News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

Activation Emails

Started by davewinfield, October 12, 2008, 02:24:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

davewinfield

Hi All,
(First let me apologize for being a lowly User  ;)).

I recently registered for a new forum and got an email with the standard greeting and activation code:

You are now registered with an account at (X) Community, (X)!

Your account's username is (X) and its password is (X) (which can be changed later.)

Before you can login, you first need to activate your account. To do so, please follow this link: [link with activation code]

Should you have any problems with activation, please use the code "(X)".

Regards,
The (X) Community Team.

A couple days later I receive another email from the admin/forum:

You are now registered with an account at (X) Community, (X)!

Your username is "(X)". [Same as above]

Before you can login, you first need to activate your account. To do so, please follow this link: [link with different activation code]

Should you have any problems with activation, please use the code "(X)".

Regards,
The (X) Community Team.

This is pretty strange to me--any reason why I got the second activation email and a different activation code? Was it a mistake by the admin/forum, or is this a common occurrence for users of SMForums? Plus, why did the second email suddenly include only my username?

I'm thinking this last email was an automatic trigger or something, I may be wrong.

Please let me know some of your ideas on this situation... Maybe this can help current or future admins (like me :)) as well!

davewinfield

Anybody? Please, please help  :-[

Deprecated

Contact your site administrator. They are more likely to know their specific configuration and management practices.

For example, I sometimes get annoyed that a prospective member hasn't activated so I log out and pretend I'm them and request a second activation email. I'm hoping that the recipient will take a hint.

And then other times I just email them and offer to help if they are having difficulties, tell them we'd love to have them on our forum.

davewinfield

Quote from: Deprecated on October 13, 2008, 02:49:02 PM
Contact your site administrator. They are more likely to know their specific configuration and management practices.

For example, I sometimes get annoyed that a prospective member hasn't activated so I log out and pretend I'm them and request a second activation email. I'm hoping that the recipient will take a hint.

And then other times I just email them and offer to help if they are having difficulties, tell them we'd love to have them on our forum.

Hey again Deprecated!

(Unfortunately I can't contact the admin for some reason...I can't find any of his info.)

So you're saying that this is basically a reminder email?

But why is activation link different in the second email (was this the case in your experiences)? 

Forgive me, I'm quite forgetful, and I don't quite recall what I did during the registration process. I can't remember if I clicked on the activation link in the first email. Also, I'm not sure if I requested another activation email from the admin. Finally, I'm not sure if I deleted my account and registered again. Can you help me read my mind?

Sorry about the bother; like I said, I forgot what I did exactly when I registered :-\. I just need reassurance because I want to keep email contact between myself and the forum at a minimum...
Thanks so much for your insight. I won't bother you anymore, I promise!! O:)

DW

Deprecated

If you want to contact the webmaster, just reply to the activation email. :) Or you can look up their domain registry and send your email to that address instead.

I have absolutely NO idea why the link is different. I could research it and maybe find the answer in an hour or two, but I'm on an urgent mission to get my sock drawer sorted. ;)

If you want to keep contact via email to a minimum, just register a disposable email address at Yahoo, Hotmail, Gmail or the like. Then change your profile email address to that. That should put an end to them emailing you.

Advertisement: