hacked: www.madphilosophers.com / need help

Started by willem-sp, October 04, 2008, 12:49:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

itchaba

I could use an unban as well. That hacker banned me when I made a few posts to the rest of madphilosophers that willem was a podperson. :P

willem-sp

Quote from: itchaba on October 09, 2008, 05:06:46 PM
I could use an unban as well. That hacker banned me when I made a few posts to the rest of madphilosophers that willem was a podperson. :P

Cheers itchiba ! ;D

henry quirk

i too could use a good 'un-ban' about now...

and itch: i think i was the one who called the hack-ass 'pod person' first

credit where credit is due... ;)   --henry

willem-sp

Quote from: henry quirk on October 09, 2008, 05:19:10 PM
i too could use a good 'un-ban' about now...

and itch: i think i was the one who called the hack-ass 'pod person' first

credit where credit is due... ;)   --henry

apparently you were the one who managed to reach pam, too, henry. :)

Well done. Thank you. :)

henry quirk

HA!

as i told fiat a long time ago: i don't like bullies...

itchaba

Sorry Quirk. ^.^

Good to see names I recognize!

Adish - (F.L.A.M.E.R)

This is becomming a chatting threat now lol. Good work peeps, I really appritiate your work here!

:)

henry quirk

no problem itch   :D

and: yes, it is nice to 'see' a friendly trio of faces

as i mentioned to willem in one place or another: patience -- insofar as getting back in to mpg -- seems to be the theme of the day

as pam or simple machines is able: i'm sure the doors will be opened and the roses cast down at our returning feet...

HA!

yeah...right...

willem-sp

Quote from: henry quirk on October 09, 2008, 05:28:41 PM
no problem itch   :D

and: yes, it is nice to 'see' a friendly trio of faces

as i mentioned to willem in one place or another: patience -- insofar as getting back in to mpg -- seems to be the theme of the day

as pam or simple machines is able: i'm sure the doors will be opened and the roses cast down at our returning feet...

HA!

yeah...right...

I'm communicating with mpg people on 5 different forums atm. :o

青山 素子

Quote from: Deprecated on October 09, 2008, 03:14:16 PM
All I can say is the IP address used in the willem account was in Ontario, CA.

I hope you mean Ontario, Canada and not Ontario, California. :)

By the way, if you are concerned that a user's password was compromised, it might be worthwhile to force a password change on everyone.
Motoko-chan
Director, Simple Machines

Note: Unless otherwise stated, my posts are not representative of any official position or opinion of Simple Machines.

henry quirk

when i get back in: the first thing i'm gonna do (aside from kicking at starjade, sticking my tongue at the cog, and mooning boyinchair) is compile a list of e-addresses of active posters (those that haven't hidden them)

if and when this kinda crap happens again: i will raise the clarion call in a much cleaner and effective way

and: sure as hell, i'm gonna make sure willem, ethinker, and poltics mod have pam's working e-address...

and: moto, a forced password change is a fine idea

opps! time to go! my nephew is a'waiting! hope to see you back 'in'...

Deprecated

I may go ahead and do the forced password thing as soon as I'm sure that a few staff members have established order.

I'm pretty sure I've got the right willem account and I've unbanned him. I'm going to monitor the situation until I'm certain that the right people are in charge. Only Pam and I have admin accounts, so even moderators could do only limited damage, and I have a fresh backup of their database right here if there is any need for it.

Actually that database might be a good forensic tool. I can mount it on one of my own database servers and either phpMyAdmin into it or even hook it up to an SMF for a live simulation. :)

The rest of you MPG members who are banned, just be patient. As soon as Pam can sort out who the real people are we can get going removing the bans.

Actually I did a fair amount of investigation before unbanning willem, and I might be able to determine by the same process a few more mod accounts and get them unbanned too.

It's about early evening Pam's time so I'll hope she is home from work or whatever her daytime activity is and perhaps she'll be available to take charge.

Don't worry you guys. You'll be unbanned by tomorrow morning at the latest. BTW I've already lifted the PM restrictions.

TheDisturbedOne

Wow.  it looks like there has been a hell of a lot of progress on this today!

Deprecated

Yeah, it's pretty much a done deal. Actually, as far as I can determine all the members now have their access back, they can send PMs and post without restrictions, all the hacker's bans have been lifted.

It's pretty nice to see the check mark "solved" on the top of this topic, eh? :D

I spent most of my day on it, and still doing a bit of a forensic investigation even now, but it was really worth it to see that scum hacker kicked out and the rightful owner and staff restored. cPanel and phpMyAdmin are wonderful things, eh? :)

Hey hacker, this one is for you: :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P

TheDisturbedOne

was the hacked thee guy who was helping out here?  And how did you get cPanel access (sorry, I really don't have time to read 4 or so pages, I have two papers due tomorrow)

Deprecated

1.) It's not possible to say for sure who the hacker was, and in the end we may be left with only his IP address.

2.) I'd hate to spoil the excitement for you, so I'll let you come back Friday night or Saturday and enjoy the whole story.

Besides, this isn't Reader's Digest. :P ;)

Fustrate

Quote from: Deprecated on October 09, 2008, 07:35:11 PM
1.) It's not possible to say for sure who the hacker was, and in the end we may be left with only his IP address.

2.) I'd hate to spoil the excitement for you, so I'll let you come back Friday night or Saturday and enjoy the whole story.

Besides, this isn't Reader's Digest. :P ;)
I like RD :) and congrats on your handling of the situation
Steven Hoffman
Former Team Member, 2009-2012

DirtRider

Congratulation to you all and a special one for Deprecated getting it up and running
http://www.triumphtalk.com

"The real question is not whether machines think but whether men do. "

willem-sp

Quote from: DirtRider on October 09, 2008, 11:41:13 PM
Congratulation to you all and a special one for Deprecated getting it up and running

Guess we won't be needing that extra forum now, DirtRider, but thank you so much for helping us here. I do hope you'll drop by !

I'm not sure about style and spelling on this one, but I just want to say: Don't mess with mad philosophers you punk-ass Plato-hater !

Deprecated

Perhaps more like a camel stuffer from what I hear. ;)

Advertisement: