News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

i am getting errors with upgrades and have another problem

Started by turbobikes, November 21, 2008, 04:50:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

turbobikes

i tried to upgrade a few times and seem to be getting this error??

32.     Execute Modification     ./Themes/default/languages/index.english.php     Test failed

i have been trying to maintain this site for a while now but it seems there have been a few problems show up recently ??

it also seems most of my users dont have a quote or reply button in the PM's if they use an older version of firefox or any IE

please advise as i dont want to lose this site from doing something wrong (i crashed it the first week i had it and have been going along pretty good for 11 months or so

Thank you

Antechinus

Bit more information would be handy. Are you trying to upgrade from 1.1.6 to 1.1.7?

Do you have any mods installed on your forum?

turbobikes

i dont think i have any mods added??

i am tryin to upgrade from 1.1.4 to 1.1.5 (i dont think i can go higher till this upgrade is done first??)
also i am fairly certain i have no clue what i am doing and have tried to just maintain it as so i dont crash the site

i have tried this upgrade 2 times with this error so i dont continue
i tried back when it was released and never went along with it due to this error
then my members told me they couldnt reply to pm's so now i have worried lately that something is wrong
sorry to bother you all just dont want upset members

Antechinus

Ok cool. If there aren't any modifications to worry about and you have to go all the way from 1.1.4 to 1.1.7 then the easiest way to do it is to grab the large upgrade pack and go with that. It will overwrite all of your existing forum files (which will get rid of the errors) but it wont trash your data (post, topics, etc, etc).

Best thing to do is to run your normal forum maintenance routine first and get a backup of your database. This is purely a precaution and usually will not be needed but it is better to be safe.

Then download the large upgrade pack from here: http://www.simplemachines.org/download/

Have you done an installation before or did you just inherit the site as it is?

turbobikes

i started the site but i am not sure what to do with a download like this
and the last time i tried to reload a backup i am not sure i did it right so i am not sure i am realling knowing what i am doing?

i hate to sound dumb but i am a programmer of cnc's not computers lol

is there an easy way to do this?
and i just did a backup (i think)

Antechinus

Well really there's only one way to do it. If you're getting an error when you try to use the patch you'll need to do some file editing anyway, so you may as well just go for the big upgrade in one go.

Anyway if you have a backup of the database that's the first step. If you aren't sure you have one then do one now. You probably wont need to restore it but you should have it just in case. If it becomes necessary to restore it we can talk you through that later.

For the upgrade itself, unzip the download file and load all the files from it into your forum folder on your server. You may have to set the permissions on your current files and folders if they are not writable at the moment. Do you now how to use ftp?

turbobikes

Quote from: antechinus on November 21, 2008, 05:25:54 PM
Well really there's only one way to do it. If you're getting an error when you try to use the patch you'll need to do some file editing anyway, so you may as well just go for the big upgrade in one go.

Anyway if you have a backup of the database that's the first step. If you aren't sure you have one then do one now. You probably wont need to restore it but you should have it just in case. If it becomes necessary to restore it we can talk you through that later.

For the upgrade itself, unzip the download file and load all the files from it into your forum folder on your server. You may have to set the permissions on your current files and folders if they are not writable at the moment. Do you now how to use ftp?

yes i ran a backup and saved it to my computer

what is ftp and no i dont know how to use it ??

turbobikes

i am hosting with siteground
and use a control panel once in a while but im not sure where to place the file that you linked??

Antechinus

Ok,which file do you mean? Are you talking about an ftp client download file or the SMF upgrade file?

turbobikes

Quote from: antechinus on November 21, 2008, 05:10:30 PM
Ok cool. If there aren't any modifications to worry about and you have to go all the way from 1.1.4 to 1.1.7 then the easiest way to do it is to grab the large upgrade pack and go with that. It will overwrite all of your existing forum files (which will get rid of the errors) but it wont trash your data (post, topics, etc, etc).

Best thing to do is to run your normal forum maintenance routine first and get a backup of your database. This is purely a precaution and usually will not be needed but it is better to be safe.

Then download the large upgrade pack from here: http://www.simplemachines.org/download/

Have you done an installation before or did you just inherit the site as it is?
this file

turbobikes

well actually now i am not sure which to download lol
sorry i get lost easily

turbobikes

i just downloaded the smf upgrade (the one that says if not using 1.1.6) or mods

not where would i place this file (i unzip first correct?)

Antechinus

Yes. Unzip the thing first. Then you need to upload the contents to the folder that holds your forum. You'll need to get your ftp set up first.

This is actually fairly simple once you've done it once. It is just a matter of taking it one step at a time and being a bit careful. I'm loading up a test site at the moment.

turbobikes

Quote from: antechinus on November 21, 2008, 06:10:30 PM
Yes. Unzip the thing first. Then you need to upload the contents to the folder that holds your forum. You'll need to get your ftp set up first.
doesnt my siteground host offer the ftp to use?
i thought it did
if not ill get one for my computer

turbobikes

ok i am in my Cpanel and where is my forum located?
i have a list of sql sites or something??

this is the list of my database (was told this is where my files are (but not sure if is or not?)
MySQL® Databases
MySQL® Database Wizard
phpMyAdmin
Remote MySQL
PostgreSQL Databases
PostgreSQL Database Wizard
phpPgAdmin

turbobikes

oops its in my files manager right? (told you i get lost)

Antechinus

Yes.  ;D

You should be able to see folders called Themes, Sources, etc. If you can see all of those you are in the right place.

turbobikes

ok now exactly where do i download this set of files?

there seems to be alot of files do i move them all over?

Antechinus

Yes, the whole lot.

One thing I just though of: have you put your forum into maintenance mode so that nobody tries to use it while the upgrade is happening? If you haven't nick into SMF admin and do it now.

Anyway you have to load all the files and folders from your desktop to your server. They should overwrite all the existing files and folders. To make sure this happens check the permissions on the existing files and folders. If you can it is best to set them all to 777 or 755, depending on what your host allows.

turbobikes

the last time i went to forum maintenance i lost the site
i dont know where to properly do that without locking myself out
and also where do i see and set permissions?

Antechinus

Quote from: turbobikes on November 21, 2008, 06:31:16 PM
the last time i went to forum maintenance i lost the site
i dont know where to properly do that without locking myself out

Eh? If you have an admin account on the forum maintenance mode wont lock you out. It will ask you to login but will only lock out normal member accounts. All you do is go to Server Settings in Admin. You'll see a check box for Maintenance Mode. Just check it and Save.

Quoteand also where do i see and set permissions?
You should be able to see them in your file manager in the list of files and folders. They will be three numbers like 644 or 755.

turbobikes

long story but my account is the admin
and it wouldnt let me in

i am lost on how to use the ftp and get it to my host
i am real lost now and getting worse by the minute
i can upload one file at a time on my files manager but i dont know how to upload a folder

turbobikes

my site is now crashed (told you im bad at this)

i just have no clue what ive done now

Antechinus

Antechinus

turbobikes

yes i remember
i was uploading files as i dont know how to get the ftp to link up right
and then i realized i cant upload folders and then i accidentally deleted a few files that i thought i uploaded wrong

turbobikes

i didnt lose everything did i?
i hope not as most of the files are still in the file manager (almost all of them are)

Antechinus

Quote from: turbobikes on November 21, 2008, 06:50:57 PM
yes i remember
i was uploading files as i dont know how to get the ftp to link up right
and then i realized i cant upload folders and then i accidentally deleted a few files that i thought i uploaded wrong
Ok. What you seem to have done is delete index.php, which is rather important. Upload another copy of it and the site should reappear.

No you haven't lost everything. It's just a missing file.

turbobikes

now this shows when i go to my site?

Fatal error: Call to undefined function smf_seed_generator() in /home/turbobik/public_html/forum/index.php on line 86

Antechinus

Must be related to one of the other files you deleted. Don't worry about it at the moment. The main thing is to get all the new files uploaded. You should be able to select all files and folders on your desktop and upload the lot in one go. They will take a while, depending on your internet connection.

turbobikes

and how would i go about doing this?

i have the filezilla but i dont know how to get it to connect to my host or files
i am sorta computer illeterate so to speak when it comes to this
i have a very fast connection though

Antechinus

This is going to be slightly awkward because I don't use Filezilla.

Anyway you'll need the url of your host (which should be the same as the url of your cpanel login page) and you'll need to enter your cpanel password.

Have a look at this page: http://filezilla-project.org/images/screenshots/fz3_win_main.png

Host url goes in the Host window. Cpanel username goes in the next one. Password is obvious. Port is usually 21. Try that and hit Connect.

turbobikes

ok after i transfer these files using the ftp (i hope i did it right what will be the next coarse of action?

turbobikes

still same screen when i try and connect to my site
should i have used the ftp at my site for upload (that is what my control panel offers?
or just my control panels address ?
this doesnt seem to be easy as it sounds

Antechinus

Yeah you can use the ftp at your site I suppose. I always use my desktop client. I've never bothered with the other. Hang on while I take a look at it.

turbobikes

no i meant as the address to the site download?
thats the only place that it seemed to connect
but i am lost now (wish i would have just dealt with the complaints of no reply and told them to lump it sometimes i guess
i hope everything is still there

Antechinus

Everything will still be there.

Yes you should be able to use that as the address. Try it.

turbobikes

i just download it to the forum folder right?
or is there a way to get it to relace things properly?
i am not sure i am doing this correctly it does upload the files but doesnt seem to correct things?

Antechinus

Yes to the forum folder.

When you say it doesn't seem to correct things: can you be more specific?

turbobikes

ok it shows as a folder in the forum folder in my control panel as upgrade 1.1.7
am i not doing things right?
my permissions setting is 755

turbobikes

stil no site but i am lost
it uploaded 1100 files (is this number right?)

turbobikes

should i be uploading a whole new forum file instead up the upgrade? which exact file should i be uploading

Antechinus

Quote from: turbobikes on November 21, 2008, 07:46:02 PM
ok it shows as a folder in the forum folder in my control panel as upgrade 1.1.7
am i not doing things right?
my permissions setting is 755

I think what you have done is to select the folder on your desktop which contains the extracted upgrade files and you have uploaded that. Wont work. You need to open that folder on the desktop side so you can see all the files and folders inside it. Then you need to select all of those and upload them. If you have all the files and folders on your desktop side highlighted then when you initiate transfer your ftp will automatically upload them in the correct order.

turbobikes

ok site is back up but i get this warning what am i to do now?

MAJOR SECURITY RISK:
You have not removed upgrade.php!

Antechinus

turbobikes

it says i am upgraded on my site now??
what other steps are ther to do
i am lost
i uploaded everything and the site came back and it says i am using the 1.1.7 now at the bottom and the admin page

Antechinus

After uploading all the files the next step is to run upgrade.php, which is the file you are being warned about. You do this by entering this link in your address bar: http://yoursitename.org/forum/upgrade.php

That will bring up the upgrade screen. Have you seen that before?

turbobikes

no never seen that before
it says

The upgrader found some old or outdated language files.

Please make certain you uploaded the new versions of all the files included in the package, even the theme and language files for the default theme.

Click here to try again.

Antechinus

Usually you'll see a screen that asks you for your cpanel login and runs you through a brief upgrade process. If all the files uploaded correctly there shouldn't be any outdated language files.

Mind you, a lot of the time they will only be languages you never use anyway. 

How does your admin error log look? Is it pretty clean or all messed up?

turbobikes

i keep getting this error
MAJOR SECURITY RISK:
You have not removed upgrade.php!

and it says my language files are 1.1 and out dated
but all else looks good
how do i correc tthe rest of the issues?

Antechinus

Ok, if everything seems fine then use your ftp to delete upgrade.php.

If it turns out the upgrade process was incomplete you can always upload upgrade.php again, but deleting it in the mean time closes a security hole. Keep an eye on your error log in case something turns up.

You can check the language files in your admin center under "Maintenance".Same page you do backups from. If the outdated files are languages you don't need then personally I wouldn't worry about them. If they are ones you want then just get a copy of them and upload them to the right folder.

turbobikes

Antechinus

Cool. My test site files have uploaded now (slow connection) so I'll go do mine.  :D

Post again if you hit any glitches.

turbobikes

all is good now (i wont mess with the laguages thing yet
there is some mod english the need updated but ill attempt that another day
enough drama for today lol
ill mark as solved
thank you again

Advertisement: