Banning a user with a blocked IP address?

Started by DEK24, October 03, 2008, 10:45:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DEK24

I have a user who is continuing to come back under false identities on my forum. I'm assuming he is blocking his IP because I've banned his email, IP, server or anything that I know it will allow me to block is there a way to prevent him from blocking his IP or changing it.

I've blocked him about 10 different times and at first I thought he was going to new computers.

Please Help he is ruining my community.

Deprecated

There is no way for a person to "block their IP address." Your problem member is probably using a proxy server. It is quite possible that your problem can use a proxy to change his IP address, and change everything else related to the member application.

It's quite possible that it's impossible to keep your problem person from registering accounts.

Crasy

Consider 'reasoning' with him.

By that I mean you should contact him and let him know that you will be getting in contact with his ISP. Maybe he'll back off with just this information.
If you actually do have his original IP, follow through with this.

Don't beg for him to leave. Don't let him know he's annoying you, or that he's winning. Be in control.

You need to become an annoyance for him too.
Ban hostmasks.
Ban e-mails.
Ban IP's.
Ban usernames. Let him get nowhere.
Ensure that people have to activate their accounts via e-mail.

If you must, step it up a notch.
Turn on Admin Approval being required for registration.

You need to become a target worth not pursuing.
When he goes away...you should seriously consider unbanning most of the IP's and hostmasks you banned earlier. No use letting many other people get caught in the flak from this.

PacificWx

I have had a similar problem - a known spammer and trouble make kept on rejoining trying to harvest more members for his forum (that he evantually sells) - I have admin approval and his original IP - so I made a 403 error for him in the cpanel.

It burns him like a 1000 suns that we dont mention him at all and that he can not get back in

Deprecated

If you want to ban somebody you need something constant to identify them with. Hopefully it could be an IP address but some people have addresses that vary, some even that vary widely, and there's always proxies that they use to artificially change their IP addresses.

Whether you use IP ban or cPanel ban or .htaccess ban, you need something to mark them with or you can't keep them out. Then you must rely on psychology and maybe legal remedies.

Crasy

Quote from: PacificWx on October 03, 2008, 11:18:00 PM
I have had a similar problem - a known spammer and trouble make kept on rejoining trying to harvest more members for his forum (that he evantually sells) - I have admin approval and his original IP - so I made a 403 error for him in the cpanel.

It burns him like a 1000 suns that we dont mention him at all and that he can not get back in

Exactly, exactly.

All part of the
"Make him feel so annoyed that he doesn't feel like continuing"
plan.

If he wanders around that by using a proxy, move onto further methods.

Sometimes though...you just have to be persistent.

PacificWx

oh yes, with admin approval - we check new registrants - if it is him again - we just quietly reject him - have done so about a dozen times. It takes hoim more effort to rejoin than us to reject

internetbrother

How can I remove all the posts made by spammer?
I have vbulletin and phpbb it is easy to do so with them
but smf I can not find it
Please help I have so many spams

DEK24

Quote from: PacificWx on October 04, 2008, 05:54:49 AM
oh yes, with admin approval - we check new registrants - if it is him again - we just quietly reject him - have done so about a dozen times. It takes hoim more effort to rejoin than us to reject

how can you tell its him? I think its him sometimes but I'm paranoid to ban an actual new user

2sanstef

If I ban the registered using using their IP and host will the banned user still be able to access the forum as a guest?

Deprecated

They can change their IP address (and host) using a proxy server.

Crasy

Quote from: internetbrother on October 04, 2008, 08:27:10 AM
How can I remove all the posts made by spammer?
I have vbulletin and phpbb it is easy to do so with them
but smf I can not find it
Please help I have so many spams

Delete the user. Once you click "Delete this account" You will have the option to delete all of their posts, do so. Take your time doing this, you only have one good shot. Make sure the drop down says "All Posts and Topics"

You can also wander over to their account and view all of their posts.
Easy moderation when it's all on one page there.

PacificWx

I do a bit background research - this turkey who tries to re-enter kind of makes it obvious for us to pick him

Advertisement: