News:

Wondering if this will always be free?  See why free is better.

Main Menu

Stop Spammer

Started by M-DVD, December 31, 2008, 07:31:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Arantor

SMF 1.1 does not have verification questions built in.

SD-X

Quote from: Arantor on February 11, 2013, 03:49:58 PM
SMF 1.1 does not have verification questions built in.
Ah, thank you. :)

Herman's Mixen

You can use Solved Media as an solution for 1.1.x also its an solution for 2.x ;)

Register at their site for the API's
Met vriendelijke groet, The Burglar!

House Mixes | Mixcloud | Any Intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent.
It takes a touch of genius - and a lot of courage - to move in the opposite direction. - Albert Einstein

Former Godfather of our dutch community ;)

Kindred

questions do not exist in SMF 1.1.x unless you added the mod.
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Angie on Dialysis

Quote from: Kindred on February 11, 2013, 04:46:31 PM
questions do not exist in SMF 1.1.x unless you added the mod.
That is why I use Anti-Spam Verification Questions for SMF 1.1.7 and it seems to have worked well .. but I also use Stop Spammer as well as HttpBL mod..

thurmag

We would like to re-install StopSpammer on our SMF website... but I see that version SMF 1.1.18 is not available anywhere for the newer SMF version.  Is there a different version of this I can install?  We had at one time StopSpammer version 2.3.7 installed.  Thanks for any help you can provide.

-Gary-

DarkAngel612

Quote from: thurmag on March 13, 2013, 04:35:38 PM
We would like to re-install StopSpammer on our SMF website... but I see that version SMF 1.1.18 is not available anywhere for the newer SMF version.  Is there a different version of this I can install?  We had at one time StopSpammer version 2.3.7 installed.  Thanks for any help you can provide.

-Gary-

version 2.3.9 has both 1.1+ and 2.0+ installer info inside the one zip. I have this one installed in our 2.0 and 1.1.8 forums
Fantasy Attic ::  Fantasies Realm Market :: SMF 2.0+ with various mods and TinyPortal

SD-X

Quote from: DarkAngel612 on March 13, 2013, 06:25:38 PM

-Gary-

version 2.3.9 has both 1.1+ and 2.0+ installer info inside the one zip. I have this one installed in our 2.0 and 1.1.8 forums
Appears the mod's compatibility list here on SMF's site is outdated unfortunately. Glad to hear that you confirmed it was compatible. :)

On a side note, how come you guys aren't on the latest version of SMF 1 yet? There are several serious security issues that have been fixed since your versions. I would highly recommend you get fully updated.

DarkAngel612

oh and I forgot that I updated the mod to the latest 2.5.1 and it does work in both versions...love it. But if you want to have them answer questions when registering you will need to upgrade to version 2.0.4 of SMF
Fantasy Attic ::  Fantasies Realm Market :: SMF 2.0+ with various mods and TinyPortal

Maniaka

No work on last version SMF

SD-X

Quote from: Maniaka on March 17, 2013, 02:39:01 PM
No work on last version SMF
It does. You have something else preventing you from installing it.

Kindred

works fine on SMF 2.0.4. I have it running on 6 sites and just installed it into a new site.
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

palik

Hi,

this mod is fantastic, but I'd like to ask a feature for forum owners, that have several hundred or thousand users that was registered before installing this mod. for now i have to click thru 96 pages of members and this is a lot of work. It would be great if we could "check all users" and then "remove red users" :)
hxxp:shadowrun.rpg.pl [nonactive] Serwis RPG

SD-X

Quote from: palik on March 19, 2013, 08:00:25 AM
Hi,

this mod is fantastic, but I'd like to ask a feature for forum owners, that have several hundred or thousand users that was registered before installing this mod. for now i have to click thru 96 pages of members and this is a lot of work. It would be great if we could "check all users" and then "remove red users" :)
Any users caught as spammers should automatically require admin validation, so those will be moved to the same location as previously, from which you can do a "remove all" via the checkboxes. As for checking all of them, unfortunately this is a limitation on the spam database's end. They only allow so many connections at a time, so doing it any other way would effectively "DoS" them with an overload of queries at one time. I agree that it sucks that we can't do a simple "check all users" method in the mod, but it's for the safety of the beloved spam database that this awesome mod works with. Remember that the mod also does username matches too, so not everyone in red is necessarily a spammer. You should always review all the users you plan to delete before you actually delete them. :)

thurmag

Quote from: DarkAngel612 on March 13, 2013, 06:25:38 PM

-Gary-

Thanks for the info... I'll give this a shot!

-Gary-

gfmorris

I am quite the fan of this plugin, as it saves me lots of time.  I do have one request that should be reasonably easy to make.  With a setting, allow an administrator to have the program deny any sort of registration if both email and IP are shown as bad in SFS.  I can get 300+ bad registrations a day, and 80%+ have both as bad.  It would be very helpful to not have to wade through all of those and spend my time looking at the ones that might not be spam.

GFM

Kindred

I would suggest that if you are getting 300+ spam registrations a day, that you need to implement some additional layers of protection.

I barely get one or two registrations flagged as spam in a MONTH any more.
Bad behavior+HttpBL, stop Spammer and the SMF questions...
Слaва
Украинi

PopUpSteve

Quote from: Kindred on April 08, 2013, 07:42:44 AM
I would suggest that if you are getting 300+ spam registrations a day, that you need to implement some additional layers of protection.
Really, or try something like notCaptcha. It will stop all those nasty spam-bots.  ;D

You need a 1-2 punch to stop all those the spam registrations.
Steve
"Even a broken clock is right twice a day, unless it's digital."

busterone

Quote from: gfmorris on April 08, 2013, 12:30:48 AM
I am quite the fan of this plugin, as it saves me lots of time.  I do have one request that should be reasonably easy to make.  With a setting, allow an administrator to have the program deny any sort of registration if both email and IP are shown as bad in SFS.  I can get 300+ bad registrations a day, and 80%+ have both as bad.  It would be very helpful to not have to wade through all of those and spend my time looking at the ones that might not be spam.

GFM
A good set of registration questions will stop the bots dead in their tracks. Make sure it isn't some easy to google question, or some simple ones like what color is an orange.  It is better to make them pertain to your forum's niche that only prospective human members could answer. 

NeonFlash

Hi,

I am facing a problem with the Stop Spammer mod version 2.3.9 after upgrading my SMF Forum to the latest version 2.0.4

Previously the Stop Spammer mod was working good for me.

Now the problem I face is, after installing the Stop Spammer mod, it is unable to connect to the Stop Forum Spam DB, the error is as shown below:

"Mod Stop Spammer is ON but there is no connection just now with Stop Forum Spam. Please try later."

What could be the possible reasons and how do I fix this?

Is there a more recent version of the Stop Spammer mod that I need to install? I checked the following URL:

http://custom.simplemachines.org/mods/index.php?mod=1547

and it still says, that the latest version of 2.3.9

Any help would be appreciated. I have disabled the registrations on my Forum to prevent any Spammers from registering here.

Advertisement: