News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

An SMF CMS?

Started by Jeff Lewis, February 18, 2005, 11:15:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

assist

Why reinvent the wheel when a cooperative effort could provide a solution for two open source systems. Take a look at CMS Made Simple at hxxp:www.cmsmadesimple.org/home.shtml [nonactive]. They already use your SMF software for their forum and their PHP based CMS software despite being open source is feature rich and user friendly.

Col

I don't get it?

I took the link to the demo, entered the password to gain entry to admin, and found it was a "Geeklog" CMS. - I've had quick look around, and see no explanation. ???

TwinsX2Dad

If you just want a simple and easy to manage portal, go with TinyPortal. It is clean, quick and the support is really good. Hats off to Bloc for the effort. I run a pair of sites with this configuration.

If you want a full blown CMS, albeit one with a bit of a learning curve, go with Joomla. I've not had a single issue with upgrading Joomla aside from a recent SMF bridge compatibility problem. I just have to wait for Orstio to finish his latest masterpiece. I run several sites with this setup.

As Miraenda mentioned, the support is poor on the Joomla site, but that is remedied by finding one of the many third party Joomla/Mambo enthusiast sites who are more than willing to assist nearly anyone.

I am still running one MKPortal site (with IPB) and find it far less than satisfactory. It places a bit of a high load on my server (for the amount of traffic) and is a bit clunky in operation. There also seems to be some animosity on their end toward SMF. I'd love to get away from it, but converting is not always something to look forward to.

Leipe Po

why not build your own, its really easy to intergrate stuff in smf, as the documentation is real good inside the files,
and most of the hard things are done for you, if ther would be a official portal/cms by smf,
i would volunteer right away!
There is only one thing more importend to me then coding:
My Girlfriend

Microsoft - "You've got questions.  We've got dancing paperclips."

bugsmi0

the best CMS (barnone) i have seen is www.modxcms.com, i think can be intergated SMF very nicely

Wolfenrook

That modxCMS looks really good, but it's a real shame that they have chosen to hid the SMF copyright on their forums (it's black on black).
Thoughts are free, it's their consequences that often have a cost.

JayBachatero

It's all a matter of your monitor settings.  I don't think that they would try to hide the copyright even though they are doing an integration for SMF.  There are other parts that are a bit hard to read also.
Follow me on Twitter

"HELP!!! I've fallen and I can't get up"
This moment has been brought to you by LifeAlert

Wolfenrook

Yup, that's pretty much what they have said on there.  My guess is that they have their gamma turned up far to high because the only way I could make the copyright visible was to turn my gamma right up.

Looks good, though it's obviously still early days for them.
Thoughts are free, it's their consequences that often have a cost.

bugsmi0

who cares if a copyright can be seen or not, there's more important things in life besides a copyright that's not even on my list of things to check out on a website he he, besides there's no rule that says a copyright has to be in all caps and so visible that you have to be able to read it 50 feet from the monitor.  Be greatful that it's even there :P

bloc

Its not a question of whether you are interested in it or not, the license dictates that. And that says it should be "visible in plain sight".

destalk

Anyone used That Subdreamer taht keeps getting advertised?

It does cost money, but it does seem easy to use. The problem with Joomla/mambo and some of the others, is that they are so difficult to actually get to work the way you want them to work.

Having said that, Subdreamer appears to be Mac hostile, so it's not getting my support.

I just want something easy to use. I only want to be able to copy and paste a bunch of text files and link them to each other. Yes, I could do it in html/Dreamweaver, but content management systems can make the process so much easier to manage for global changes and forum integration.

bugsmi0

Quote from: Bloc on April 04, 2006, 05:36:40 AM
Its not a question of whether you are interested in it or not, the license dictates that. And that says it should be "visible in plain sight".

it says to have it on the site somewhere, nothing about visible to this degree or that, as long as its on there it's fine. Nobody can regulate how large a copyright has to be, its not an advertisement banner its just a copyright, an acknowledgement nothing more.  As long as its on the site it can be as small as can be visible to the naked eye, as long as we can see it its ok :P

Dannii

QuoteAll copyright notices within source files and as generated by the Software as output are retained, unchanged.
It says that it must be displayed unchanged.

Consider yourselves lucky that we allow you to change the CSS at all.
"Never imagine yourself not to be otherwise than what it might appear to others that what you were or might have been was not otherwise than what you had been would have appeared to them to be otherwise."

Leipe Po

i agree with eldacar,

its a small effort to show a link to the site of the creator, so just dont whine and b*tch about it,
leave as is, or make it larger, but dont try to hide it, cause that would really piss some people off,
especcialy the copyright od RC2 is verry basic and minimum.....
There is only one thing more importend to me then coding:
My Girlfriend

Microsoft - "You've got questions.  We've got dancing paperclips."

ruzster

So, umm.... The CMS idea is dead then?

Harzem

lordmenace

Please don't let this die. Maybe this could be integrated with Bloc's TinyPortal.

roxpace

Nothing dies :)

And it's pretty easy to make a well working CMS which works as platform for forums, blogs, article- and newssystem, versionmanager, documentmanager, usermanager and mailing list functions.

Since SMF have already the base of this, why not add the rest ?  It will go fast and make it unbelievable popular if it just is made with future proof stamp, like easier module management for all functions and more... The fantasy have no limit :)

I need to add this, you may ask me why do you say its easy ?  If so why not do it yourself ?  Well, I has constructed seven different CMS / document / publicationsystems until this date, never for opensource, only commercial purposes. Thats why I say a such thing. But someone needs to initial a such project first at SMF before it can be reality since we normal "users/developers" have nothing to say or contribute with since there are no CVS available to the public to give example of better development branch alternatives.
Always keep an eye on the latest from me at ...
http://www.jump-gate.com/

Harzem

Quote from: roxpace on May 20, 2006, 07:32:49 AM

And it's pretty easy to make a well working CMS which works as platform for forums, blogs, article- and newssystem, versionmanager, documentmanager, usermanager and mailing list functions.

Since SMF have already the base of this, why not add the rest ?  It will go fast and make it unbelievable popular if it just is made with future proof stamp, like easier module management for all functions and more... The fantasy have no limit :)

I need to add this, you may ask me why do you say its easy ?  If so why not do it yourself ?  Well, I has constructed seven different CMS / document / publicationsystems until this date, never for opensource, only commercial purposes. Thats why I say a such thing. But someone needs to initial a such project first at SMF before it can be reality since we normal "users/developers" have nothing to say or contribute with since there are no CVS available to the public to give example of better development branch alternatives.

Just wait about a month ;) It's on its way ;)

bloc

Quote from: roxpace on May 20, 2006, 07:32:49 AM

I am sure people would work with you and show some examples etc there. But if you go into this having never developed for open source/free you have to be aware that a lot will depend on yourself. If you have the will and drive, it will happen. If not, well nobody can do it for you.

And that goes for everyone proposing to start on such a project - in this topic and elsewhere: don't wait for "another" one to start something, it will never happen then.

lordmenace, TinyPortal is never going to be a fullfledged CMS for SMF, it will always rely on SMF to run. But as its progressing now, I think it can useful as a SMF addon. ;)

Advertisement: