News:

SMF 2.1.4 has been released! Take it for a spin! Read more.

Main Menu

Having problems with the package manager?

Started by [Unknown], February 20, 2005, 12:32:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

meadwench

I'm running 1.05, just upgraded a few hours ago. Like all the upgrades, it went fine, no errors. The forum works ok, except for the chatmod, which doesn't and hasn't worked since 1.0. And the package manager is no longer showing the chat mod as installed, so I can't uninstall it either. I don't suppose there's an easy way to find and remove the added code in the SMF files? That should solve the errors below, but I'm still unable to add mods using the package manager. Details and readouts below.

I'm getting the following errors in the error log:
=========
http://www.gotmead.com/smf/index.php 
8: Undefined index: chatStats
File: /hsphere/local/home/meadwenc/gotmead.com/smf/Themes/yabbsetheme/BoardIndex.template.php (eval?)
Line: 278

8: Undefined index: chatAlt
File: /hsphere/local/home/meadwenc/gotmead.com/smf/Themes/yabbsetheme/BoardIndex.template.php (eval?)
Line: 282

8: Undefined index: chatAlt
File: /hsphere/local/home/meadwenc/gotmead.com/smf/Themes/yabbsetheme/MessageIndex.template.php (eval?)
Line: 244
==============

I started getting these after upgrading to 1.0. I went into the package manager, and the chatroom, which *was* installed and working, no longer works, nor is it showing installed. I tried to reinstall, no luck. I found all the additional files, and removed them, but don't know where to take out code in the standard files, and can't find 'chatAlt' *anywhere*, and I've searched every file in the forum. Meanwhile, I cannot get any package to install in the package manager, cannot reach any of the package download sites, getting an error of 'Unable to connect to the server. Please try using this URL instead.'

I downloaded and ran the fix_ownership file, and got the following:
===========
The connection has been opened.
Received: 220-UNAUTHORIZED ACCESS FORBIDDEN
Received:
Received: * This system may not be used for purposes not directly related to your web site's operation.
Received: * Any account found with IRC clients, bots, bouncers, or daemons will be immediately suspended.
Received: * Attempts to compromise system integrity or security will probably be noticed.
Received: * Ignorance of the Acceptable Use Policy/Terms of Service is not a valid excuse.
Received:
Received: Thank you for your attention
Received:
Received: 220 ProFTPD 1.2.10rc3 Server (Main FTP Server) [unix.hsphere.cc]
Sending: USER xxxxxxxx
Received: 331 Password required for xxxxxxxx.
Sending: PASS ****
Received: 230 User xxxxxxxx logged in.
Sending: CWD gotmead.com/smf
Received: 250 CWD command successful
Sending: SITE CHMOD 6777 attachments
Received: 200 SITE CHMOD command successful
Sending: SITE CHMOD 6777 avatars
Sending: SITE CHMOD 6777 Packages
Sending: SITE CHMOD 6777 Packages/installed.list
Sending: SITE CHMOD 6777 Packages/server.list
Sending: SITE CHMOD 6777 Smileys
Sending: SITE CHMOD 6777 Themes
Sending: SITE CHMOD 6777 agreement.txt
Sending: SITE CHMOD 6777 Settings.php
Sending: SITE CHMOD 6777 Settings_bak.php
================

However, I cannot install packages, and cannot uninstall packaged that were there before 1.0.  Any ideas?

Thanx
Vicky Rowe
Health and Weight Loss Coach
http://www.hcgloss.com
SMF 2.0 RC3, Joomla 1.5.8

fozzy

Good Day all :)

sitched recently from phpBB to SMF and am very happy about the configurability of the SMForum :)
Only problem is with the package manager... tried installin Online Users but with no luck.
fix_ownership doesn't work because it's a windows server, i always get file_exists() errors whatever type of mod i upload by hand oir by package manager.
In the end i tried installing the mod by hand... at that point my forum was an empty webpage...  :-X
("Good backups, good backups" *pat pat*)

Any help would be appreciated. :)

Luca

papabill

I'm running SMF v.1.0.5 on a Windows 2000 machine.  With my eyesight nearly gone, I was hoping to get the package manager to work, but regardless of what package I try to upload, I get the following error:
QuoteAn Error Has Occurred!
The package you are trying to download or install is either corrupt or not compatible with this version of SMF. 

Every package, from every package server gives me the same error.

Ideas?? Solutions?  Everything else seems to work o.k.
Computer Help available:
Computer help: $52.00 hr.
Computer help while you watch: $92.00 hr.
Computer help with your advice: $152.00 hr
Computer help with your assistance: $252.00 hr

JRSofty

Running 1.0.5 also and I can't even access the package servers. When I attempt a download the PHP 4.4.0 fix it gives me the same error as papabill.

Rebooting the SMF AI Bot see Project link below for details

http://jrsofty1.stinkbugonline.com
http://www.galahtech.org

SMF Bot Project

papabill

Quote from: papabill on July 18, 2005, 09:11:15 PM
I'm running SMF v.1.0.5 on a Windows 2000 machine.  With my eyesight nearly gone, I was hoping to get the package manager to work, but regardless of what package I try to upload, I get the following error:
QuoteAn Error Has Occurred!
The package you are trying to download or install is either corrupt or not compatible with this version of SMF. 

Every package, from every package server gives me the same error.

Ideas?? Solutions?  Everything else seems to work o.k.

I found out that I can download the mods manually and put them in the Packages directory.

However, I get the "FTP Information Required" error.  "Some of the files this package needs to modify are not writeable.  This needs to be changed by logging into FTP and chmoding the files"

I'm not running Linux or Unix, my ENTIRE forum directory is not READ ONLY, and besides that, I HAVE NO FTP.  SO, regardless what I do, it doesn't work.

Ideas??  Suggestions??
Computer Help available:

[Unknown]

On a Windows server, you'll need to contact your host to make files writable.

-[Unknown]

NOS ChromeNut

Thank you for these forums, the hints and tips are invaluable.  I had many of the issues I've seen here and the Chmod to 777, plus deleting a few tmp files, cleared all my issues, and since moving to 1.0.4 have not had anymore.  Now a couple weeks ago I upped to 1.0.5 and have a really odd looking problem, maybe this is the proper place to post this?

I don't see a way to upload an attachment here so I'll post this as a url, but if you would be so kind as to look at what I'm seeing in Package Manager and maybe give me some suggestions on how to resolve this?  I just noticed it today, but since going to 1.0.5 I can barely read the packages listed under New Packages, and can not d/l any of them.  I get Error On Page when I click on these packages. I know there are ways to d/l manually, that's not an issue, but in this case it tells me there's something either not working right with Package Manager, or with the location of these files.  The Package of the Moment - the 4.4.0 php compatibility update, that d/l and loaded just fine, even though you can't really see the file there (text color too close to background color).  I've changed my template from Helios_Multi to several others to see if it was a template issue and they all display the packages as shown in my url example.

Regards,
Chromenut
http://www.hugginsnet.com/squadnos/forums

[Unknown]

That's only a temporary problem.  I'll probably just hard code the darn color.

-[Unknown]

NOS ChromeNut

Quote from: [Unknown] on July 23, 2005, 09:39:05 PM
That's only a temporary problem.  I'll probably just hard code the darn color.

-[Unknown]

I figured as much. Thanks for the reply!!!

toonstruck

I'm trying to convert from IBF to SMF.  I've gotten all my users and posts converted.  However, the biggest downfall of SMF that I can find, is trying to put users in certain groups.  I'm hoping to see if one of the mods will correct this shortfall, but I cannot get package manager to work.

It keeps wanting me to enter my FTP information (I suppose to chmod files).  I've entered the correct info, and it just keeps coming back to that same page without reporting errors or fixing the problem.  The mod never gets installed.

I've tried manually going in and chmod'ing files to 777, but this isnt work either.  The problem descirbed above happens after manually trying to do this too...  I cannot get the mod installed.  Please help me..

Thanks

[Unknown]

Quote from: toonstruck on August 05, 2005, 12:40:16 PM
I'm trying to convert from IBF to SMF.  I've gotten all my users and posts converted.  However, the biggest downfall of SMF that I can find, is trying to put users in certain groups.  I'm hoping to see if one of the mods will correct this shortfall, but I cannot get package manager to work.

How do you mean?  Members are in three types of groups: the primary (displayed) group, a postgroup, and additional groups.  They are ALWAYS in at least one of the first two.

What is the problem you're having?  Please start new topics for new requests, though.

QuoteIt keeps wanting me to enter my FTP information (I suppose to chmod files).  I've entered the correct info, and it just keeps coming back to that same page without reporting errors or fixing the problem.  The mod never gets installed.

Are you entirely sure you're entering the correct path?  Please see my other posts in this topic regarding that.

-[Unknown]

papabill

Quote from: toonstruck on August 05, 2005, 12:40:16 PMIt keeps wanting me to enter my FTP information (I suppose to chmod files).  I've entered the correct info, and it just keeps coming back to that same page without reporting errors or fixing the problem.  The mod never gets installed.

I discovered that when I didn't follow instructions and create a directory it called for (as the instructions told me to do), it would also ask me for FTP information and nothing I put in would solve the situation-until I created that directory.
Computer Help available:

cyberstang5.0

Sorry if this was mentioned before in this post... I didn't read every page/post.

I'm getting when I try to install a package.  :(

2: fopen(): SAFE MODE Restriction in effect. The script whose uid is 32138 is not allowed to access /home/tssrac84/public_html/Forum/Packages/temp owned by uid 99
File: /home/tssrac84/public_html/Forum/Sources/Subs-Package.php
Line: 1476

Dannii

I've found that to install packages with the SAFE MODE restriction, I need to put the correct ftp pass and path in, and then create the pacakges/temp folder and set it to 777 twice. once before installing a mod, and then again after it's come up with the list of files and "SUCCESS" for all of them (hopefully), before clicking [proceed]. And that works fine :)
"Never imagine yourself not to be otherwise than what it might appear to others that what you were or might have been was not otherwise than what you had been would have appeared to them to be otherwise."

cyberstang5.0

Quote from: eldacar on August 16, 2005, 08:55:36 PM
I've found that to install packages with the SAFE MODE restriction, I need to put the correct ftp pass and path in, and then create the pacakges/temp folder and set it to 777 twice. once before installing a mod, and then again after it's come up with the list of files and "SUCCESS" for all of them (hopefully), before clicking [proceed]. And that works fine :)
I put the correct FTP info and changed the folder to 777 and it still doesn't work.  Is there anything else I can look at?  Can I turn safe-mode off?  If so, how do I do it?

¥

I've done everything -

I've set EVERYTHING in the entire world dealing with SMF to 777 - everything. Even changed the directory housing SMF to 777.

I ran the script provided at the start of the forum.

I've chown/chgrp EVERYTHING both to apache and to my own user.

It's always ended the same way - with the script timing out, set to 120 seconds even.

Fatal error: Maximum execution time of 120 seconds exceeded in /home/webadmin/starblogger.com/html/commons/Sources/Subs-Package.php on line 1156

I also tried to buy the script a new car, just to see if it might work - but I can't insert the car into the code. Maybe it wants a Ferrari, and not the Chevy.

I use Mambo on the same site and it installs components, templates, modules, etc. without any problem.

However, SMF will install templates - just not packages.

I just can't figure this thing out.

Juggler

Slightly different but packages related. Just went to install a new package today but when I click on packages from the admin utility menu I get a TCP/IP connection error as if the page doesn't exist! Now I've had a friend check the sources dir and the packages.php file IS there but I can't open the page and when I've checked by other forum the same thing happened. Now every other menu option opens fine and if I put the direct path to the other parts of the package section I can open the pages OK just not the main package page. Also went onto the detailed version check page and all the links for more detailed info work apart from packages which has no link for more details!

Is this likely to be an SMF issue or a problem at the hosts end?
The Blue Buzzards
Flying Scooter Display Team
#69 Squadron
www.bluebuzzards.com

Juggler

I really need some help with this as no one has responded to any of my requests for help either here or on the hosts site. When I use Firefox and click on packages in the admin section all I get is "This file contains no data". I've reloaded the packages.php file into the sources directory with no luck and I am leaning towards a webhosts issue rather than SMF but I could do with a few pointers to get me stsrted.

Cheers
The Blue Buzzards
#69 Squadron
www.bluebuzzards.com

NOS ChromeNut

Quote from: Juggler on August 21, 2005, 04:08:17 PM
I really need some help with this as no one has responded to any of my requests for help either here or on the hosts site. When I use Firefox and click on packages in the admin section all I get is "This file contains no data". I've reloaded the packages.php file into the sources directory with no luck and I am leaning towards a webhosts issue rather than SMF but I could do with a few pointers to get me stsrted.

Cheers

I'll check this out on my site and see if it's related to Firefox or not. I just started using Firefox and haven't uploaded any packages since changing to it, but I'll give it a try.  Are you using a theme? If so, what theme, and I'll set up my test site with that theme to see what it does...

Juggler

Thanks but I am beginning to lean towards hosts rather than SMF now as I've found an SQL database sitting on my account that isn't mine. They've just purchased a new server and moved accounts onto it this week and the package manager was working fine until this morning!

So it all seems to point to some sort of server issue, it's just dead weird that the ONLY link that doesn't work is Packages - I even managed to open the browse package link by inputting the exact path and voila, but I can't install any packages now as I can't open that first package page.

Grrrr....
The Blue Buzzards
#69 Squadron
www.bluebuzzards.com

Advertisement: