Y1G Converter?

Started by NaturalStateReb, August 06, 2003, 05:28:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ms_ukyankee

I don't think I noticed a board password protection option, but the group permissions should do the trick. I'm sure it's secure as anything else.
SMF since 2004 <3

Jazhawk

Quote from: ms_ukyankee on March 25, 2004, 02:58:43 PM
I don't think I noticed a board password protection option, but the group permissions should do the trick. I'm sure it's secure as anything else.

You're probably right.  I have never used permissions in that way before ms_ukyankee.  I'll give it a shot and holla if I get into trouble. If you dont mind.

-Jazhawk

ms_ukyankee

I'm still a little confused by the permissions myself. ;) There are a lot of threads around on board permissions.
SMF since 2004 <3

Jazhawk

Quote from: ms_ukyankee on March 25, 2004, 03:12:34 PM
I'm still a little confused by the permissions myself. ;) There are a lot of threads around on board permissions.

I'll be rooting them out too.   :)

-Jazhawk

Senkusha

Just so you know, to "password protect" a board and allow only certain members access to it, you can create a member group (non-count based).  Then select that board and goto permissions, then make it a local permissions board.  Select your newly created group to only access that board.  Then simply add the membergroup to the individual members you want access to.  (I think you can do this by using additional groups but, I haven't tried that yet.  Note that this option will also hide the fact to other users that the selected members are a part of these groups (i.e. the group name will not show up on the memberlist and it will not show up under the member name next to each post.

Although, I do wish that any additional membergroups did show up with the member information with each post.  I also wish that the memberlist could have an option to display post based groups instead of non-post based groups (under position), but I'll live.  Sorry about the tangent. :)
--Senkusha
The Anime Brigade
Anime-style Role Playing Games and Discussion.
(SMF v. 2.1.4, PHP v. 8.0)

Jazhawk

Sounds reasonable.  I'll test a few things out and get back with this thread.

-Jazhawk

Ben_S

Quote from: Jazhawk on March 25, 2004, 11:21:05 AM
Quote from: Ben_S on March 25, 2004, 11:17:56 AM
Edit Features & Options > Allow guests to browse the forum

What I want is to only allow certain people in.

-Jazhawk

You could have t hem register, and then disable registration.
Liverpool FC Forum with 14 million+ posts.

Jazhawk

I just read something in these responses and I suspect I've used a term or word differently than most of you and threw everybody off the objectives. 

Oops my bad.   :)

What I want to know is how I can use permissions to restrict certain membergroups.  In Yabb 1.3.1, their is a mod written to password protect specific forums.  For instance, if I want to restrict access to only women, I only need to secure it with a password.  How do I do that using permissions?  Can anyone help me here?

-Jazhawk

ms_ukyankee

Create an additional membergroup that you want to admit to that board, such as "Ladies", then follow the instructions that Ayeka gave, allowing the Ladies admittance to that board, and none of the other members. Give the Ladies you want to admit to that board the additional group status as Ladies, and that should do it. Does that help?
SMF since 2004 <3

Jazhawk

Quote from: ms_ukyankee on March 26, 2004, 11:27:12 AM
Create an additional membergroup that you want to admit to that board, such as "Ladies", then follow the instructions that Ayeka gave, allowing the Ladies admittance to that board, and none of the other members. Give the Ladies you want to admit to that board the additional group status as Ladies, and that should do it. Does that help?

That might do it.  Let me try it out right now.

-Jazhawk

Jazhawk

Help Akeya

I'm an idiot.  Nothing I do is working.  Maybe I need a step by step example.  I also didn't quite understand what you meant by local permissions board.

-Jazhawk

Senkusha

Goto your Admin center.  Then click on Manage Boards, then click on Permissions (I'm assuming that you already have the board created and the membergroup defined with the members already assigned to it) :)  Now you will see a screen for all membergroups defined with the number of allow / deny permissions.  You can click on the checks to allow access to that board by membergroup here.

OR

In Admin center, click on Permissions, now at the bottom you will see Global and Local (perhaps with boards listed underneath)  Click on the board you want to restrict, and click on the local link next to it.  Then select only the groups you want to have access to.

I hope this helps :)
--Senkusha
The Anime Brigade
Anime-style Role Playing Games and Discussion.
(SMF v. 2.1.4, PHP v. 8.0)

Smigma

I'm a simple person.  Can't there just be a one step covertion from 1.3.1 to smf?  All this mess about installing SE then transfer 1.3.1 then upgrade to smf seems kind of pointless.  I would like a fresh install of smf instead of se and convert from that point.  Any feedback.  Or am i just wishing on a star?

Jazhawk

It's not pointless at all.  Not really.  It would be nice to have a one click conversion process but when you join unlike databases, the process sometimes require some sweat equity on your part.

But the process to convert is fairly benign if you ask me; and I'm no pro by any streatch.

-Jazhawk

David

Quote from: Smigma on April 04, 2004, 11:47:57 PM
I'm a simple person.  Can't there just be a one step covertion from 1.3.1 to smf?  All this mess about installing SE then transfer 1.3.1 then upgrade to smf seems kind of pointless.  I would like a fresh install of smf instead of se and convert from that point.  Any feedback.  Or am i just wishing on a star?
There will be a completed convertor for YaBB but right now the priority is to get SMF 1.0 stable out.
This space for rent.

Homie

Whats a Estimate for 1.0 to come out

Smigma

Don't get me wrong.  I did the fresh install of SE then converted my 1.3.1 board to it.  Then installed a fresh SMF board and then upgraded the SE board to it. ;D

Everything seemed to go without a hitch, then it just stopped working. :'( 

Now, by no means am I guru at this stuff, but it seems more than one thing can go wrong with the "current" steps to get a SMF board (Which I loved for the 10 minutes it worked LOL  :P) without losing data from a previous board.  I also understand the the priority in getting a stable version out first.  By all means, do that first.  Just as long as there is a "plan" to have a one step converter in the future, is all I was asking.

Till then I'll remain a yabb 1.3.1 board till that day arrives.  Then convert over to a SMF board. 

All I have to say is "GREAT JOB" on the current beta guys, it looks very promising.  Looking forward to the "stable" release.

David

I'd post a new thread requesting help as it shouldn't just stop working on you. :)
This space for rent.

Smigma

I would but since it was still beta, i figured i did something wrong.  Wiped it out and restored a backup.

Going to give it another wack tomorrow!

Advertisement: