification     ./index.php     Test failed

But first time I pushed ok, just to see, because this sounds like the best package ever...and It looked fine, everything as in pictures, but it doesn't work? I have no problems with forum(no strange massages or error reports), but no matter what numbers of category oo board I put it shows catgory I allowed for the guests but doesn't stop them for reading, so it's like I don't use the mod at all!
I guess it's obvious why, error above, but can it be fixed, because this mod I soooooo want!!!
I'm using SMF 1.1.6 on Dilber MC!

Deprecated

O. M. F. G. ... ... ... ... [comment deleted]

Is there some place at SMF where I can tell everybody to NOT install mod packages when you get warning messages? That's like saying, "I wonder if this gun is loaded. Let me stick the barrel to my temple and pull the trigger and see if there is any loud noise."

A mod package isn't ever going to work properly if you get a warning message about one of the files. Even I don't install those packages that get the message when I'm testing them. That will never work!!! Never!!!

Most of the guts of the mod is in index.php. The rest is just to configure it. Ain't gonna work without index.php. Gahhhhhhhhh...............

Attach your index.php to your reply post. And promise you will never do that again. And also promise you won't ever delete a mod package before uninstalling it.

romper

Quote from: Deprecated on October 13, 2008, 07:53:25 PM
O. M. F. G. ... ... ... ... [comment deleted]

Is there some place at SMF where I can tell everybody to NOT install mod packages when you get warning messages? That's like saying, "I wonder if this gun is loaded. Let me stick the barrel to my temple and pull the trigger and see if there is any loud noise."

A mod package isn't ever going to work properly if you get a warning message about one of the files. Even I don't install those packages that get the message when I'm testing them. That will never work!!! Never!!!

Most of the guts of the mod is in index.php. The rest is just to configure it. Ain't gonna work without index.php. Gahhhhhhhhh...............

Attach your index.php to your reply post. And promise you will never do that again. And also promise you won't ever delete a mod package before uninstalling it.

Well I uninstalled it at least O:)....I promise to the rest...here is the index file...THX!

Deprecated

Please PM me in 12 hours from present time if I haven't replied yet. I'm eating dinner and probably a bit too tired to work on complicated problems. Peace!

SpeedQuest

Now you are starting to get entertaining Deprecated!

Yes, it works.  So many thanks!  I will go to bat tomorrow for some reward  $$.  Get a PayPal account set up!

Deprecated

It's working? Really? Gawd I was willing to give up but you kept posting. ;)

I didn't write my mods for any other reason except for people to like them, although my wanting them for my sites was another factor in motivating me to write them.

You guys are important to me. An author is nothing if nobody wants to read his books.

Please confirm that you are fixed up. It will be a relief.

Deprecated

Quote from: romper on October 13, 2008, 09:51:46 PM
Quote from: Deprecated on October 13, 2008, 07:53:25 PM

Well I uninstalled it at least O:) ....I promise to the rest...here is the index file...THX!

Romper, how did you uninstall that mod package and ignore the warning that index.php was giving? Don't ignore warning messages in the future. Post here at SMF and get somebody to verify you are doing the right thing before you blow through the red light and cause a crash. And the crash is gonna be your forum! :)

Okay I researched your problem and it turns out that your arcade mod is improperly written. It merged my target line with another line and the package installer couldn't locate my target.

I've fixed the damage that your arcade caused and you should be able to install my mod package with no errors now. I've attached your file below. Come on back and let me know how it went. And don't continue if my mod gives you warnings. Come back and we'll iron it out before you continue. :)

romper

Works great!!!!
Amaizing stuff this mod!!!!
Just what I needed!
THX!

Advertisement: