News:

Wondering if this will always be free?  See why free is better.

Main Menu

Having problems with the package manager?

Started by [Unknown], February 20, 2005, 12:32:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

IchBin™

IchBin™        TinyPortal

[Unknown]

Quote from: eldacar on March 19, 2005, 01:25:57 AM
This could fix my problems. Do we delete the file once we've run it? and do we just put it in the root forum directory? or in sources or something

I do suggest you delete it afterward; I wouldn't want this to become a possible (however unlikely) security problem.

-[Unknown]

Dannii

I ran this, but it didn't seem to do anything. It came up saying that the SMF detected FTP address was wrong, and what the correct one was. Is that all it does? should I change the directory somewhere in the admin settings? I've also tried installing a mod i've downloaded, but it's still coming up with the same SAFE mode error.
"Never imagine yourself not to be otherwise than what it might appear to others that what you were or might have been was not otherwise than what you had been would have appeared to them to be otherwise."

[Unknown]

Did you run it again with the detected path?

-[Unknown]

tapirul

hi all,

I tried to install some mods; I got pass the step where it tryes to change the permissions for some files, and asks "proceed". I click that I I get this:
Quote2: copy(SSI.php~): failed to open stream: Permission denied
File: /nfs/raven/u2/d/dogaruc/public_html/tapirul/Sources/Subs-Package.php
Line: 1285

[Unknown]

Please chmod the directory SMF is in (e.g. forum) to 777.

How do I use chmod?

-[Unknown]

tapirul

toontastic

Looks like this is the thread for me. I'm trying to install a fair few mods on my board. I'll use the quick reply box mod as an example. Ok I've gone into Package Manager click apply mod next to the mod I want. I then get a screen

QuotePackage Manager - Install Actions
Install Actions for archive enhanced_qr.tar.gz:
Installing this package will perform the following actions:  Type Action Description

1. Execute Modification ./Themes/default/Display.template.php Success

Underneath this it says

QuoteFTP Information Required
Some of the files this package needs to modify are not writable. This needs to be changed by logging into FTP and chmoding the files. 

I've left it as local host and at the port cause that's the same port I use when I FTP. I've entered my username and password details and pressed Proceed. The screen the disappears and the exact same screen then comes up again. Can't see any obvious errors anywhere on the screen.

I've tried to CHMOD 777 the forum and that hasn't worked. What am I missing ??

HEB XI 1

I have SMF 1.0.2 installed.  When trying to patch 1.0.3 from the package manager, I got an error (all the actions showed as successful on the install checklist):

2: fopen("/<root>/community/Sources/News.php", "w") - Permission denied
File: /<root>/community/Sources/Subs-Package.php
Line: 1454

I ran fix_ownership and got this:

Write this down!
In some cases, SMF 1.0.x does not detect your FTP path correctly. This tool has successfully used the (possibly detected) path below. You may wish to write this down, and make sure to use it when installing mods.

/httpdocs/community

This problem should be resolved in the next major release of SMF.

Thank you.

Now, when I went back to the package manager to apply the mod, I get failures on changelog.txt, index.php, Admin.php, ManageMembers.php and Calendar.php.

I have my SMF and Sources folders at 777 ... have also tried 755 and get the same error (I read somewhere that sometimes that works if you have issues with 777).  Any ideas?

patrick

Bypassed the Safe_mode.
It takes some time but ik worked for me

- At 1st safe mode error : go with ftp client to the packages folder
- delete the temp folder
- create temp folder an chmod it to 777
- go back to page, click on REFRESH PAGE
- repeat this at al safe mode errors.

With de permission denieds, find the files and chmod them manualy.
( or do a complete chmod to you're site  ::))

took me 10 minutes to upgrade to 1.0.3.

toontastic

Quote from: patrick on March 30, 2005, 04:41:54 PM

Well I've managed to get 1.0.3 by downloading it from here uploading it using FTP and then running upgrade.php but I'm still having problems with the mods. The mod Lots_o_Smileys installed no bother at all however the rest are now giving me failures. I've tried CHMODing the forum folder and that hasn't worked. The main folders (themes, packages, attachments etc) are all CHMOD 777 but it still isn't working. Any ideas what I'm missing ?

[Unknown]

Quote from: hebxi1 on March 29, 2005, 09:28:03 AM
2: fopen("/<root>/community/Sources/News.php", "w") - Permission denied
File: /<root>/community/Sources/Subs-Package.php
Line: 1454

Are you certain the Sources/News.php file is 777?  It should be.

Remember, chmodding a folder isn't the same as chmodding its contents.  You have to select all the files and do it.

-[Unknown]

unfluffybunny

tried everything written in this thread multiple times and i get the
Quote2: fopen(): SAFE MODE Restriction in effect. The script whose uid is 32280 is not allowed to access /home/unfluffy/public_html/Forums/Packages/temp/displaymembername owned by uid 99
File: /home/unfluffy/public_html/Forums/Sources/Subs-Package.php
Line: 1476

:(

Dannii

Now with patrick's method i can install mods yaY! Its slow but it works. Thanks for your help
"Never imagine yourself not to be otherwise than what it might appear to others that what you were or might have been was not otherwise than what you had been would have appeared to them to be otherwise."

Oldiesmann

Quote from: unfluffybunny on April 02, 2005, 12:26:08 PM
tried everything written in this thread multiple times and i get the
Quote2: fopen(): SAFE MODE Restriction in effect. The script whose uid is 32280 is not allowed to access /home/unfluffy/public_html/Forums/Packages/temp/displaymembername owned by uid 99
File: /home/unfluffy/public_html/Forums/Sources/Subs-Package.php
Line: 1476

:(

SAFE MODE is an annoying "security" feature in PHP that prevents scripts from accessing files/folders that don't have the same UID. Unfortunately, the package manager currently doesn't work with Safe Mode enabled. You will have to install the package manually.
Michael Eshom
Christian Metal Fans

Gidget

Quote from: patrick on March 30, 2005, 04:41:54 PM
Bypassed the Safe_mode.
It takes some time but ik worked for me

- At 1st safe mode error : go with ftp client to the packages folder
- delete the temp folder
- create temp folder an chmod it to 777
- go back to page, click on REFRESH PAGE
- repeat this at al safe mode errors.

Just wanted to thank you Patrick for these instructions  :D

I've just successfully upgraded to 1.0.3 with Safe Mode enabled.

I did get stuck for a while when I would CHMOD a file and it would just reject it again - then I found from another post (thanks [Unknown]) that if I also CHMOD'd the directory that the file resided in, it all came good and I could move onto fixing the permissions of the next file  ;)

All this might seem like a little victory to you gurus, but to a Noob like me it was great to be able to work through the issues myself and successfully install the upgrade.

Cheers

Gidget

Oldiesmann

Michael Eshom
Christian Metal Fans

toontastic

Any ideas about my problem lads and lasses ?

toontastic

Just to add to this, two packages have now installed the quick reply and smilies however the rest are not becomming completly successful. It seems to be when extracting files and executing code. So for example when trying to install the warningv_1.21.tar.gz package it is successfull with all Execute Modifications but when extracting files from ./Sources/ and ./Themes/ and when trying to Execute Code from VisualWarningPdb.php I do not getting success. Any ideas ?

Oldiesmann

Don't know what to tell you about execution, but the other two are probably due to improper CHModding on those folders (they need to be 777).
Michael Eshom
Christian Metal Fans

Advertisement: