Portal Management PortaMx v1.54 ecl for SMF 2 (updated)

Started by feline, October 07, 2008, 07:23:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Antechinus

Quote from: Trinny on October 08, 2008, 09:23:49 AM
Well it looks nice. I was looking for an alternative to TP since it won't work for 2.0.x

<snip>

At any rate, I'm certain that this was tested, so I'm not sure what went wrong with my installation. It LOOKS great in the screen caps.
Yo Trin, I just threw this up on my local. Installation on a vanilla Beta 4 was flawless with zero error messages in the log after installation. I haven't gone through all the config possibilities yet but it's looking good. I'll set up an online test bed and give it a bit of a thrashing. If it works I'll admin you so you can take a squiz.

@Feline: looking good so far but the front page styles don't match the forum and for what I'm planning this is seriously going to be a problem. I'm going to need total menu (ie: tabs/toolbar) integration between the forum and the home page. Is this possible with your portal? If it can't be configured to run whatever menu system I use in my customised themes then unfortunately you're out of the running.

feline

Quote from: antechinus on October 09, 2008, 08:44:58 PM
I'm going to need total menu (ie: tabs/toolbar) integration between the forum and the home page. Is this possible with your portal?
You can set the frontpage block in a fullsize area, inside the forum area or skip the frontpage. Can be set in setting menu.
It's that what you mean?

Fel

Antechinus

No. What I mean is I want to run several custom themes that have their own custom drop menus, which of course are styled to suit. Tiny Portal will handle this without any problems. I want to know if your portal can be made to do the same.

IOW, what I want is for the front page to display exactly the same tabs/drop menu arrangement as is displayed in the forum.

Antechinus

As an example here's one of my 1.1.x themes running TP. I want a portal that will do this for any themes I choose to run.

feline

Quote from: antechinus on October 09, 2008, 09:03:47 PM
As an example here's one of my 1.1.x themes running TP. I want a portal that will do this for any themes I choose to run.
First .. you need a smf 2.0 compatible theme.
RSS Feeds coming next time .. all other is available.

Fel

Antechinus

Yep I'm working on converting my themes to SMF 2.

Mulitcolour themes rock. SMF 2 needs them and I want them. :D

Actually I should have looked through your config options before asking questions. I've just found the "Show the frontpage in the Forum area" option which of course does what I want. I assumed the default front page menu was the standard setting. Thanks for replying.

ETA: Btw I like the way you've laid out the Block Manager options. Very smooth. TP is a tad cluttered there.

ETA 2: Oh yeah, I'll be running the SpringWidgets for my RSS feeds anyway which means as long as I have html blocks it's all good. SpringWidgets are great for RSS.

Trinny

Quote from: antechinus on October 09, 2008, 08:44:58 PM
Quote from: Trinny on October 08, 2008, 09:23:49 AM
Well it looks nice. I was looking for an alternative to TP since it won't work for 2.0.x

<snip>

At any rate, I'm certain that this was tested, so I'm not sure what went wrong with my installation. It LOOKS great in the screen caps.
Yo Trin, I just threw this up on my local. Installation on a vanilla Beta 4 was flawless with zero error messages in the log after installation. I haven't gone through all the config possibilities yet but it's looking good. I'll set up an online test bed and give it a bit of a thrashing. If it works I'll admin you so you can take a squiz.
Sweet ante, cos I worked forever on this and could not make it work even on a clean install. Of course it was that day that I hadn't slept in 48 hours, and it's possible that I.. clicked the button wrong? O_o or something. I'll give it a go tomorrow and see if I can make this work.

Running With Scissors

I uploaded this on beta 4 and now my forum says
Warning: require_once(/home/runws/public_html/forum/Sources/PortaMx/PortaMx.php) [function.require-once]: failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /home/runws/public_html/forum/index.php on line 66

Fatal error: require_once() [function.require]: Failed opening required '/home/runws/public_html/forum/Sources/PortaMx/PortaMx.php' (include_path='.:/usr/lib/php:/usr/local/lib/php') in /home/runws/public_html/forum/index.php on line 66

and I can't even go to the admin panel to uninstall it.
Heres the link so you can see for your self http://runnerstrail.astahost.com/forum
Help please.
A site for runners: http://www.traxck.com

Bancherd

QuoteYour marked stored in AdminBlocks.english.php

Found my problem....I had my translated file named "AdminBlocks.thai.utf8.php" instead of "AdminBlocks.thai-utf8.php".  Duh.. :-[

Antechinus

Ok, I'm getting the same problem Trin had.

Although this portal installed perfectly on my local nothing is showing when I install online. Using a vanilla Beta 4 I get all the standard package installation prompts, as well as a message telling me the portal has been installed and redirecting me to the home page.

The only problem is there is no home page. There is no portal admin block either. IOW, all I appear to have is a bog standard SMF forum. This is not quite the desired effect. ;)

ETA: I just checked server side and there are no PortaMX folders installed. All that is there is zero kb files called PortaMX. This explains the missing portal. I also have 504 errors spread over 34 pages in my admin centre log. Hmmm.

Most of the errors are of the following form:

2: copy(/home/cofexm/public_html/beta2kaboom/fckeditor/editor/css/images/fck_flashlogo.gif) [<a href='function.copy'>function.copy</a>]: failed to open stream: Not a directory
Apply Filter: Only show the errors from this file
File: /home/cofexm/public_html/beta2kaboom/Sources/Subs-Package.php
Line: 1604

Antechinus

Update: uninstalled the mod, including manually overwriting all files that failed the uninstall test.

Logged into cpanel and manually preset all relevant files and folders to 777.

Reinstalled PortaMX. Same result. No good.

Since this portal installs and appears to function on my local I assume the problem is something to do with server configuration. Any suggestions?

feline

Quote from: antechinus on October 10, 2008, 02:23:04 AM
Update: uninstalled the mod, including manually overwriting all files that failed the uninstall test.

Logged into cpanel and manually preset all relevant files and folders to 777.

Reinstalled PortaMX. Same result. No good.

Since this portal installs and appears to function on my local I assume the problem is something to do with server configuration. Any suggestions?
Mostly that is a access right problem, so SMF can't create the temp folder inside the package folder.

Fel

Antechinus

Ok, so how do people fix it? What causes it? I'm looking for n00b-proof explanations here.

BTW I want this thing working and it'll have to be tractable for the average member. From what I've seen so far on my local you could knock TP off its perch.

feline

A good way to install  ...

First make a local install (using XAMPP or EasyPHP) for SMF and PortaMx.
If this works, copy all the files and folder with ftp to your server, create the portamx tables as you have in your local database and load the content of the tables.

Fel

Antechinus

I appreciate that your method will work but frankly it is not a "good" way to install. It is a hellishly tedious way to install and will put a lot of people off. What you need is a way of making sure the process can be handled by the package manager.

This is meant as constructive criticism.

ETA: By the way I have installed several packages, upgrade patches as well as a variety of mods, and this is the first time I've struck this problem. So although I think it's something to do with server configuration I also have to say that it seems specific to PortaMX. If a way can be found to tweak server settings so that the package manager can then handle the installation you'll be onto a winner. If not you'll be severely restricting your market.

Kindred

Hmmmm....

Well,  I like it!
It installed fine for me on a clean install of SMF and parsed to install correctly on a modified installation (8 mods)

only problem is that the system won't let me save anything in the HTML blocks...   I can not change the front page to my own, because the editor just erases my content when I click save. :(
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Trinny

Quote from: Running With Scissors on October 09, 2008, 09:45:53 PM
I uploaded this on beta 4 and now my forum says
Warning: require_once(/home/runws/public_html/forum/Sources/PortaMx/PortaMx.php) [function.require-once]: failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /home/runws/public_html/forum/index.php on line 66

Fatal error: require_once() [function.require]: Failed opening required '/home/runws/public_html/forum/Sources/PortaMx/PortaMx.php' (include_path='.:/usr/lib/php:/usr/local/lib/php') in /home/runws/public_html/forum/index.php on line 66

and I can't even go to the admin panel to uninstall it.
Heres the link so you can see for your self http://runnerstrail.astahost.com/forum
Help please.
Did you make a backup of your forum before you installed this?

If not, just go to your public html files, and follow the error path public_html > forum > sources > PortaMx > portaMx.php

manually upload the file PortaMx.php and what you will find when you go back to your forum is a NEW error (yay). It will lead you to mainindex.php. Follow the process to upload the required files and you will have access to your forum to uninstall the mod.

Maybe there's a simpler way, but tbh, when I went in to see why I was getting these errors, it was like following a trail of bread crumbs, and my OCD personality had me uploading file after file after file until I got them all. Even doing this, the mod does not function. No portal.

Quote from: antechinus on October 10, 2008, 04:39:40 AM
I appreciate that your method will work but frankly it is not a "good" way to install. It is a hellishly tedious way to install and will put a lot of people off. What you need is a way of making sure the process can be handled by the package manager.

This is meant as constructive criticism.

ETA: By the way I have installed several packages, upgrade patches as well as a variety of mods, and this is the first time I've struck this problem. So although I think it's something to do with server configuration I also have to say that it seems specific to PortaMX. If a way can be found to tweak server settings so that the package manager can then handle the installation you'll be onto a winner. If not you'll be severely restricting your market.
Exactly right. If you can tweak the package itself, you've got a gold mine, fel. but if you can at least give a simple fix that any layman can use in their server settings, you'll at least have a smokin hot mod. If not, people will simply move on to another portal mod as it will be way easier to deal with.

Antechinus

Quote from: Kindred on October 10, 2008, 05:32:00 AM
Hmmmm....

Well,  I like it!
It installed fine for me on a clean install of SMF and parsed to install correctly on a modified installation (8 mods)

only problem is that the system won't let me save anything in the HTML blocks...   I can not change the front page to my own, because the editor just erases my content when I click save. :(
ROFL. I just tested that on my local and it's fine. Saves just like it should. Perhaps this is another minor issue with online configurations.

Powerbob

Strange all these reported problems?? I have yet to have a problem with an install of PortaMx. It installs through the package manager easily, and I can change the frontpage "and" save it as it should. I am no coding freak either. At 58 you look for easily manageable things believe me. So I cannot understand all this griping! Or is there something else behind it??

My SMF 2.1 Beta test site; http://www.pplb.net/smf21/index.php

Advertisement: