News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

Mailing Problems with SMF 2 Beta 4 public

Started by Pratt, October 02, 2008, 11:25:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pratt

Hi Guys!

I Havent got much luck sending "bulk mails" with SMF 2.0 beta 4. In fact, since beta 3 came out, I am unable to send newsletters or such.
I am using the default php option.

My main problem is that, when sending newsletters with beta 4, only the first 5 (or so) mails get send, the rest are "aborted". If I send a newsletter and then "run" to check the Mail-Queue, I always get an empty mail-queue. My forum has almost 900 users, so I think its almost imposible to send 900 mails in less than 20 seconds. I Checked the error log, but nothing appears in it.

To clear things up. I do get emails notifications when recieving a PM, and sometimes I get Daily Notificactions of boards im subscribed In.
And to put a cherry on top of this Problem: I have another forum with SMF 1.1.6 on the same server and mailing works just fine. I can send newsletters and everyone gets them.

Any Ideas?

greyknight17

Is there an email limit from your webhost? Try limiting the number of emails sent out per hour in the mail settings.

Otherwise, give SMTP a try to see if it can send out all your emails.

Pratt

Hi!!
Thanks for the reply!

I tried via SMTP before but ive been unable to get that working, so im stuck with the default phpmail :(
I think my problem with SMTP is that my host requires some special authentication option.

One thing I just noticed with the phpmail option, is that if I write the email addresses in the "advanced" dialog, the Mail queue gets populated and the emails get send. However, if I select the groups I want to send the newsletter, it doesnt work :(

ekfaysal

the same problm hapning with me
so i m also looking for solution

SpectroPro

This had me worried, as I send out news via the mass mail..  I just tried, and seems to be working perfectly..  I have 80 members in my list, and my mail queue has 80 in it...  So at least for me, it's working just fine...

I keep refreshing, and it is sending the emails...  I also use the php method, though, smtp works fine for me as well...
Stats:  SMF v. 2b4  -  Mambo v4.65  -  Bridge v2.0b1

http://www.therealityrocks.com    http://forum.therealityrocks.com/trr
- Greg

shumilica

I have the same problem as pratt only that the email gets to something like first 100, and after that nothing more.
Informations:
I upgraded from 1.1.3 (i think) to 2.0.3.1 .
I had many modifications before upgrading (i was forced to upgrade by the hosting company because the forum generated error logs in their servers that had 3 GB each, and there where hundreds).
The notifications for PMs, topic reply and new topic works correctly.
I observerd that email for registration aren't send (not even in bulk/spam), so i set to register directly, not confirming the email.
I have 4200 users.

Pratt, if you upgraded too, lets compare the list of the modifications we had before upgrading. and see what modifications we have in common. This is my list:

1. View Only Boards 1.0
2. SMF 1.0.9 and 1.1 RC3-1 Security Patch 1.0.8/1.1 RC3 
3. Topic description 1.1  
4. Global Announcements 1.0 
5. SMF 1.0.11 / 1.1.3 Update 1.1 
6. Recent posts user preference 2.1 
7. ShowTopics 1.1   
8. Password Protect Boards 0.2 
9. Board Notes 1.0.7 
10. SMF 1.1.1 Update Package 1.1.1  
11. SMF 1.0.11 / 1.1.3 Update 1.1 
12. Ignore user 1.3 
13. Old Skool Quote and Code Boxes 1.0
14. Hide Who's Online 1.0 
15. Auto Embed Video/Audio Clips 3.0    
16. Custom Profile Field Mod 3.15   
17. SMF 1.1.1 Update Package 1.1.1  
18. Minimum Characters/Words Per Post 1.0.0 
19. SmileyLimit 1.0 
20. VisualWarning 1.41 
21. YouTube BBC Tag (XHTML Compliant) 1.0   
22. User Control Panel By Alan S 2.0.2   
23. SMF 1.0.9 and 1.1 RC3-1 Security Patch 1.0.8/1.1 RC3   
24. SMF Staff Page 1.3
25. SMF 1.0.13 / 1.1.5 / 2.0 b3.1 Update 1.0   
26. SMF 1.1.2 Update Package 1.1.2 
27. Popup PM Message - Uses The Same Window 1.1   
28. Who Voted What? 1.1.3 
29. Member Notepad 1.0 
30. GoEar BBCode by Mike Menendez 0.4 
31. View Single PM 1.3
32. DonationCoder.com SMF Search Enhancement Mod 1.1.8 
33. Users Online Today Mod 1.4.0  
34. Users Online Today 1.5.2  
35. Group Moderators 1.4 
36. SMF 1.0.12 / 1.1.4 / 2.0 b1.1 Update 1.0
37. Ignore Boards 2.0.1 
Today, if you're not confused it means you're not thinking clear!

greyknight17

shumilica, your host may have an email limitation per hour. Go into the mail settings tab and adjust the number accordingly or ask your host to increase the limit (if they will).

wakewatcher

I'm having a similar issue with 2b4.  When new members register I must approve them.  When I do I ask it to send an email which it does.  When a member asks for notification on a topic they have started it seems to work.  However if a member asks for notifications for all new messages on the board it works about 1 out of 10 times for any new topic.  I asked my host provider and the email limit is 300/hour.  Right now I'm not really active and I'm the only one testing things and as I said I get about 1 out of 10.  I wish, in addition, to the mail Q there was a "this is what I (smf) thought I sent list"  then at least I would know that smf thought it sent the stuff.  By the time I get to the mail Q it is always 0 as if nothing to left to send.  Which is probably the case as I'm just testing one post at a time to one member.  I got to figure this out because I'm transitioning 300 users from the MSN groups which is closing down to an smf forum.  Right now the members are not using it because notifications aren't working.  Sigh....

Update: I think I know what was happening.  I had Notifications set to "Instantly but only on first on read"  Turns out after about 10 tries I go to the board to see what's happening and of course then triggering a visit.  So (obviously) by setting the notification to the correct setting of "Instantly" it seems to be working as advertised.
smf 2.0.18

greyknight17

Glad that issue is sorted out wakewatcher.

Pratt, is this issue resolved? If so, you may change your message icon in the first post to a checkmark.

shumilica

I forgot to mention that after a small amount of email sent correctlly after that it will send, sporadically or all of them, blank emails.
I just received a complaint from a user who's birthday is now that he received a blank email (wich i suppoase it was the birthday mail sent automatic). The notifications mail works flowless (for pms, topics and posts). I have beta 3.1
Today, if you're not confused it means you're not thinking clear!

greyknight17

shumilica, did you try setting the mail options to limit the emails sent per hour? Try setting a limit to see if the emails will all get sent. If you still have problems, open up a new topic for it instead of posting in this one to avoid confusion between multiple users posts.

Advertisement: