Who's Online - status ??? nothing - or nothing you can see..... ????

Started by sck, January 10, 2009, 12:50:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sck

I was checking the Who's Online on my forum and there was one guest that had the comment "nothing - or nothing you can see....."  I have never seen this comment before and was wondering if it was someone trying to hack the forum.  I am the only admin for the site and there are no new errors logged. 

Can anyone explain this status?

SlammedDime

It can happen when an action does not have a 'who' variable set for it, so since SMF doesn't know what section of the board they're in, that is displayed.  This normally occurs with mods that haven't setup the 'who' variable for their action.
SlammedDime
Former Lead Customizer
BitBucket Projects
GeekStorage.com Hosting
                      My Mods
SimpleSEF
Ajax Quick Reply
Sitemap
more...

sck

These are the mods I have installed:

1. SMF 1.0.13 / 1.1.5 / 2.0 b3.1 Update 1.0   
2. Visual Verification Options 0.5   
3. reCAPTCHA for SMF 0.9.5   
4. SMF 1.0.14 / 1.1.6 Update 1.0   
5. SMF 1.0.15 / 1.1.7 Update 1.0   

So the way I read your comment is that it is nothing to worry about.

thanks for the reply

swyl

QuoteNothing, or nothing you can see...

1.     SMF 1.0.14 / 1.1.6 Update     1.0     
2.    Visual Verification Options    0.5.2    
3.    YouTube BBCode    2.4    
4.    SMF 1.0.15 / 1.1.7 Update    1.0

I'm lost, or should I say, one of my guests is.

I have just had to delete a tremendously long nasty spam post too.  :'(

swyl

I'm just bumping this thread incase it gets missed and updating my similar issue.

One of my regular users was in this "place/action" so I looked it up using your search and found this thread.

Following the post
Quote from: SlammedDime on January 10, 2009, 12:52:09 PM
It can happen when an action does not have a 'who' variable set for it, so since SMF doesn't know what section of the board they're in, that is displayed.  This normally occurs with mods that haven't setup the 'who' variable for their action.
I looked and realised that my mods (quoted above) are not imo places that a user can be.

Mick.

Not all mods have a "who" code written.

Thats why you get such message.   Nothing to worry about.   

swyl

Quote from: BlueDevil on January 14, 2009, 05:23:10 PM

Thats why you get such message.   Nothing to worry about.  

I already stated that none of the mods are places to "be" therefore the status doesn't apply to them.

eg a users status cannot be viewing the 1.1.7 update

swyl

Ok, so after having a re-think, there must be something in the smf software that my guests or indeeed myself can do that has no 'who' code written for it, therefore the status shows "nothing or nothing you can see..."

A bit strange that.  ;)

Mick.

Quote from: swyl on January 14, 2009, 07:31:40 PM
Quote from: BlueDevil on January 14, 2009, 05:23:10 PM

Thats why you get such message.   Nothing to worry about.   

I already stated that none of the mods are places to "be" therefore the status doesn't apply to them.

eg a users status cannot be viewing the 1.1.7 update

Yep.   It will not show guest or "member" viewing 1.1.7 update but it will on..

membermap
articles
links
tp module

You will get a "nothing - or nothing you can see." or a "unknown action" if the user or guest is reading a TP article block or viewing a php block and stuff like that.

swyl

QuoteTP article block or viewing a php block and stuff like that.
Forgive my lacking but what are these ?

I think maybe it would be nice if we can get an update for who codes on the parts that are missing.

Mick.

Quote from: swyl on January 14, 2009, 08:00:13 PM
QuoteTP article block or viewing a php block and stuff like that.
Forgive my lacking but what are these ?

I think maybe it would be nice if we can get an update for who codes on the parts that are missing.

That may never happen as not all mod makers will take time to add that to the mod.  Its nice but not nesecary.

A TP block is front page extension for SMF   www.tinyportal.net

Anyways,......this thread fixes some if not all issues regarding "where the user and/or guest" is in your forum.

http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=192529.msg1858544#msg1858544

swyl

Tiny Portal - is that for exporting certain sections of your forum to webpages and stuff ?

It would be good if the SMF team incorporate the rest of the who codes for mods they promote, into the next update.

Thanks for the replies Blue, much appreciated.  8)

SlammedDime

Quote from: swyl on January 14, 2009, 08:12:07 PM
Tiny Portal - is that for exporting certain sections of your forum to webpages and stuff ?

It would be good if the SMF team incorporate the rest of the who codes for mods they promote, into the next update.

It's not SMF's responsibility to code in the who information for mods... as we can't predict what mods will ever be made... it is the mod author's responsibility to do this if they so choose.
SlammedDime
Former Lead Customizer
BitBucket Projects
GeekStorage.com Hosting
                      My Mods
SimpleSEF
Ajax Quick Reply
Sitemap
more...

Mick.

Quote from: swyl on January 14, 2009, 08:12:07 PM

Get this clear....the SMF team have nothing to do with the mods authors make.   Only that im sure they test it before it can be approved or whatever else is involved.

Again,....there is no upgrade for that.   Its up to the mod author to make the mod visible in the "whos online" page.

So your best bet is,tell the mod authors of all your mods you installed in your forum to make it visible in the "whos online" page but i wouldnt hold my breath.

...and for TP,yes,you can do all that and it will serve as a front page for your forum to make it look like a website.

swyl

Hello SLAMMEDDIME

thanks for the reply but after a rethink, I am still a little confused on this matter.

I have listed above, the mods I am using and still maintain that those mods are not places a user or a moderator can be, can you please confirm this to be the case ? Those mods listed are:

1.     SMF 1.0.14 / 1.1.6 Update     1.0     
2.    Visual Verification Options    0.5.2   
3.    YouTube BBCode    2.4   
4.    SMF 1.0.15 / 1.1.7 Update    1.0

The only thing I can work out is that one of my users was on a part of the smf that isn't a mod and doesn't have a "who" code.

I'm not trying to stress anyone but as you can see, I am trying to explain why I am confused.

Much respects.

truei1

swyl, do you have an arcade or a gallery on your forum?

My members display the unknown action when they are in the gallery. It doesn't have a Who code.

It isn't anything to worry about. 

swyl

SlammedDime

swyl - I would perform the small modification in this topic: http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=192529.0

Then when you will be able to see exactly what action/subaction made the message appear and we can investigate further.
SlammedDime
Former Lead Customizer
BitBucket Projects
GeekStorage.com Hosting
                      My Mods
SimpleSEF
Ajax Quick Reply
Sitemap
more...

Mick.

Quote from: SlammedDime on January 19, 2009, 07:47:58 AM
swyl - I would perform the small modification in this topic: http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=192529.0

Then when you will be able to see exactly what action/subaction made the message appear and we can investigate further.

lol////i aready posted that link.   He should not worry at all if he sees such messages in who's online page.

swyl

Quotelol////

Well, I woke up again today to find my forum sql has disappeared, the thing doesn't even register as having 0 databases...

You can laugh.

I'm starting to wonder.

Mick.

Quote from: swyl on January 20, 2009, 03:25:51 AM
Quotelol////

Well, I woke up again today to find my forum sql has disappeared, the thing doesn't even register as having 0 databases...

You can laugh.

I'm starting to wonder.

You know?...... you have been running around like a chicken without a head.      Who cares if 99% of the mods here dont have a "who" code?  No need to worry,..its not nessesary to have.

The above link posted should fix some of it.  If you follow directions on it you should be ok.....

...cant make it work?,...forget about it.    AGAIN...... dont beat yourself if you see "unknown action" or "nothing to see here" etc.

Really,i dont know how many times we have to say the same thing over and over.

SlammedDime

Quote from: BlueDevil on January 20, 2009, 04:55:12 PM
Quote from: swyl on January 20, 2009, 03:25:51 AM
Quotelol////

You can laugh.

I'm starting to wonder.

You know?...... you have been running around like a chicken without a head.      Who cares if 99% of the mods here dont have a "who" code?  No need to worry,..its not nessesary to have.

The above link posted should fix some of it.  If you follow directions on it you should be ok.....

...cant make it work?,...forget about it.    AGAIN...... dont beat yourself if you see "unknown action" or "nothing to see here" etc.

Really,i dont know how many times we have to say the same thing over and over.
As he has been trying to say, he does NOT have any mods that should be giving that message, so he is curious what action in SMF they are doing to cause it.
SlammedDime
Former Lead Customizer
BitBucket Projects
GeekStorage.com Hosting
                      My Mods
SimpleSEF
Ajax Quick Reply
Sitemap
more...

mikemastercorp

I can confirm on SMF 2.0.3 that the tweak does not help much and it still appear. Not that it bothers me much, however it will be nice to know if any violent user is trying to achieve something against the other users/board, so that is why it is sort of nice and more of like mandatory to have that info.

I know some of you have said several times that it is nothing to worry about, however if a thing does not work properly, don't you guys think we should find a way to trick it instead of ignoring it? It sounds to me like this: Well, excuse me, I cannot register on your board... Well, Sir, there is nothing to worry about as you can still read the board despite the fact that you will not be able to do the other things that are for registered users only, but do not smash your head against a wall it is not a big deal.. :)

Now seriously, is there anybody who have tried this and can confirm it is woking for him on SMF 2.0.3 as few guys here have mentioned that should work for 2.0 RC3 or RC5, but the thing was left after what for some more than 120 days ;)

Arantor

QuoteI can confirm on SMF 2.0.3 that the tweak does not help much and it still appear.

The tweak won't prevent it, it was never about preventing it.

The reality is that users can and will do all kinds of crazy things in trying to break into a site, and if you have mods that are badly behaved that's another cause of 'unknown action'. You can't really do that much about it at all - especially if you uninstalled a mod, people might still be trying to use the links from it (e.g. search engines if it was content shown to guests)

QuoteI know some of you have said several times that it is nothing to worry about, however if a thing does not work properly, don't you guys think we should find a way to trick it instead of ignoring it?

It works exactly as designed. What would you have it do, exactly? If the action is *unknown*, it's *unknown*. You can't just pluck the answer out of nowhere, nor can you program for all possible actions because that would be a massive, massive list. All the actions that SMF itself knows about are programmed in. Any mods that add actions should declare them (but a lot don't, because they're essentially lazy)

Advertisement: