News:

Wondering if this will always be free?  See why free is better.

Main Menu

Yabb 2.5.2

Started by nocrouter, February 18, 2014, 10:47:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nocrouter

Hello
I have run a YABB forum for the last 10 years or so and it now looks like YABB is no more? Is this true and if so can I convert my 2.5.2 forum to SMF

Many thanks nocrouter

Balaban

margarett

Holy shizzle ;D That's ancient :P

You should really upgrade. It's incredible how you didn't get hacked... But yes, YABB is long gone...

There are converters from Yabb and Yabbse, depending on which you're really using
http://download.simplemachines.org/?converters;software=yabb
http://download.simplemachines.org/?converters;software=yabbse

Be sure to read this:
Converting to SMF

edit: ninja'd :P
Se forem conduzir, não bebam. Se forem beber... CHAMEM-ME!!!! :D

QuoteOver 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

Suki

Well, we need to make sure which script are you using:

YaBB!  is a perl based script that was still been developed as far as I can see (last year), although I cannot enter their site.

YaBB SE is indeed a pretty old SMF predecessor that is no longer supported.
Disclaimer: unless otherwise stated, all my posts are personal and does not represent any views or opinions held by Simple Machines.

nocrouter

Thanks for the replys I will have a read

margarett

* margarett slaps himself ;D

If the version in the subject is correct, then Suki is right, that is YaBB and this release is from 2012. I thought this was about YaBB SE, our predecessor :)

QuoteOver 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

RChadwick

I'm in the same boat as the OP. I have a YABB 2.5.2 forum I last upgraded a few years ago. I'm sick of needing PERL, and it's time to go. Problem is, the converters don't work. The two I tried were :

smf_2-0_yabb2_converter.zip
smf_2-0_yabb_converter.zip

The only one that almost worked was the second one. When I run it, it hangs at:
Converting membergroups...Field 'description' doesn't have a default value

The other file, smf_2-0_yabb2_converter.zip, doesn't recognize the YABB directory.

Is this the right converter file for YABB 2.5.2? Is there another one? Is there a way to get past the error?

Thanks for your help!

margarett

I'm not really sure, I'd need to take a closer look at that and I've never really seen that converter before, neither the original forums software...

In any case, the second one is really more likely to work. Can you send me by pm a database dump so that I can have a look?

RChadwick

Thanks for the response. A MySQL dump might be a problem. I believe I used a 'Flat File' database with YABB (Made sense 10 years ago when I was afraid of databases).

margarett

I got my hands full of converters these days :P

Do you know the file extension in use?

Herman's Mixen

well yabb is still around these days...

http://www.yabbforum.com/cgi-bin/community/YaBB.pl

they have information about converters there, so there is an solution to do something in reverse order to get yabb to smf
they have some universal converter wich can convert from lot of software to yabb needs a bit sorted out for smf only ;)
to do the reverse order...

MySQL will be added as addition in 3.0+
so they are flat file till 2.6+
Met vriendelijke groet, The Burglar!

House Mixes | Mixcloud | Any Intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent.
It takes a touch of genius - and a lot of courage - to move in the opposite direction. - Albert Einstein

Former Godfather of our dutch community ;)

Westwegoman

I followed the instructions in this post.
http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=457735.0

Although I was converting a YaBB 2.5AE board. I'm attaching the converter that I used as I was unable to find it here.

You may be able to convert 2.5.2 with this but I'm not certain. I had actually downgraded my YaBB forum to 2.4 before conversion.

This was used to convert to SMF 1.1.14. I then upgraded SMF to I think at the time was 2.0 and didn't really have any problems except for maybe attachments.

Good luck. Hope it works out for you.

RChadwick

Thanks! You might have just saved me hours of work.

Can you tell me if the forum you converted had a flat file?

Westwegoman

Yes. As far as I know, all YaBB boards are flat file with the exception of YaBB 3.0 which was a beta that never really got off the ground.

Advertisement: