News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

Re: SMF <-> Mambo Bridge (Combined Readme)

Started by AiR-head, April 10, 2005, 09:08:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AiR-head

What is the mosbot and what are the other modules?

EDIT: I'm on step 2 and have sort of figured out how to install components. When I choose the local address to the zip file com_smf.zip and upload it to be 'uploaded and installed' it says it fails to create a directory, specificially the 'languages' one. I've CHMODded everything. What to do?

Orstio

The mosbot is a "discussbot".  It places a link at the bottom of a Mambo article so that people are directed to discuss the article in the forum.

Here is an example from my site:

http://www.everything-science.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=122&Itemid=2

Scroll to the bottom, and you will see a link, with a chat-bubble, that says: "(9) Comments posted about this in the forum"

That is done by the mosbot.

The other modules have things like who's online, recent topics, etc.  The names of the files tell you what they are for.

AiR-head

Ah, so that was quite obvious. Thanks for your post.

My post above has been edited.

Orstio

QuoteEDIT: I'm on step 2 and have sort of figured out how to install components. When I choose the local address to the zip file com_smf.zip and upload it to be 'uploaded and installed' it says it fails to create a directory, specificially the 'languages' one. I've CHMODded everything. What to do?

Do you already have a com_smf directory inside your components directory?  You cannot install the same component twice.

AiR-head

I can't seem to get the installing component step to work for me... Keep getting an error saying it failed to create the directory 'languages'. I've CHMOD'ed everything I can.

Orstio

Do you already have a com_smf directory inside your components directory?

AiR-head

I've probably posted this about 5 times but somehow it disappears..

When I get to the component installation part I get a failed to create languages directory error. I've checked all CHMOD's and can't figure it out. When I manually upload the folder com_smf to where it should be I get another error.

Orstio

QuoteWhen I manually upload the folder com_smf to where it should be I get another error.

There should be no com_smf folder before installation fo the component.

Kindred

nowhere in the instructions does it tell you to upload com_smf or anything else to your server, using FTP.

Everything should be done by the automatic processes in SMF (step 1, package manager) and mambo (step 2, 3, 4 mambo admin)
The only manual modification that you have to make is to add the code in the <head> tags of the mambo template(s)
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

AiR-head

First of all, sorry for the multiple posts stating the same problem, I was unaware my posts were being moved from the other topic.

Secondly, I know that, kindred. I only attempted that after I got the errors above, as I said... I think...  ???

Anyhow, nope, the directory doesn't exist. Any ideas?

Orstio

Thanks for the access.

In your Mambo admin > Global Configuration > Server tab, your permissions for new files and new directories was set to 600.

So, what was happening was that Mambo was creating the com_smf folder, and CHMODing that to 600.  Then it tried to create the languages directory, but because its parent directory was not writeable by Mambo, it could not create the directory.  This would cause problems with any Mambo component.

I have set your permissions to something that should work for you now.

Advertisement: