SMF SSI Recent Topics module for Mambo and Joomla

Started by krick, January 22, 2009, 12:48:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

john.nordquist

Finally an SSI latest topics module!  Looks great but in my site it busts out of the theme and board template when you click a topic.  Th eodd part is that the url it sends is the same as if within SMF and does not bust out of the theme/css. 

Probably I'm not making sense...

www.dailykenoshan.com to see what I mean.. 

john.nordquist

Oops, I was wrong..

Looks like the module is not for wrapped or bridged versions.. my bad..

In SMF, the recent topic list looks for ItemID

hxxp:dailykenoshan.com/index.php [nonactive]?option=com_smf&Itemid=58&topic=53682.msg60190#new

The module is obviously for standalone and I didn't see that...
hxxp:dailykenoshan.com [nonactive]/smf/index.php?topic=53682.msg60189;topicseen#new

sorry.. 

Not much of a coder, but I'll try to modify it for (unlawfully)bridged implementation...

dellio

I have a problem following recent comments out of small box please help

Tanshaydar

Hi
My forum is ISO-8859-9 and my Joomla 1.5.x is UTF8.
When I try to use it, characters are broken. Any way to fix it?

krick

Quote from: Tanshaydar on December 02, 2009, 10:39:54 AM
Hi

I'm dealing with this problem myself.  I have Joomla 1.5 UTF-8 *AND*  SMF 1.1.11 UTF-8 and I'm still seeing the problem.

So far, the only fix I've come up with is wrapping the subject and user name with the utf8_encode() function like this...

utf8_encode( $post['subject'] )

and

utf8_encode( $post['poster']['link'] )

I hope this helps.

Tanshaydar

I fixed it with these kind of string encoder and replacer methods.
Thanks.

Frantix

Old topic but thought I'd ask one question... I'm doing a wrapper and while this works great, how would I include it to open inside the wrapper?  I'm killing the header of SMF and including the relevant items as Joomla menu items, which will work great but not if the SSI calls open in blank page. :( I read the code and I think I'm ready to create other modules that I want on the front page of Joomla but that's holding me back atm.  Thanks for this module tho, helps a great deal on doing the others. :)
Success breeds complacency. Complacency breeds failure. Only the paranoid survive. -Andy Grove

Kindred

opening smf inside the joomla/mambo wrapper is asking for trouble. The wrapper uses iframes, which means that the session data may not work
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Frantix

Thanks for the response Kindred.  Not what I hoped for since it would be nice to have things fit seamlessly with the Joomla template I'm moving to...may just look at converting to PHPBB since there are "sanctioned" bridges and completely integrated themes but I hate doing that after all these years on SMF.  :-\
Success breeds complacency. Complacency breeds failure. Only the paranoid survive. -Andy Grove

Kindred

personally, I have yet to find anything that Joomla does which one of the portal mods (or other mods) can not do internally to SMF.
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Hj Ahmad Rasyid Hj Ismail

I totally agree with Kindred. Portal Mods on SMF is much more better than Joomla/Mambo etc...

Frantix

I'm not lazy (or indicating that you think I'm lazy about things), I've done a lot of modifications and done a lot of work on just about every CMS and Blog ... I'm just wondering if you can you point me in the right direction?  I've been using SMF and Joomla for almost 5 years so I'm not being combative, I just have the old stuff working together and want some direction to something else... I have a Rockettheme membership that runs out soon that I've used for other sites and really like the theme I have chosen to update my radio station that's also 5 years old so even if there's a moderate fee, I'm fine with it... I just want to move in a direction that works well and I can give a seamless look to.  I'm using SMF Gallery, so that's a bonus for SMF and not having to sort things out and move 400 images to Gallery2 or something else.  I just want a nice clean, uniform look for the site that's been missing as well as adding the ability to something like an Amazon store in the future for the music I play.  BTW, the current site is www.radiovietnam.net [nofollow].

Thanks for any help you can provide. :)

BTW the site is using an old version but I've upgraded it to 1.11 and the current 2.0 versions on my test site so I know either version of SMF works fine other than re-adding the gallery (that I've not tried but is compatible) and I modified a theme from whenever to work with what I have on the site, so I'm not scared of CSS files or modifying code, I just don't want to make it a huge undertaking. :)

Kindred

Never thought you were lazy. :)

yes, I switched from Joomla/SMF/Gallery2  ... I am now using SMF with EZportal, SMF Articles and Aeva Media...
The best thing, IMO, is that it all works, cleanly with any SMF theme that I pick... allowing the users a choice of 4 different color combinations (whereas, with Joomla, I was fixed at a single theme, and that one required a fair amount of tweaking to show cleanly together)

http://www.40konline.com/community

Again, much of it is a matter of preference.

I think that Nao has the Avea Media on his site linked to paypal, because he controls the download of the zip file for his paid version of Avea Media through Aeva Media.

Слaва
Украинi

Frantix

Thanks for the reply, Kindred. I've been a bit busy so not had the chance to get back out here.  I'm taking a look at EZportal now.  The only thing I've not liked about a lot of the portal layout a  lot of times are very defined as left, center, right with the header bar the same (which I know are all restrictions of using the forum theme).  Obviously that's a cosmetic issue and not what's under the hood but the difficult part is sometimes the cosmetics. :)  I want a clean theme modern looking layout. 

I may have found one that I can work on changing the color scheme.  It actually looks good with EZportal and very smooth and flowing.  8)  So we'll see how that goes as well as the EZportal experiment for a few weeks.

bouza_marcos

OK... thanks a lot for this module... I was looking for ours and ours for a solid solution. I don´t want a bridge (cause it seems to wasn´t be live for a couples of YEARS) and that solution was perfect by now...

In other thing, can you tell me how we can load another instance of the module for (in ex) topBoards function, or for a login module that redirect to the forum url/folder....¿?¿?¿?¿?

It would be very usefull for us...

Thanks again... +10

Kindred

look at ssi_examples.php on your own site and make your own modules using the SSI functions.
Слaва
Украинi

fsoica

Quote from: krick on April 26, 2010, 04:54:10 PM
Quote from: Tanshaydar on December 02, 2009, 10:39:54 AM
Hi

I'm dealing with this problem myself.  I have Joomla 1.5 UTF-8 *AND*  SMF 1.1.11 UTF-8 and I'm still seeing the problem.

So far, the only fix I've come up with is wrapping the subject and user name with the utf8_encode() function like this...

utf8_encode( $post['subject'] )

and

utf8_encode( $post['poster']['link'] )

I hope this helps.

didn't work for me....
i also have I have Joomla 1.5 UTF-8 and SMF 1.1.13 UTF-8
any alternative ?

Advertisement: