Previous topic - Next topic

homeslice

You all remember that old Dos Operating System with the low graphics
is it possible to make a theme looking like that with lists and all
simular to Bloc's Simplicity Theme but a Dos look-a-like

http://battle.ne1.net

Wordabuse Hip-Hop Forums!

@niqen

honestly i think that making a simple theme is lot more work than putting just graphics in theme.
the Simplicity Theme Bloc did is awsome. and i think the most WORKED one. i rate it best in all.
making a new one like that will be a tough job. so u should ask bloc and out do some css modifications in it. i think that will do it.

Burpee

I know Opera uses a stylesheet that will emulate a text browser. I'm not sure of how it works but I'll attach the stylesheet provided along with Opera anyway.

xenovanis

lol

Also a big fan of dos, I started working on a dos/gwbasic theme yesterday.. May takesome time though, since this is my first complete theme I'll create. As soon as I've setup a previewsite I'll let you know.
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results."

duddits

Quote from: xenovanis on January 31, 2005, 06:17:29 AM
lol

Also a big fan of dos, I started working on a dos/gwbasic theme yesterday.. May takesome time though, since this is my first complete theme I'll create. As soon as I've setup a previewsite I'll let you know.

me to, Im looking fowar to see yours

bloc

Quote from: @niqen on January 31, 2005, 03:55:20 AM
honestly i think that making a simple theme is lot more work than putting just graphics in theme.
the Simplicity Theme Bloc did is awsome. and i think the most WORKED one. i rate it best in all.
making a new one like that will be a tough job. so u should ask bloc and out do some css modifications in it. i think that will do it.

Thank you , @niqen. ;)

I have plans for some other themes already, but it sounds like an interesting idea. Looking forward to seeing it , xenovanis.

xenovanis

Preview

progress:

changed fonts, colors and some images

Any comments or suggestions are welcome!
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results."

Burpee

It looks more like a matrix theme than a DOS theme to be honest. For me, DOS means Fixedsys/System fonts, preformatted, nothing but text (so no table borders or slightly recoloured backgrounds). Ofcourse that's just my view, but I wouldn't be surprised of others have the same view.

I like the way you gave the on.gif the <dir> text in it though :D ... fits the theme

I just made a little preview of how I would personally think of a DOS theme using Opera's "Emulate text browser" stylesheet on Bloc's Simplicity theme:

AGMR_Rhino

IVE BEEN LOOKIN FOR SOME THING LIKR THAT COOL!! :D

bloc

Wow..that really was some change! ;D

It really reminds one of a DOS screen, Burpee.

Xenovanis, the theme looks good..but I have to agreed with Burpee, its more matrix-like really. But thats not a bad thing either. ;)

xenovanis

Hey, I just started...  ;) I'm always strugling with tables, so give me some credit.... It takes some time, but I'm learning..  :) Anyway, don't expect it to be finished tonight, but I really appreciate your comments. That's why I set up this preview. Keeps me going.

@Burbee, cool image! Really brings back the dos-feeling, I must say I almost forgot about the * and ----.

Meriadoc

why is it bright green?
If I know the way home and am walking along it drunkenly, is it any less the right way because I am staggering from side to side? : Leo Tolstoy
Everything I know I learned from Calvin and Hobbes.
And patience is about the most useful thing you could ever have.  That and backups. : [Unknown]
If I choose to send thee, Tuor son of Huor, then believe not that thy one sword is not worth the sending. : Ulmo, Lord of the Waters - Unfinished Tales, by J.R.R. Tolkien

xenovanis

Well, white is boring, I don't like orange and for me green on black is dos.

homeslice

I like the green, you should make different color ones, like pink, white, yellow, red, purple, etc... with a color selector (use weird colors so people can pick what they like) - I think blue background with Yellow text would look cool

For the search bar instead of a empty box it should be a blinking   |    like how DOS was so u can type and the    |     moves, if you know what I mean

Im glad you all made this happen great job

homeslice

Burpee I would like it if u made that theme possible it looks great, and xeno keep working on yours it needs some more work it looks too much like a default theme

Burpee

I'm not making the theme, homeslice. I've got plenty of paid work ahead of me and doing something like this is extremely low on my priority list.

homeslice

Ok Burpee... thanks for nothing :)

bloc

A bit unfair on Burpee part, homeslice. He was just showing how Opera can show Simplicity with an alternate color-set. If anyone should make that particular theme, it would technically be me - since I made it in the first place. And my plans don't include this right now.

I noticed that you have requested a lot of different things, and different themes lately. That is fine by itself, but you can't expect people to jump in and do this and do that, when many of these things take time. And a lot of us here, if not all, do it for free, on our own time and will - and certainly don't want to be told what to do all the time.

Suggestions are fine, but impatience will not make anything happen.

xenovanis

Thanks Bloc, for your wise words. I hope that my attempts to create this theme inspired by Burpee's image isn't offending you in anyway. If it is please say so, I will stop immediately.

bloc

No, by all means! ;D Just continue , and think no more of it....

PS:
I just visited your test-forum and it looks really great already! Adjusting it to the pic/stylesheet Burpee posted really made a difference , and a good one too.  8)

Advertisement: