[Unknown]'s Guide to Installing PHP and MySQL.

Started by [Unknown], November 16, 2003, 03:40:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thunderace

firefox simply doesn't work (images all over the place)

IE gives the following error
Line: 5
Char: 3
Error: 'return' statement outside of function
Code: 0

Clicking admin I also get

Line: 255
Char: 5
Error: Object expected
Code: 0

[Unknown]

Quote from: Thunderace on October 03, 2004, 06:03:06 AM
I spoke too soon cookies still not working, no cookies are being copied to /tmp

Cookes?  /tmp?  This is for Windows :P.

-[Unknown]

allfripou

first of all many praise for your tutorial which really helped me a lot

I have encountered a problem there
QuoteConfiguring PHP - Apache

Go into the folder C:\Program Files\Apache Group\Apache\conf (or where ever you installed Apache.) and open up httpd.conf.  Search for #LoadModule mime_magic_module modules/mod_mime_magic.so and add just above it LoadModule php4_module "C:/Program Files/PHP/sapi/php4apache.dll".  Next search for AddModule mod_setenvif.c and add below it AddModule mod_php4.c.  Next, search for AddType application/x-tar .tgz and add below it AddType application/x-httpd-php .php

Whenever I put "dirname/PHP/sapi/php4apache.dll", Apache will not start. I had to copy the file upstairs and put  "dirname/PHP/php4apache.dll" instead.
After that all went smoothly.

reznorsoft

I wanted to have a go with this (for testing purposes) but ran into a small problem.
For this step in the guide ..
QuoteRight click on Default Web Site and open up Properties.  Click on the Home Directory tab, and change Execute Permissions to "Scripts only".  Next, select Configuration... click Add, and type the path to sapi\php4isapi.dll or php5isapi.dll - like "C:\Program Files\PHP\sapi\php4isapi.dll". (you can also browse for it.)  In extension, put .php

I cannot use '.php' as the extention because it already exists for C:\Program Files\PHP\php.exe
so I figured I'd be clever and use '.php4' as an extention and renamed the 'phpinfo' file with that extention .. but my browser returns a
QuoteThe specified module could not be found.
message.

Any recommendations?

[Unknown]

If you can't use .php, it means PHP is already installed in CGI mode.  What version of IIS is this?

-[Unknown]

reznorsoft

IIS version 5.1

problem may be that initially as I was going through your guide I used the php installer (not the zip folder) .. then I uninstalled and switched over
but after I uninstalled the only thing that was left over in the PHP folder was the backup files for the IIS server

what do you think?

[Unknown]

Quote from: reznorsoft on December 24, 2004, 10:04:48 PM
IIS version 5.1

problem may be that initially as I was going through your guide I used the php installer (not the zip folder) .. then I uninstalled and switched over
but after I uninstalled the only thing that was left over in the PHP folder was the backup files for the IIS server

what do you think?

Try copying the dll files to the system32 directory.

-[Unknown]

reznorsoft

Allright, thank you [Unknown]
That fixed it .. I copied the dll files to system32 and changed the path to point to the system32 folder

The Conspirator

I install Apache and php but when I test it it doesn't show anything, I did every thing you said except configure the C:\WINDOWS\Temp, my stystem uses NTFS but I doesn't have the Security tab on the file property's neather do I have "Use simple file sharing" in my folder options, I tried what you said above for Thunderace but it still doesn't work.
My OS is Windows XP home.

[Unknown]

Quote from: The Conspirator on April 13, 2005, 11:59:43 AM
I install Apache and php but when I test it it doesn't show anything, I did every thing you said except configure the C:\WINDOWS\Temp, my stystem uses NTFS but I doesn't have the Security tab on the file property's neather do I have "Use simple file sharing" in my folder options, I tried what you said above for Thunderace but it still doesn't work.
My OS is Windows XP home.

Home doesn't have the security options.

When you say you don't see anything, what do you mean?  Do you get anything at all, or just a "server cannot be found" error?

Have you restarted your computer?

-[Unknown]

Burpee

I don't mean to say something bad, but why doesn't he just install a pre-installed package that includes everything needed like phpdev?
It works perfectly for me, and I havent been able to get it working properly myself with this tutorial.

[Unknown]

Quote from: Burpee on April 13, 2005, 03:57:11 PM
I don't mean to say something bad, but why doesn't he just install a pre-installed package that includes everything needed like phpdev?
It works perfectly for me, and I havent been able to get it working properly myself with this tutorial.

There are more than a couple problems with that, and many such distributions give you absolutely no control over the versions of the software you're installing, which you usually want.

If you have used such a package, however, it may mean that you *won't* be able to follow the steps outlined in this topic or in the newer tutorial.

-[Unknown]

Burpee

Yes, but eventually the point is quite simply to have the possibility to test things locally, right?
So far it has served me perfectly in that.

The Conspirator

Quote from: [Unknown] on April 13, 2005, 02:46:16 PM
Home doesn't have the security options.
Don't have eather of the options.

When you say you don't see anything, what do you mean?  Do you get anything at all, or just a "server cannot be found" error?
Is completly blam, when I looked at the page sorce it just had the dcutype, html, head, tit, and  body tags and nothing els, nothin inbetwen them.

<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Transitional//EN"><html><head><title></title></head><body></body></html>

Have you restarted your computer?

-[Unknown]
Yes.

guppy

Hi [Unknown],

I'm stucked at installing PHP. To begin with, I have no idea which to download  :'(
I've already installed Apache sucessfully. I'm trying to install PHP 4.3.11 on windows xp pro. Which shld I download?

Complete Source Code
PHP 4.3.11 (tar.bz2)
PHP 4.3.11 (tar.gz)

Windows Binaries

PHP 4.3.11 zip package
PHP 4.3.11 installer

Thanks in advance

[Unknown]

guppy

thanks. shall try in awhile. strange i didn't get an email notification of ur reply  ???

edit: alright got smf up on my notebook  ;D clocked half a day tho'.. thanks [Unknown] for the guide. i also got help over the net for mysql and phpmyadmin installation.

Celtland

I have gotten the phpinfo.php file to show up and work properly.  However, I'm having a problem with MySQL.  From http://dev.mysql.com/downloads/mysql/4.1.html should I download Windows Essentials (x86) or Windows (x86)?  I did install v4.1.12 and it automatically launches into the Configuration Wizard?  Which options should I choose for the purposes of learning/testing php and MySQL?  I have a bit of C++ experience.  This, however, is all new to me.  Thanks for any assistance.

** Edit **

I apologize - I should have stated that I installed MySQL - the full version (not the essentials) v.4.1.12.  Also, when I attempt to view mysql_test.php I get a blank white page.
Is maith an scáthán súil carad.

A friends eye is a good mirror.

[Unknown]

Windows (full) is what you'll want.  And the default options should be fine.

Did you edit php.ini and remove the ; before the "extension=php_mysql.dll" line, if using PHP 5?

-[Unknown]

Advertisement: