News:

SMF 2.1.4 has been released! Take it for a spin! Read more.

Main Menu

Tiny Portal: Articles on the front page

Started by evolution88, January 25, 2009, 09:57:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

evolution88

Hi,

is it somehow possible to write like 2 articles and they are right next to each other, instead of on top of each other but in the center on the front page?

bloc

Yes, it is. By using the layout option D for frontpage they will line up next to each other - and also in 2 and 2 downwards depending on how many you set to show there.

evolution88

i did that under admincp -> tp settings -> front page

then created 2 blocks on front page and they still stack up?

bloc

Remember its a difference between showing just blocks and actually showing articles. If you want to use blocks, then use "frontpanel" layout settings to get them lined up.

evolution88

ooh i got it now, I was confused and was thinking that both are the same.

however, I did create two articles, both checked on "show on front page", have D selected, but it still shows it as A. I'm still doing something wrong and I can't figure out what

edit: works now, however, there seems to be something wrong with one of the quadrants i.e. screenshot

bloc

The left article? it seems to lack paddings..or does it get rendered wrong? Mind you, many errors are corrected in beta3, so this might vanish when it comes out. And yes, it will come out in jan/early feb. 2009. :)

evolution88

no not the left article, the article on the right bottom, see it?

can't wait for the new version to come out!

bloc

ah, I see.

Actually, its nothing wrong with it, the article just has be set to show without borders or background, only the titlebar is visible. you can turn off those things and lots more for total freedom in each article.

evolution88

Quote from: Bloc on January 26, 2009, 04:16:52 PM
ah, I see.

Actually, its nothing wrong with it, the article just has be set to show without borders or background, only the titlebar is visible. you can turn off those things and lots more for total freedom in each article.

ooh, damn, i didn't pay attention to that. works now, thanks bloc.

just one more thing, I want to make a menu on the left side, so that for example when you click on "history" in the menu, the user can see page or could it also be an article?

edit:

I can do that with the sitemap block and under add menu item?

also, can you put a limit on characters that will be shown on articles that are listed on the front page?

bloc

Yes, the menu manager can show a article, already palced for you in the list of options for the menu-item. "Add menu item" is correct yes. :)

A limit? well, yes, though you also have the option to use a shorter version of the text, called introtext. If you use that for a shorter version of the article you have more freedom on how it looks. Remember to check "use introtext" as well, then it will be used either on frontpage or in a article listing.Full article will show "bodytext" - but never both at the same time.

evolution88

Nr|Five

New here, so hi everyone! :)

Started using SMF with TinyPortal, so far so good. Trying to restructure the frontpage and can't seem to get the layout working.

Basicly I have the same problem as you evolution88, so I am really curious how you fixed it.

I selected layout B (tried D also) at TinyPortal -> Settings -> Frontpage

Then I added 3 blocks on the FrontPage (TinyPortal -> Block Manager), but they didn't show / stack as shown on the selected layout.

So what am I doing wrong here?

// Nr|Five

dotch

Quote from: Nr|Five on February 11, 2009, 06:57:06 AM

Started using SMF with TinyPortal, so far so good. Trying to restructure the frontpage and can't seem to get the layout working.

Basicly I have the same problem as you evolution88, so I am really curious how you fixed it.

I selected layout B (tried D also) at TinyPortal -> Settings -> Frontpage

Then I added 3 blocks on the FrontPage (TinyPortal -> Block Manager), but they didn't show / stack as shown on the selected layout.

So what am I doing wrong here?

I think it's a bug. I had the same problem this week. I created a new page (not the front page), which I linked from the menu's on my site. The page consists of a category with 2 articles (not blocks) in it.

Layout option A + B seem to be the same. When I choose one of these options, the second article below the first one is shown with half the width of the article above it.

However when I choose option C both articles are displayed correctly below each other. That's odd, because you would normally select this this option when you want the articles to be displayed on the left half of the article.

So you might try option C and see if it works for you.

bloc

TP v1.0 beta3 might solve these issues, a whole lot of bugs have been fixed for that version. Beta2 was a bit rushed to counteract some serious flaws in beta1. Beta3 should be out soon, within days if nothing major turns up.

Nr|Five

Alright...

I just created couple of catagories and articles and I can change the layout as set in the front page options. So that works with my 0.98 version of TP.

But how can I get that layout with blocks? Or is that something that will work / come with the new TP version?

// Nr|Five

bloc

No, you need to first select the "frontblocks" to show on frontpage, then select a layout setting for the front PANEL. The frontPAGE layout setting only affects articles and forumposts, blocks are treated like other blocks in panels. The only difference is that "front" panel show only on frontpage and that it is IN the content area, rather than outside of it.

Nr|Five

Found the evil source of my problems! Thought I'd report it back

I had SMF 1.1.4 running with TP 0.98, this has very limited options to move blocks around. With the latest SMF and latest TP you can do a lot more (it looks awsome btw!)

So now I changed the layout properly and it works!

// Nr|Five

Tyrsson

Is this issue solved or do you still require assistance?
PM at your own risk, some I answer, if they are interesting, some I ignore.

dnrfrench

I have an issue that I hope someone can help with... I am using smf 1.1.9 and tp 0.983.. I want to make a front page, single page whole page, with a background image and a video player over one of the blocks on my background, which I can figure out the coding for, but my issue is that when I set it as a featured article (the only way it will display it) then I cannot use my header I made with my links in it to go to the forums page... I know I have the forums page linked right in the header, but when I set my front panel to view featured and articles, it is still using the forums index so when I click on forums it just stays on my featured page... how do I get the featured page to show and not use the forum index, I took all the buttons out of my code because I made my own in the header and mapped the buttons in my header to work properly... I am self taught with all of this and I just cant seem to get this part to work... if I dont make it featured and if I choose any other setting in the front panel then my page only shows up as a link or is blank... so here's my site... this is what I am looking for...

hxxp:www.asylumclan.com/forums/index.php [nonactive] -- I just want a single front page article...

so I want hxxp:asylumclan.com [nonactive] to show my article and hxxp:asylumclan.com/forums/index.php [nonactive] to show my forums - without having to make a new file  and use a redirect (if possible)

and I only want the tp blocks to show in my forums like they currently do and not any other place..

oh by the way I am using a modified alienation tp theme if that makes a difference

just wondering how I go about this and make it work how I want it to... hope this isn't too confusing... any advice would be appreciated... Thanks!!

bloc

The forum is by default the index.php, but TinyPortal changes that to be index.php?action=forum, while the sole index.php now will point to a virtual "frontpage" within the forum.

In your setup it seems you have the root folder for the frontpage while /forums/ for the actual forum..in that case I would make the /forums/ part "go directly to forum" which you set in admin / frontpage & settings. Then it will never actually show a frontpage.

dnrfrench

so your saying make the forums go to forum, but then my frontpage doesn't show...  I just wanted it to work through the forums for all browser and resolution types as my forums do now and be centered under the header like my blocks and boards are... and I am afraid if i just put it in the index.html that it will not pick up the .css it needs to work properly..

edit:: this is what I did so solve the problem.. I used the page# for my article in a redirect in the index.html this way it comes right into where it should... not sure if that was the way to do it but it works, also not sure if I can do multiple pages with it like that either.. any ideas??

I checked the codes and they were not altered that I could see as to make it not work properly just cant seem to make it work normally... do you think that I would be able to use several pages now or no??

heres what it looks like now...

http://www.asylumclan.com/forums/index.php?page=8 - this is my redirect link

hxxp:www.asylumclan.com [nonactive]

dnrfrench

well ust like I thought though in firefox it doesnt look right... thought by going through the article page it would pick up the .css and work right... but it doesn't any ideas? I really dont want to fo through the pain of creating something for each resolution like I had my original main page, because thats a pain for the site owner to update especially when he doesn't know how to code at all.. and we ran into some people having other resolutions then I had created files for so it was a pain.. any help would be appreciated though, maybe I am just going about it wrong I don't know..

bloc

What I meant by setting frontpage to "going to forum" is that once you do that, there is no frontpage from TP, only single articles and the forum of course. So you could then make a simple index.html in root folder, which had links INTO the forum folder..and normally then the TP there would show its own frontpage first, but by that setting you rather go directly into forum, as you like it to - without losing any of TP otherwise.

I am not sure this is what you seek though.

dnrfrench

well I got it coded so it works in all browsers and resolutions, I just haven't tested the multiple pages yet... but what your saying is if i put my script in the index.html then it will always show my article first and its not joined in with the forum correct? .. i thought about that and was originall going to do that but the site owner doesn't have any programs to open the file with to make the simple changes that he would need to in order to keep it updated, but if its under articles he can just do it in the admin panel, maybe I just am not understanding what you said..

but I think you are saying if I put my forum links in the index.html and my article in the admin section where articles go then my article page would come up and my forums would still be able to be activated with my forum button on my header.. is this correct??

if not than I am not following you and I appologize..

I have the index.html redirecting to my page which used my exsisting header from the forums and my forums/index.php just takes me to the forums now and not my page like it was doing when I had my article set as featured and made the front page show featured and articles, see the problem I was having is that if I set it to foums only it wouldn't show the article, when I set it to featured and article it wouldn't allow my forum button to take me to the forums (it just kept taking me to my article page) because the featured article page came up as forums/index.php with no page number just as the index which is what my forums should have come up as not my article page..

dnrfrench

well multiple pages doesn't work like this so I will need to try and understand what you were trying to say

bloc

Yes, you have to either be redirected to a TP frontpage within the forum - or directly into the forum. You could of course redirect to index.php?action=forum too.

Multiple pages within a single article isn't a feature - yet. If thats what you meant here.

motomaniacs

hello i got a forum using smf 1.1.11 with the latest tinyportal
i having trouble with the image at the frontpage
beacuse it is only show the bbcode
check my attachmet

motomaniacs

Kindred

1- do not  bump. especially not after just 1 hour.
2- post mod specific questions in the thread or site dedicated to supporting that mod.
3- the TP Blocks do not use BBS code, they use HTML.
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Advertisement: