AllCaps Blocker (ex-AllCaps Notifier) - v2.0 is out! [10. 04. 2009.]

Started by Branko., December 02, 2008, 07:19:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Branko.

AllCaps Blocker (ex-AllCaps Notifier)
by X3mE, version 2.0

Description

This mod will tweak the editor box (works also with the WYSIWYG Quick Reply mod for SMF 2) to show a warning once the user enters a few uppercase letters in a row (called ALL CAPS). The warning may be shown only once per page load, or every time the "limit" is breached, as determined in the Admin Control Panel.

It can also prevent the user from posting, if the ALLCAPS text remains in those boxes.

Screenshot

Live Demo: http://x3me.iz.rs/index.php?board=5.0

Changelog

* Version 2.0 (10. 04. 2009.)
- Changed name to AllCaps Blocker
- Works with Unicode characters
- Improved detection - skips spaces and punctuation marks
- Added a possibility to set the number of successtive chars to be considered writing in ALLCAPS in the ACP (default: 6)
- Added a possibility to warn always, not just the first time
- It is now possible to prevent posting if ALLCAPS text remains (off by default)
- Checks also the Post Subject box now
- Works with AJAX inline edits now
- Works with default Quick Reply in SMF 2 now
- Removed compatibility for SMF 1.1.x

* Version 1.0 (20. 11. 2008.)
- Initial version for SMF 2.0 Beta 4 and 1.1.7

Notes

For SMF 2.x, install AllCaps_Blocker_v2.0_SMF_2.x.zip, or AllCaps_Blocker_v2.0_SMF_2.x-WYSIWYG.zip if you have WYSIWYG Quick Reply installed.

If you wish to install it on 1.1.x, the old 1.0 version is still available. There are 2 versions of the installation file - one for SMF 1.1.x, and one for SMF 1.1.x with Enhanced Quick Reply installed. If you wish to uninstall Enhanced Quick Reply, you will have to uninstall AllCaps Notifier first.

Please post all your support questions and comments in the support thread. You can also use the Issue Tracker on the Demo Website.

Languages

Languages included:
- English (english, english-utf8)
- Serbian (serbian, serbian-utf8, serbian-utf8-lat, serbian_latin-utf8)

To translate it to your own language, add the translation for

$txt['ALL_CAPS_NOTIFIER'] = 'It appears that you are trying to write using ALLCAPS.\n\nPlease be aware this is against forum rules.';
$txt['allcaps_mods_cat'] = 'AllCaps Settings';
$txt['allcaps_number_of_chars'] = 'Number of successive uppercase chars to be considered writing in AllCaps (spaces and punctiation chars are not counted):';
$txt['allcaps_prevent_posting'] = 'Prevent posting if AllCaps text remains in the post text/subject?';
$txt['allcaps_show_more_than_once'] = 'Show the warning multiple times (if not checked the warning will only be shown the first time)?';
$txt['allcaps_settings_title'] = 'AllCaps Settings';
$txt['allcaps_prevented_warning'] = 'Your text or subject contains ALLCAPS text, therefore you cannot post.\n\nPlease correct it and try again.';

in the appropriate Modifications.language.php file. You are welcome to post your translations in the support topic.

Donations

If you like this mod, please donate to support its further development. Any amount would be highly appreciated. Thank you.

Strong people don't put others down, they lift them up.
A clever person solves a problem. A wise person avoids it.

kizer

Installed it, but doesn't seem to work. Is there a setting in the admin panel?
Own a Jeep? Links4Jeeps.com

kizer

Nevermind I didn't type enough caps for it to work. Thats pretty cool
Own a Jeep? Links4Jeeps.com

edi67

CrazyZone - My SMF Forum

From the difficult the hardening of the man you can see

edi67

only one little suggestion, message of warning disappear if you press ok or continue to write will be very good is message will appear again if user continue to write in uppercase , and not only 1 time but all time that user continue write in that way

by the way thx
CrazyZone - My SMF Forum

From the difficult the hardening of the man you can see

villasg

Very good idea but only for english language

I install the
AllCaps_Notifier_v1.0_SMF_1.1.x.zip
BUT work only in english writing .
My forum is in greek language and if  i write in greek the mod dont work ......

Afro

Great mod you have there...i am wondering if you can also create the mod that changes locked caps to small letter..
thanks..(or maybe show me if it is already here)

X3mE

Quote from: edi67 on December 03, 2008, 04:12:52 AM
only one little suggestion, message of warning disappear if you press ok or continue to write will be very good is message will appear again if user continue to write in uppercase , and not only 1 time but all time that user continue write in that way

by the way thx

Well, showing it all the time can be very annoying for users, but there might be an option for that in the next version.
Kids, you tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is - never try.

My mods:
OS & Browser Detection (1.5 is out!) | Skype Profile Field | GTalk Profile Field | AllCaps Blocker | SMF Syntax Highlighter (Beta) + 2 in development!

Personal websites:
Mobilize.rs (and forum) | Lolmao.info

X3mE

Quote from: kizer on December 03, 2008, 01:07:22 AM
Nevermind I didn't type enough caps for it to work. Thats pretty cool

I didn't have enough free time to play around, but in the next version there will surely be a possibility to set the number of uppercase letters to trigger this alert (now you'd had to do it manually). :)

My mods:
OS & Browser Detection (1.5 is out!) | Skype Profile Field | GTalk Profile Field | AllCaps Blocker | SMF Syntax Highlighter (Beta) + 2 in development!

Personal websites:

X3mE

Quote from: villasg on December 03, 2008, 04:52:30 AM
Very good idea but only for english language

I install the
AllCaps_Notifier_v1.0_SMF_1.1.x.zip
BUT work only in english writing .
My forum is in greek language and if  i write in greek the mod dont work ......

Use this mod: http://custom.simplemachines.org/mods/index.php?mod=615

Or add the greek translation to the file Modification.greek-or-smthing.php in your languages folder, add the following line:

$txt['ALL_CAPS_NOTIFIER'] = 'Type the alert text here';

I'd be happy to include in the next version it if you post here the exact file name and translation.

My mods:

Personal websites:

X3mE

Quote from: sam_milla on December 03, 2008, 04:57:44 AM
Great mod you have there...i am wondering if you can also create the mod that changes locked caps to small letter..
thanks..(or maybe show me if it is already here)

No, I don't think something like that exists, but it is a nice idea for a new mod :)

My mods:

Personal websites:

villasg

Hi before install the mod i have make the translation readi in modification_1.xml

<file name="$languagedir/Modifications.greek-utf8.php" error="skip">
<operation>
<search position="end" />
<add><![CDATA[
$txt['ALL_CAPS_NOTIFIER'] = 'Βλέπω ότι προσπαθείτε να γράψετε μόνο με κεφαλαία .\n\nΠαρακαλώ σημειώστε ότι αυτό είναι ενάντια στους κανόνες του φόρουμ.';
]]></add>
</operation>
</file>

My problem is the mod DONT recognize the greek cap letters ( my forum is utf-8 ) .

villasg

Quote from: X3mE on December 03, 2008, 05:58:25 AM

Use this mod: http://custom.simplemachines.org/mods/index.php?mod=615

Or add the greek translation to the file Modification.greek-or-smthing.php in your languages folder, add the following line:

$txt['ALL_CAPS_NOTIFIER'] = 'Type the alert text here';

I'd be happy to include in the next version it if you post here the exact file name and translation.

I install the Load Standard Language 102
And after the mod .
have again the same results .
IF i write in greek ( caps ) the mod dont work

X3mE

Hm, that's true :S... I'll try to find a way to do this and update the mod. Thanks for the translation btw.

My mods:

Personal websites:

villasg

aishaweb

Quote from: X3mE on December 03, 2008, 05:53:31 AM
Quote from: edi67 on December 03, 2008, 04:12:52 AM

by the way thx

Well, showing it all the time can be very annoying for users, but there might be an option for that in the next version.

Its supposed to be annoying for users typing in all caps.

X3mE

Yes, I agree, but whoever wants to do it on purpose is not likely to stop even after an alert after every x characters :)
This should only be a warning, and also there are cases when AllCaps is necessary, like abbreviations, etc. And then it could be annoying to non-rude users.

But, as I said, there will probably be a setting for that as well. ;)

My mods:

Personal websites:

pinoypetfinder

question before i install the mod (it looks great but might be better if it will only stop CAPS on the "subject"). if someone posted a url with a capital letters included (file name example is www.mysite.com/MYFILENAMEINCAPS.JPG << will the warning pop up too? because i know some server are very strict with caps and small letter file names - including ours :/

X3mE

Quote from: pinoypetfinder on December 04, 2008, 12:09:29 AM
if it will only stop CAPS on the "subject".

I'll implement this in the next version.

Quote from: pinoypetfinder on December 04, 2008, 12:09:29 AM
if someone posted a url with a capital letters included (file name example is www.mysite.com/MYFILENAMEINCAPS.JPG << will the warning pop up too? because i know some server are very strict with caps and small letter file names - including ours :/

It only works while typing, on the onKeyPress JavaScript event. To make it work while copy/pasting, it would have to use the onChange event and scan the entire text after every change, which isn't very practical.

Anyway, I tried to make it work with all Unicode characters, but I just can't find a solution in JavaScript, not even the toUpperCase/toLowerCase methods work with Unicode characters... I'll see if I could find a workaround somehow...

My mods:

Personal websites:

pinoypetfinder

sounds great, will look forward to it. thank you :)

Advertisement: