Recent Topics On "Recent Posts" Page

Started by Nathaniel, September 22, 2008, 07:20:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jack208

Quote from: GigaWatt on July 19, 2018, 02:11:44 PM
Could you post a screen shot of what seems to be bothering you about the mod? Maybe a before and after one as well and how you'd like it to reflect on the theme ;) .
Thanks for the reply. Just posted the screen shot. Here's another screen shot - with the Recent Topics on BoardIndex switched off so you are seeing the STUDIO them as-is. It's almost perfect for what we need except I wish we can show list of recent topics on the right nav-bar rather than posts.

GigaWatt

Quote from: jack208 on July 19, 2018, 05:20:39 PM
...(beside the point that it switches from Posts to Topics).

Actually, that was exactly what I was looking for, so Pipke's mod was exactly what I wanted ;).

Quote from: jack208 on July 19, 2018, 05:20:39 PM
The only issue I've now is that it's showing posts (it's default behavior) instead of topics. Hence my search for mod like this from Nathaniel that supposedly switch from posts to topics for the default Recent Posts block.

I haven't actually seen the code for this mod, but I think it might only work with Cruve or Cruve variants (it edits the theme files) and since Studio is very different from Curve, It probably uses it's own code to show the recent posts and thus, the mod can't be applied :S.

Or, you could try uninstalling the mod, then reinstalling it and see if it offers to patch files in Studio. If it does, see if it passes the tests, if it does, install it and see if it works as planned ;).

Quote from: jack208 on July 19, 2018, 05:46:58 PM
Thanks for the reply. Just posted the screen shot. Here's another screen shot - with the Recent Topics on BoardIndex switched off so you are seeing the STUDIO them as-is. It's almost perfect for what we need except I wish we can show list of recent topics on the right nav-bar rather than posts.

Try what I've suggested in the previous paragraph, if it works, great :), if there are errors, don't install it, I'll see if I have time to take a look at the code and see if we could patch Studio manually to show recent topics instead of recent posts ;).
"This is really a generic concept about human thinking - when faced with large tasks we're naturally inclined to try to break them down into a bunch of smaller tasks that together make up the whole."

"A 500 error loosely translates to the webserver saying, "WTF?"..."

jack208

Quote from: GigaWatt on July 19, 2018, 06:19:14 PM
I haven't actually seen the code for this mod, but I think it might only work with Cruve or Cruve variants (it edits the theme files) and since Studio is very different from Curve, It probably uses it's own code to show the recent posts and thus, the mod can't be applied :S.

Or, you could try uninstalling the mod, then reinstalling it and see if it offers to patch files in Studio. If it does, see if it passes the tests, if it does, install it and see if it works as planned ;) .

Try what I've suggested in the previous paragraph, if it works, great :) , if there are errors, don't install it, I'll see if I have time to take a look at the code and see if we could patch Studio manually to show recent topics instead of recent posts ;) .
Oh.. I forgot to mention I've another test member who's set to use the Default Curve theme (as a test/validation) and that user is still seeing recent posts in the default Recent Posts block (which is at the bottom of the page). So it does appear STUDIO is just leveraging on the same block but re-position it to the right nav-bar. I might be wrong though without actually reading the codes.

GigaWatt

As I said, you could try uninstalling the mod and try installing it again, but this time, if the mod asks to also patch files from the Studio theme, tick the boxes that apply to the Studio theme, check if there are any failed tests, if not, proceed with the reinstall and see if it works ;).
"This is really a generic concept about human thinking - when faced with large tasks we're naturally inclined to try to break them down into a bunch of smaller tasks that together make up the whole."

jack208

Quote from: GigaWatt on July 19, 2018, 07:58:08 PM
As I said, you could try uninstalling the mod and try installing it again, but this time, if the mod asks to also patch files from the Studio theme, tick the boxes that apply to the Studio theme, check if there are any failed tests, if not, proceed with the reinstall and see if it works ;) .
Yup, had done that earlier when I installed the mod for the 1st time. And in fact, just repeated the steps (uninstall and re-install) again since I was installing the Recent Topic BoardIndex mod for a testrun earlier. Same results ie still showing posts.

The test on STUDIO was marked successful... here's the Install List attached.
I haven't reach out to Gecitli (Studio dev) on this yet becoz the mod is actually not working even on the Default Curve theme so I suspect the issue is not so much STUDIO but rather whether the mod works on ver 2.0.15 (in theory it should).

GigaWatt

Quote from: jack208 on July 19, 2018, 08:38:16 PM
I haven't reach out to Gecitli (Studio dev) on this yet becoz the mod is actually not working even on the Default Curve theme so I suspect the issue is not so much STUDIO but rather whether the mod works on ver 2.0.15 (in theory it should).

I forgot to ask that and that seems to answer the question. If it's not working in Curve, it probably won't work in any other theme :S.

I could probably have a look and see if I can get the mod working, since the author hasn't logged in since 2014, but I can't promise anything :S.

jack208

Quote from: GigaWatt on July 20, 2018, 10:50:16 AM
I could probably have a look and see if I can get the mod working, since the author hasn't logged in since 2014, but I can't promise anything :S.
No worry, I understand perfectly - since these are free mods and all help are given voluntarily. I do thank you in advance first. :P

Advertisement: