News:

SMF 2.1.4 has been released! Take it for a spin! Read more.

Main Menu

Package Manager: "Your session timed out while posting."

Started by AJ32, September 09, 2008, 08:48:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AJ32

I was installing some modifications on my SMF 2 Beta 4 site the other day, then for seemingly no reason, when I clicked the "install now!" button (after viewing the tests when installing a package), I got this "An Error Has Occurred!  Your session timed out while posting.  Please go back and try again.". The same thing happens when I am un-installing packages. I have not been able to find this on any other section of the admin center or forum, just when I am actually installing a package. Here's the packages I have installed:

1.     Social Bookmarks for SMF 2      1.1       [ Uninstall ]  [ List Files ]  [ Delete ]
2.    Advanced AJAX Shoutbox    1.16    [ Uninstall ] [ List Files ] [ Delete ]
3.    Apache Error Handler    1.0    [ Apply Mod ] [ List Files ] [ Delete ]
4.    Attachments In Message    1.1.5    [ Uninstall ] [ List Files ] [ Delete ]
5.    Hide SMF Version    1.0.3    [ Uninstall ] [ List Files ] [ Delete ]
6.    Highlight Search Keywords    1.2    [ Uninstall ] [ List Files ] [ Delete ]
7.    vBulletin Style Meta Tags    1.1    [ Uninstall ] [ List Files ] [ Delete ]
8.    Redirect_Moved_Topics    1.0    [ Apply Mod ] [ List Files ] [ Delete ]
9.    nneonneo's AJAX ShoutBox    1.16    [ Uninstall ] [ List Files ] [ Delete ]
10.    Single Category    1.0    [ List Files ] [ Delete ]
11.    Stars And Badges    2.0    [ Uninstall ] [ List Files ] [ Delete ]
12.    Sticky First Post (extends sticky topic)    1.3.2    [ List Files ] [ Delete ]
13.    Super Admin    1.0    [ Uninstall ] [ List Files ] [ Delete ]
14.    The Rules    1.03    [ Uninstall ] [ List Files ] [ Delete ]
15.    Users Online Today    1.5.3    [ List Files ] [ Delete ]
16.    Grouped Who's Online    1.0    [ Uninstall ] [ List Files ] [ Delete ]
17.    Wysiwyg Quick Reply

And I cannot remove or install any of these through the package manager, because of the error!  >:(

Any help is greatly appreciated!
Thanks!

PS: I have cleared my browser cache, and tried other browsers with no success...

Deprecated

As the author of two of your mods I'm monitoring this thread. I will speak up if I have anything to add.

It might be helpful for you to describe when you first noticed this and what was the last thing you did?

Also, please post the page that lists "installed packages." That page lists them as most recently installed first, and that may be a clue. (I hope #1 isn't MY package! ;))

AJ32

I can't remember what the last thing I did before it happened...  O:)

But the Advanced AJAX Shoutbox was the last one I installed.

1.    Advanced AJAX Shoutbox     1.16     [ Uninstall ]
2.    Hide SMF Version    1.0.3    [ Uninstall ]
3.    Attachments In Message    1.1.5    [ Uninstall ]
4.    Grouped Who's Online    1.0    [ Uninstall ]
5.    Single Category    1.0    [ Uninstall ]
6.    Wysiwyg Quick Reply    1.1    [ Uninstall ]
7.    The Rules    1.03    [ Uninstall ]
8.    vBulletin Style Meta Tags    1.1    [ Uninstall ]
9.    Stars And Badges    2.0    [ Uninstall ]
10.    Highlight Search Keywords    1.2    [ Uninstall ]
11.    Social Bookmarks for SMF 2    1.1    [ Uninstall ]
12.    Super Admin    1.0    [ Uninstall ]

However, I installed, uninstalled, and re-installed that mod about 2 or so times (because of an error with the javascript in SMF 2 B4) With no problem.

The only odd thing I can remember is that When I install the "Advanced AJAX Shoutbox" it also marks "nneonneo's AJAX ShoutBox" as installed on the main page, but not on the "installed" page (because, I'm guessing, they have the same ID).

Thanks  :)

Deprecated

No, they should be the same list but only in different order. My page lists last installed first. That's the way you should uninstall them, most recent first, oldest last.

I'm monitoring. I have no idea at present.

AJ32

Ok, after doing some research and thinking about it...

The code where it is checking the session is below:

function PackageInstall()
{
global $boarddir, $txt, $context, $boardurl, $scripturl, $sourcedir, $modSettings;
global $user_info, $smcFunc;

// Make sure we don't install this mod twice.
checkSubmitOnce('check');
checkSession();

If I comment out [checkSession();], it works (but this leaves a security hole, correct?).

Also, the last package I UNINSTALLED was the "Apache Error Handler" <- Everything worked before installing that, when I installed it, all my members got knocked off the forums and (when I checked the error log), they all got mysterious 404 errors for seemingly no reason. Thus I uninstalled it. (and that was the last thing I did before receiving the package manager error)

Thanks.

Deprecated

Yes, I believe that would leave a security hole.

It would be interesting to know what the 404 was. It would be interesting to see your .htaccess both before and after the uninstall. In many or most cases your .htaccess file can be deleted or renamed to deactivate it.

Also, that mod has a manual uninstall for the .htaccess, see the readme.txt file.

If you want help manually uninstalling that mod, post in the mod support thread.

Finally, any mod install or uninstall can go bad. Doing either is never a 100% sure thing. "Stuff" happens. The process is sort of like doing brain surgery on yourself. Good luck!

AJ32

After checking the .htaccess from an old backup, and checking the current one, I have found that they are showing the same thing.

ErrorDocument 404 /404err.php

After looking through the installation XML file, I have ensured that all correct code is back in place, and the edit to the index.php file is removed.

The odd thing is, it's only effecting my package manager, I can't produce this error on any other page/action. Otherwise, I would have to guess it would be a php.ini configuration problem. :-\

Edit: This is the error in the log:
Quote*.*.*.*     A session had already been started - ignoring session_start()
?action=error;code=404    September 08, 2008, 07:09:20 pm

Deprecated

Actually you pointed out a shortcoming in my mod. It can't take into account if you had existing error pages in your .htaccess. That's probably why you had your problem. I'll include a warning message in my next release. There is no way a dumb script could take account of all possible existing .htaccess variations. They are infinite.

Advertisement: