News:

SMF 2.1.4 has been released! Take it for a spin! Read more.

Main Menu

Merge vBulletin with SMF?

Started by JmZ, August 07, 2008, 03:06:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JmZ

Hey there,

I currently have an SMF forum setup (highly customised and modified) and have a vBulletin database which I would like to use.

Is it possible to convert the vBulletin database into SMF but NOT clear the database or create a whole new set of tables.

So basically, I want to do this:
vBulletin users -> SMF members table (dont need avatars, or whatever else can't be converted easily)

...and I would LIKE to do this:
vBulletin topics/posts -> SMF topics/posts

Without affecting any already-existant data

I checked the vBulletin converter code but it actually clears the tables before the data is converted so the data I currently have would be lost.

SleePy

There is no official way to merge SMF forums currently. Its in my todo, but I keep getting other things todo :P
There has been people who did this and posted suggestions.
Jeremy D ~ Site Team / SMF Developer ~ GitHub Profile ~ Join us on IRC @ Libera.chat/#smf ~ Support the SMF Support team!

JmZ

Well could you give me any tips on how to do it?

I am experienced in PHP & SQL so can easily understand any code suggestions and such.

I may just pay someone to do it if it's too much of a job as I am short of time.

ThorstenE

yould should first convert your vBulletin to a fresh, blank SMF.. after successful conversion you can follow this guide and merge your SMFs
http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=188524.msg1411079#msg1411079

JmZ

Gary

BTW - If you want to merge a vBulletin and an SMF Forum. Convert the SMF forum to vBulletin using it's ImPex system, then sort out the data, merge accounts etc... and then convert the whole thing to SMF.

But we can do with a merge tool, I agree. ;)
Gary M. Gadsdon
Do NOT PM me unless I say so
War of the Simpsons
Bongo Comics Fan Forum
Youtube Let's Plays

^ YT is changing monetisation policy, help reach 1000 sub threshold.

christicehurst

I've been hearing a merge tool is coming for like three years.
www.brisbanelionsunited.com - A forum for everyone!

JmZ

heh well im still unsure if to try merge them or not
i mean, it would be great if i could, but theres too many possible problems and possible "hiccups".

ThorstenE

never play with your live-systems without making backups ;) .. i would make a local copy (on XAMPP for example) and try it than, if test is ok you can do it on the live-system..

JmZ

yes i know that but i can still get problems with an offline copy (such as db problems, data entry failing, etc)

Rumbaar

Well another good way to play is to setup a type of WAMP server on your local computer.  Then you can play with the data easily until you get it right and perform various test merges.  All in the safe knowledge you are not wasting time and bandwidth on your host and not able to mess anything up with live data.
"An important reward for a job well done is a personal sense of worthwhile achievement."

[ Themes ]

Advertisement: